Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of Ruger's 10/22? I want one. Looks like a lot of fun, and I've got a soon to be six year old grand, I'd like to teach firearms to with one. That aside, pros, cons, likes and dislikes.

Registered
Pro's: everything Con's: Well it only comes with one ten round rotary mag. Get the carbine version if it's for the youngins.

Registered
One good thing i can say about them is you have a million different configurations you can put them in. Most people that get one tend to buy another one, and there's extended mags all over the place for them.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The carbine, is what I had in mind. But the target model is giving me an itch. Maybe one of each. Nah, I think I could enjoy the carbine just as much!

Registered
The 10/22 is the most popular 22LR rifle on the planet and the aftermarket is ENDLESS. They are not great out of the box but decent and most folks can't stop plunking money into them. The next most popular on the list is a Remington 597 and I own one of these in an Archangel kit (AR furniture with free float barrel). It is a ton of fun and I use it for varminting. It shoots 1" groups at 50 yds with a red dot sight. I can hit pie pan size groups at 100 yds with the red dot and suspect a conventional scope would improve things if zero'd properly. Savage and Marlin also make fine 22s.

Registered
Get a 10/22 with a threaded barrel and then you can put a can on it and shoot in your own backyard. It's only money!

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Noise isn't a problem, but I just looked at the Academy website, and they have what I'm looking for for $197.99. Plus tax of course and the short ride into Lubbock. Good buy?

Registered
Noise isn't a problem, but I just looked at the Academy website, and they have what I'm looking for for $197.99. Plus tax of course and the short ride into Lubbock. Good buy?
I think Walmart is $189.95, but I'd just about soon pay the extra 8 bucks to buy from Academy.

Registered
I have had mine since i was 12 and it has a few fail to eject issues and always has once every 50 rounds or so a spent casing gets stuck in front on the bolt. Over all i would not trade it for anything cheap fun. I have the synthetic stock and stainless barrel version.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think Walmart is $189.95, but I'd just about soon pay the extra 8 bucks to buy from Academy.
I really expected to have to pay more. WalMart does have the rotary mags in stock, but not the rifles according to an online check. Academy probably does too.

Administrator
I absolutely love my Ruger 10/22. If I could only keep two rifles, it would be number two. I'd have a hard time selecting number one though.

I have four 10 round mags and I'm going to buy one of the newer metal 50 round mags here soon. I'd like to try it out and if it works pretty well, I'll probably buy a few more.

Mine was already customized a bit when I picked it up in a pawn shop - Hogue stock, short bull barrel, and a Burris 2-7x scope. And whoever owned it knew how to sight-in a scope, because it's dead solid accurate.

Registered
This will definitely be my next .22LR buy. It'll fit right in with my Glenfield and Savage

Super Moderator
I have a Glenfield model 20 I bought when we lived in Alaska. I'll never give it up, but a 10/22 is at the top of my "get next" list

Registered
I would like the new 10/22 Breakdown. I bet it would fit in his backpack.

Super Moderator
I got my brother one when I was 18 and I have owned one for 20 years. Its a great gun I have a synthetic stock and a Bushnell 3x9 with see through mounts. You can hit clay pigeons with them and 100 yards is not a problem. Its one gun I will never be without. I must be lucky because mine is vary accurate and I have no complaints.

Attachments

Registered
You cannot go wrong with a 10/22, period. The aftermarket can be too much when you start to look to modify. Maybe it is the one I have but it is not as accurate as my Savage 64. The 10/22 is bone stock but you can make them shoot the lights out.

Registered
My wife bought me one for Christmas about 20 years ago and it is still our favorite, but if I had won the Big Lottery a few weeks ago I would probably have bought a Browning 22 Auto to keep it company. I have always loved the looks of the Browning!

Registered
I just bought a 10/22 last week at Wally World for $197. It is the all weather version, stainless and synthetic stock. It was $2 less than the blued with wood stock. I bought a couple of Ruger BX-25 mags for it and have about 300 rounds thru it. Sights are off a little but it is fun to shoot. Not as accurate as my M&P 15-22 but I have already been looking at scopes for it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts