Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, first post on this forum. I've recently ordered a Taurus Model 66, which seems like an amazing firearm. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the rubber grips, and I'm not fond of the existing grip market for Taurus revolvers. I do really like these grips for the Ruger GP100 (http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/6110185354/9897304/acf67a.jpg). It's hard to tell just by comparing pictures, but they look similar to Taurus grips in terms of where the screw is, but I can't be sure. Has anyone does this or know if they are compatible grips?

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net!

I can't answer the question about the Ruger grips on a Taurus Model 66, but I can state, unequivocally, that the M66 is one stellar revolver. :D

Ask me how I know. ;)

M66 .357 Mag (2).JPG

Reactions: Sekol

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,244 Posts
greeting from Kansas.jpg someone with more knowledge, basically anyone, will be along shortly to answer your question.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Thanks forthe link, Miss Kitty! there are some nice looking grips there. My 6" 66 is old - from the 80's and still has it's original grips, but this will be my first summer shooting it and my hand perspires when it's really hot so I usually prefer a rubber grip then. Looks like I might find something to suit me here! I'm sure the OP will be able to, also!;)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Hey folks, first post on this forum. I've recently ordered a Taurus Model 66, which seems like an amazing firearm. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the rubber grips, and I'm not fond of the existing grip market for Taurus revolvers. I do really like these grips for the Ruger GP100 (http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/6110185354/9897304/acf67a.jpg). It's hard to tell just by comparing pictures, but they look similar to Taurus grips in terms of where the screw is, but I can't be sure. Has anyone does this or know if they are compatible grips?
Whatever you find out, let me know. I've got a Rossi 461 that I would love to find some workable wood for.

Bill

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, the GP100 grip frame is different than the Taurus 66 grip frame. I have an early '90s GP100 with the same Ruger factory issue wood insert grips you show in your link, LuckyBob. Even the wood insert grips fit over the same grip frame shown in the link below.

Ruger GP100 - Real Guns - Rugers GP100 .357 Magnum

Taurus 66 - LaserLyte installation on Taurus 66 revolver. | Surviving Urban Crisis

That's a great look at both frames thank you! I notice the Taurus you show is an older model. Do the newer ones use the same square butt frame?

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
That's a great look at both frames thank you! I notice the Taurus you show is an older model. Do the newer ones use the same square butt frame?
I wish I knew. I only have an Taurus 85 not a 66.

Be sure to let us know for sure by giving us an update when you get your 66. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As soon as my dealer gets one from his distributor for me I'll post a follow-up. I think I might try my hand at making my own wood grips with the help of my base's wood shop. I've got small hands so thinner wood grips might be nice

1 - 12 of 12 Posts