Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A range report on my Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 7.62X39mm.
The rifle handles well and is light. Loading it for me must be done with the magazine removed. Loading and removing the magazine is like any other Ruger. Since it had been some time since I had dealt with a Ruger magazine it took some practice to get used to it. A 5 round mag comes with the rifle although others are available. The balance and weight of the rifle with this 5 round magazine meets my needs.
The scope on the rifle is a Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm Riflescope with Duplex Reticle. It is for me a superb combination with this rifle. If you have used Leupolds, you get it. Simply put it is a superior American made optic.
The ammo was Tula 7.62X39mm FMJ steel cased ammo that I got from Walmart. It and the rifle performed perfectly. This could well be my ranch plinking and varmint ammo now that I used it.
With any new rifle, initially it shot low but I sighted it in. I am pleased with the results. It was easy with the Leupold scope to zero. For me it is zeroed. It took some practice and now I am a happy small Texas rancher.
The next question is the 7.62X39mm caliber. Based on my combat experience and that of contemporary troops, it is a hard hitting round. When I shot the empty Pepsi can and the water bottle, the rounds easily passed through with good velocity and good accuracy.
The pundits and keyboard warriors question the impact of the 7.62X39mm. Essentially they are reading ballistic charts with not much real world experience with bad guys shooting that caliber at you. It hits hard and is deadly. Ask anyone who has been hit by one.
The use for me with this rifle is:
1. Varmints on the ranch
2. Whitetail deer
3. Cheap plinking with metal case ammo

Overall, this a light and easy handling rifle. Recoil is mild. It is quick to get on target. It meets my needs perfectly.
Future additions:
A gun rack for the Polaris 500 Ranger is a must. That will happen soon and the rifle will accompany me everywhere I take the UTV.

Attachments

·
9,106 Posts
Excellent review, I was hoping it would be a good shooter, and it seems it is. I agree the 762x39 pill is nothing to scoff at, good for most game in North America. Many folks around here use SKS's for short range deer hunting and are quite successful.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
7.62 pounded my spot weld into a huge mouse on my lip, but it was the round that earned me the Expert Riflemans' Badge that graced my Class A's for my entire service!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I have the CZ 527 in 7.62x39. Basically the same rifle. I like the way it handles.
Congratulations on your new rifle. I suspect it will serve you well.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I don't have a 7.62X39 but would like to get the Ruger. I don't know why many discount the round, it's basically .30-30 performance. And we know a few deer have been taken by them.
I have a standard American in .308 Win and it's a tack driver. Fantastic budget rifle family.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
I might have to get one in 300 blackout. There was a guy on YouTube ringing steel with one at 1100 yards.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
23,216 Posts
This rifle in this caliber sounds very interesting. Thanks for the report.

Preacher, can you give us a review on that CZ?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I like the x39 American idea. Now lets hope Ruger gives us a 7.62x54r. Talk about cheap hard hitting good longer range ammo. I would so buy one.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I might have to get one in 300 blackout. There was a guy on YouTube ringing steel with one at 1100 yards.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That would have a trajectory like a basket ball!

Reactions: Cariwine

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I have two SKS rifles one a paratrooper that I bought new for 89.00 the other is one that I purchased used but in pristine condition .. Both are Chinese models .. Both more accurate than I am .. ..
So I have plenty of ammo .. I really like the concept of the Ruger American ranch rifle ...

But having said that I'd like to see one in 30-30 .. I like the heavier bullet .. 170gr

Now that major ammo makers are making high quality hunting 7.62x39 ammo .. Im sure this will help this great Russian round a freezer filler !!!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trajectory is largely based on what pundits say and not real experience. For the ranges that I shot at and my use it is perfect.

I have found that most gun writers have little real world experience with 7.62X39mm and tend to be ignorant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts