Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This one is a real jewel. Made in 1969 and it made it this far without a transfer bar conversion. Overall it is a scaled down version of a single six big bore. The Bearcat has a perfect sized Annie Oakley grip and is a well built side arm.
The hammer was speckled in rust, so a tear down was in order.
Revolver Trigger Air gun Font Gun barrel

If you are un-familiar with the intricacies of a Bearcat, I strongly recommend cracking open an appropriate owner's manual at this time.
This was easy.
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

This was a little harder. The the revolver parts were all tight fitting.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Here is where the manual may come in handy, especially during re-assembly.
Wood Tool Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

I was bummed out to find that the trigger guard was made of yellow anodized aluminum, so I polished off the hammer rust and put it back together after a thorough cleaning.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Super Moderator
36,099 Posts
They're cute little devils and would make a handy hiking gun.

Reactions: Lomax

·
Administrator
18,940 Posts
Congratulations on your new-to-you Ruger Bearcat and may it serve you well! :cool: :)

I consider these to be a modern classic revolver and they are very accurate and well made. Had one for awhile, but my Brother has it now.

·
Super Moderator
36,099 Posts
What's a "super Bearcat"?

·
Super Moderator
36,099 Posts
Hmm, well, sounds like my aluminum construction Ruger Wrangler is sort of an over-sized Bearcat. :D

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
.22LR? Why should that be an issue?
It's priced way over the top for what you get is what I meant. Why waste money on .22 ammo when for the same or less money you can shoot centerfire ammo?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hmm, well, sounds like my aluminum construction Ruger Wrangler is sort of an over-sized Bearcat. :D
The Wrangler is definitely kin to the Ruger single action six gun family. I had the chance to see a Wrangler at a buddie's house one time. When, Dick, brought his gun out, he said it wasn't operating properly and wanted me to take a look at it. I said, "Sure, let me see your cute little yellow squirt gun." Insulted by yours truly, Dick, put his cute little yellow squirt gun back in the box and tossed it back into a kitchen drawer. It was an enjoyable moment for me. Dick is the Democratic party chairman for Henderson county. Good friend that he is, he deserves all I can dish out.

My favorite single action sixes.
Air gun Hat Trigger Material property Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
It's priced way over the top for what you get is what I meant. Why waste money on .22 ammo when for the same or less money you can shoot centerfire ammo?
That's why you stack it deep when it's cheap. I knew that I had about 17K rounds when I found another 7K+ rounds that I forgot about.

I don't worry about shooting it because I know that I can replace it when it gets to a price I like again. Will it be as cheap as what I have now? No, but it will be less than it is now.

Sent from my BE2026 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
This is the 2nd time now that I've read .22lr being compared as the same price as centerfire ammo. Where is this phenomenon at? It never was the case where I live, even during the ammo shortage, unless you're talking about some exotic Olympic target grade ammo, and that has always been high. Granted, .22lr is more expensive than it used to be, but then so is centerfire ammo.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
This is the 2nd time now that I've read .22lr being compared as the same price as centerfire ammo. Where is this phenomenon at? It never was the case where I live, even during the ammo shortage, unless you're talking about some exotic Olympic target grade ammo, and that has always been high. Granted, .22lr is more expensive than it used to be, but then so is centerfire ammo.
My point is even if the going price of .22 ammo is 1/3 the cost of 9mm, IMHO, you're still dollars ahead using a 9 vs. a 22 for a CC gun. Oh sure, if you want to shoot .22 ammo just for plinking or target shooting then fine but, AFAIC, .22 ammo is still waaaaay overpriced for what you get. Sure, it will dispatch humans & animals effectively enough, but for CC, you have a round that you can't trust will ignite when you want it to.

·
Super Moderator
36,099 Posts
I LOVE MY RIMFIRES! No, I don't carry one daily, but they're quite useful as woods guns. The squirrels don't stand a chance. :D And, you can sure carry a lot of 'em without getting weighed down. I think of 'em more in terms of rifles, though. I grew up in the woods hunting squirrels with a .22 rifle and moved back to the woods a dozen years ago. Pistols and revolvers aren't as useful afield, though they're easier to tote and can do the job if accurate enough. I do have one I think of as a little hand held rifle...a Ruger Mk 2 with a red dot on it. Oh, then there's my scoped .22LR Contender barrel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This one is a real jewel. Made in 1969 and it made it this far without a transfer bar conversion. Overall it is a scaled down version of a single six big bore. The Bearcat has a perfect sized Annie Oakley grip and is a well built side arm.
The hammer was speckled in rust, so a tear down was in order.
View attachment 488212
If you are un-familiar with the intricacies of a Bearcat, I strongly recommend cracking open an appropriate owner's manual at this time.
This was easy.
View attachment 488213
This was a little harder. The the revolver parts were all tight fitting.
View attachment 488214
Here is where the manual may come in handy, especially during re-assembly.
View attachment 488215
I was bummed out to find that the trigger guard was made of yellow anodized aluminum, so I polished off the hammer rust and put it back together after a thorough cleaning.
View attachment 488216
Mine was born in early 1966... (y)
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

1 - 20 of 21 Posts