Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a new target pistol for my daughter. She's soon to be 13 and I really want to get her a pistol to call her own. She loves plinking and been shooting her Cricket, but she's totally outgrown it. And ever since I got my Ruger SR22 last year, which she loves, the single shot rifle just doesn't do it for her anymore. My LGS has the 22/45 Target model for $282. We plan to check it out this weekend.

Any thoughts from some of you who might own one?

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I get to shoot this Ruger 22/45 several times a year, thanks to a co-worker of mine that owns it.

It may be the best all around .22 LR pistol I've ever fired. It has great sights, a good trigger, and a nice sized grip that fits most people. It's an easy gun to shoot well and is plenty accurate, too.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
This is a great shooting gun that she will love. I have one and my son likes to shoot it every time we go to the range.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I have one and three other .22 pistols. The .22/45 has become my favorite.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Hopefully it is the Rp model (removable grips) they are great guns if it's a MK iii there are a few cheap mods($10.00) to do on it which will make it a much better gun. these include the hammer bushing mod ($10 bushing makes takedown easier and mags drop free) and the slingshot mod (free makes gun much easier it operate Randy

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
As I said, the 22/45 has become my favorite to shoot and I really enjoy shooting all my .22's. My favorite to own is the 78 vintage Browning Challenger, but the trigger is too light to take anywhere but to the range. The grips I put on the Ruger were originally intended for my 1911, I just enjoy shooting the 1911 with the rubber grips and they fit with no modifications at all.

2012-04-05_13-02-54_355.jpg 2012-04-05_13-06-40_54.jpg 2012-05-19_16-51-24_595.jpg

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
oooh, there's that Bersa again! ;)
I really like the Bersa/Firestorm, it looks funky with that 6" barrel, has the exposed hammer and decocker and you can fire the first round double action.

It is accurate, although the other .22 hand guns are more accurate. What I really like about it, is I just keep it in a nylon holster in the console of my truck, ready to go.

The others are always kept in a case unless I have them out. If I carried one in a holster out walking around on a lease, I would carry the Ruger .22/45.

The Dirty Harry looking revolver is a Rexio/Pucara. They were imported from South America, for just a couple of years and were an economy revolver, but I have really been impressed with the performance and accuracy. As long as .22 ammo remains hard to come by, I will probably keep it handy for my youngest son and grandsons as it slows them down on burning ammo, even though it is 9 shots. I think some old cowboy must have carried it around on a ranch as it does have holster wear on the end of the underlug and it came with a leather holster. We have probably only put about 300 rounds through it, but there has never been a misfire and timing is great.
The only thing I would really like is some larger grips.

As I've said about the Browning Challenger, 1978 vintage, I love the condition and feel of the pistol, but it has too light of a trigger to consider carrying in a holster and is relegated strictly to firing range duty.

Reactions: sparks9293

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully it is the Rp model (removable grips) they are great guns if it's a MK iii there are a few cheap mods($10.00) to do on it which will make it a much better gun. these include the hammer bushing mod ($10 bushing makes takedown easier and mags drop free) and the slingshot mod (free makes gun much easier it operate Randy
Rugers website has it listed as the "P512MKIII".

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Rugers website has it listed as the "P512MKIII".
the p512nkIII does not have the removal pannels(grips) If you have a choice the P512MKIIIRP is worth the extra $40 or so it takes 1911 grips and you can use them to make it fit you better heres mine with hogue 1911 wraparound grips installed

but even without the removable grips it is a great gun and you can mod the gun to take 1911 grips later if you want Randy

Reactions: sparks9293
1 - 11 of 11 Posts