Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a 9mm. (I traded my Beretta a couple of weeks ago.) I was in the LGS today and they have a brand new SR9c for about $550. It's a really sweet looking gun and everyone I know that has one absolutely RAVES about them.
I was looking around and saw a new P95 in the case as well. Played with it for a few minutes and it seemed like a good gun. They want about $350 for that one. I don't know anyone that owns one and have only done cursory research on reviews.

Now I'm torn! Love the price point on the P95, but I really like the SR9. Does anyone have any horror stories or glowing praise regarding the P95? I figure either way, I'm getting a Ruger but if the weapons are comparable, I would be HAPPY to save $200 on my purchase. So fellow forum fanatics, what say you?

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I had the P 95 and I made the stupid mistake of selling it to a buddy. I miss it, it was a great gun, accurate and reliable. I never owned the SR9, but just from the looks of it, I would prefer the P 95.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
P95s are tanks - real tack drivers. I sold mine when I went to all striker and light DAO pistols. They used to be the best $300 gin on the market - IMHO.

Tyhe SR9 & 40 line are excellent guns. I'd have one in a heartbeat. $550 is overpriced. Shop it - you'll see. Get into $425-450 and you'll be loving it - again, IMHO.

*here's an SR40 in stock for $425 - Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri. :)

Reactions: CB236

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I love my SR9c. It has been very accurate and reliable. My second best shooter behind my PT 1911 as far as pistols go. Small enough to carry, but has the balance and accuracy of larger handguns. That said, there are lots of good 9mms out there.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I loved my P95, but a tack driver it is not. The three I've shot are combat accurate. The stock sights leave much to be desired, and there are not any aftermarket sight options. The P95 does not have tight tolerances which leads to reliable function over bullseye accuracy.

I sold one. I missed it. Bought another. Had a hard time accepting the P95 for what it is. Sold it.

If you want the best gun within the $299 to $350 price range, a P95 is hard to beat.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
The P95 is a tank, as others have pointed out.

If it fits your hand, it's a great buy. Way different from the striker Tupperware for sure.

I think the SD9VE and the P95 are the biggest bang for the buck out there. With the P95, if you run out of bullets, you can always throw it at him. :D

Reactions: Wino

·
Registered
606 Posts
I looked at a SR9C which I liked a lot, then a P95 and hated it, then I tried a Taurus 809C and bought it. The rest is history and the 809 was cheaper than the P95.... Bonus!! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
P95s are tanks - real tack drivers. I sold mine when I went to all striker and light DAO pistols. They used to be the best $300 gin on the market - IMHO.

Tyhe SR9 & 40 line are excellent guns. I'd have one in a heartbeat. $550 is overpriced. Shop it - you'll see. Get into $425-450 and you'll be loving it - again, IMHO.

*here's an SR40 in stock for $425 - Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri. :)
mingaa - you hit the nail square on the head. Don't every buy a gun because a buddy swears by it. Fire it first.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. My dad has a SR9. Not sure if it is the c or not, but he might be willing to let it go at a decent price if I mow his lawn and cook him supper one night. :D I think I'll go fire the P95 as well. Maybe I'll end up with both!

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
My P95 was probably the least accurate handgun I have ever owned, and I have owned at least 40 over the years. That being said I fired a friends and it was decent, not the most accurate I have seen but not bad either so I am guessing the one I bought was just a lemon. The advantage of the P95 over the SR series is the P95 will always make you look thinner.

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Registered
698 Posts
My P95 was probably the least accurate handgun I have ever owned, and I have owned at least 40 over the years. That being said I fired a friends and it was decent, not the most accurate I have seen but not bad either so I am guessing the one I bought was just a lemon. The advantage of the P95 over the SR series is the P95 will always make you look thinner.
Nope. That's just the way the P95 is. Looser clearances make for a more reliable handgun. The trade off is accuracy. The P95 will go bang every time, and will give a decent shooter consistent combat effective center mass hits out to 10 to 15 yards. The P95 is a workhorse, a daily driver.

Once you step up to the SR series in price, options open up. Sig SP2022 is one highly underrated handgun, great value for the dollar.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Love my SR9C. Trigger is great and it's extremely accurate.

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
You definitely can't go wrong with the P95, as the others have noted it's an extremely reliable pistol and it has an excellent price point IMO. I can't speak to the SR9 but have only ever heard great things about them from other owners. Being a big proponent of anything Ruger I highly doubt you could make a bad decision here.

Reactions: leejack

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm in the market for a 9mm. (I traded my Beretta a couple of weeks ago.) I was in the LGS today and they have a brand new SR9c for about $550. It's a really sweet looking gun and everyone I know that has one absolutely RAVES about them.
I was looking around and saw a new P95 in the case as well. Played with it for a few minutes and it seemed like a good gun. They want about $350 for that one. I don't know anyone that owns one and have only done cursory research on reviews.

Now I'm torn! Love the price point on the P95, but I really like the SR9. Does anyone have any horror stories or glowing praise regarding the P95? I figure either way, I'm getting a Ruger but if the weapons are comparable, I would be HAPPY to save $200 on my purchase. So fellow forum fanatics, what say you?
I bought my P95DC several years ago. It is one of my favorite guns. Simple, dependable, and totally reliable. In the thousands of rounds I have shot through it, with all kinds of ammo, I have never had any malfunctions of any kind. I completely trust this gun in any circumstance. It is super simple to strip and clean, and is totally reliable even if you don't clean it for several hundred rounds. I don't know about the SR9, but I do know about the P95. I would highly and totally reccomend it.

·
32,804 Posts
The two P-95s I own were used for IDPA and the guns loved everything from 115 gr.to 145gr. You read that right. I used the Silver Bear Russian made ammo for IDPA competition in this area. 145gr..

I still own both.

The SR-9 and SR-9c ( own one of each) are slimmer, come with reversible back panels,1 each, to help the hand conform to the grip.

Both are slimmer than the P95. The SR-9 is big but a good holster will help things out. It holds 17 rounds in the magazine.

With the SR-9c the 17 round mags will will work from the SR-9 as well as the 10 rounders made for the SR-9c.

For CCW carry the 10 rounder is in place in the gun and the 17 is used for extra ammo should it be needed. Being about 5'8" means that having a longer magazine sticking out of the gun would be much harder to hide and carry.

Most of my handguns are Taurus or Ruger products, thus the two Ruger links at the bottom of my signature.

For research I go to those two places rather than the larger gun forums when looking for hard core data.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank all of you for the great information. Looks like I have a decision to make. Actually, I think I'll go with the P95 and talk to dad about he SR9. Either way, I win!

Reactions: leejack

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
so many guns so little time must get up earlier every day to shoot them all cause wife keeps adding on new ones she likes the sr 9 the sr9 c was tohard to hold whenshot it

jhp

1 - 19 of 19 Posts