Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this little contraption at my FFL the other day. It kind of caught my eye as maybe a fun little, lets play around pistol for targets. It has a 10" barrel, Bi-pod, and a man made manufactured stock that look pretty good. All in it would run just a hair under $300 OTD. Come with the small 10 round Ruger 22/10 magazine, but will hold the 20 and 30 round clips as well as the larger round drum clips from the 10/22.
Larry said it made for some good inexpensive shooting time. I does not come with any sights however, so this would be a little added cost. OR I guess I could grab the old scope that came with one of my Remington .22 rifles.

On Edit, here is a link to the Ruger Charger site:
http://www.ruger.com/products/22Charger/models.html

I guess in the back of my head I am thinking would this be a good gun to break the Grandkids into shooting with. Small, compact, bi-pod, can't damage the stock.
So has anyone here spend any time with one of these little pistols, if so what was your impressions. Or to the T/A forum members, what do you think in general....look fun....look stupid.....or look else where.....

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
As much as I find the idea appealing, I can't stand the bulky, heavy, giant stock they put on it. I want something lighter, slimmer, easier to hold than that thing. The only way this thing is getting shot by me is my butt on a bench with that thing setting on its bipod. I want something I can pack into the woods and enjoy. I have looked several times at the Kel Tec PLR 22 as a much more viable solution but just haven't sunk the money yet as I would rather have the same thing in the Charger. I know someone will at some point make a better stock and I guess I'm willing to wait.

Kel Tec CNC

·
Registered
318 Posts
I got one for my son when he was 8 years old. He is 11 now. It is the most fun for him. Youngsters can handle it very well. I can't tell you how much i like the Charger and we have put 1000's of rounds downrange with it. It's just a smaller version 10/22. Accurate and reliable. We have 3 of the BX25 magazines for it. I have used it several times to teach my friends kids how to shoot. Anything that is that different gets their attention and once it becomes fun, you have a new shooter on your hands!!!!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I have a friend who is madly in love with this .22. He is a Ruger fan, (already owning a Mark I as well as a 10/22) so it makes sense. But he also likes handguns along the lines of the T/C Contender, etc. He keeps trying to convince me that I need to buy one! :D

·
Super Moderator
13,879 Posts
I checked out the link, and uh, oh! I think Ellen Ripley may have left something behind.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Surprising it is not bad to hold with one hand....though it may depend on the size of the hand doing the holding. My thoughts are along the line of an easy to use .22LR to teach the young'uns to shoot. The bipod provides the security of holding the forgrip in place, yet allowing the youngsters to take aim in the beginning stage before moving on to a rifle.
And I gotta admit that it looks like it could be fun to sit up on top of my across the bed tool box on my F250 and do a little plinking on the ranch.
Thanks for the replies so far,

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Well I've seen them and had a 10/22, basically a short little 10/22. Great guns for what they are, which to me is a shoot from a bench plinker. I mean it comes with a bi pod so that pretty well tells you how to use it right there. I expect it would be a fun small game hunting gun to. I'd just put a reddot on it and have fun :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts