Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone working on a custom 10/22 build, or anyone else thinking about doing a 10/22 build? Brownells now offers custom 10/22 receivers, in plain model, picatinny railed model and a take down model, and I am thinking about a build. I would like to hear anything anyone has to say about building one of these, and any experiences that anyone has to pass on about these.

·
Administrator
35,289 Posts
Well sure ! I'm trying to do mine but its slow going. I will have to piece mine together a part at a time. I have a pretty plain jane 10/22, and the first thing I did was buy a new chrome trigger group for it. That seems to work great, so next I'll be looking at buying a bull barrel for mine. Since I went chrome on the trigger group, I'll probably buy a stainless bull barrel when I'm ready to do that. Then, the most important piece, IMO, is the stock. And, typically by far the most expensive. You can spend anywhere from $80 to well over $500 for a new stock. After that, a good scope, and you're pretty much in business.

Here is a must-see forum for 10/22 junkies.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had a standard 10/22 with a Realtree camo pattern.

However, didn’t really it shoot it much. Then I acquired a Suppressor. I changed out my stock to a Magpul Hunter. I replaced the barrel to a fluted thread barrel. It has a one stage Timney Trigger. I replaced the recoil spring and recoil Rod. The only things I kept stock are the receiver and bolt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
My "build" was fairly tame compared with the guys who post on Rimfire.com- Ultimate Builds:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

A BX trigger group, a Volquartsen bolt release and somebody's extended magazine release lever, and a beautiful stock from Mikle's Stocks on eBay:

(Example). https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-22-Ruge...a=1&pg=2045573&_trksid=p2045573.c100667.m2042

Here's "Before"-

IMG_1490.jpg

And "After"-

IMG_1491.jpg

And since I've posted these pix before, and since it's been asked, "No, that's not the baby's changing table they're on- Just a padded top storage chest!"

I picked that particular stock because it is able to be refitted for a bull bbl quite easily when I get the bug.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I bought a 10/22 from my brother that was wearing a standard Ruger wood stock. I replaced the wood with the Magpul 10/22 synthetic stock and added a bipod to the built in accessory rail. My brother had installed a high end (I think) BSA scope which is more than enough for me and my bifocals. I added two pictures;

10_22 Magpul 1.jpg

10_22 Magpul 2.jpg

Reactions: airwrench

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I had thought about it hard but Ruger put the stainless steel 22" barrel in a fancy hard wood sportier stock on sale for $269. I put a bug scope on it. I'm hitting 3" clays on the 200yd berm with it and laughing like a schoolboy. I have less than $400 bucks in it. The 32 color reticle bug scope was a black Monday special from planet optics. Reg. $185 on sale $115 free shipping no tax.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
My "build" was fairly tame compared with the guys who post on Rimfire.com- Ultimate Builds:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

A BX trigger group, a Volquartsen bolt release and somebody's extended magazine release lever, and a beautiful stock from Mikle's Stocks on eBay:

(Example). https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-22-Ruge...a=1&pg=2045573&_trksid=p2045573.c100667.m2042

Here's "Before"-

View attachment 446133

And "After"-

View attachment 446135

And since I've posted these pix before, and since it's been asked, "No, that's not the baby's changing table they're on- Just a padded top storage chest!"

I picked that particular stock because it is able to be refitted for a bull bbl quite easily when I get the bug.
Man, looks pretty good to me! How's she shoot?

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
Haven't had it out for a while, (shame on me), but it shot quite nicely given the cheap, (excuse me, fine inexpensive), scope I bought. We don't have access any the moment to a "range" greater than 30 yards or so, which is not much of a proving ground. I think all 10/22 owners will agree that the rifle is limited mostly by the shooter, and I would agree...

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, I am thinking to catch the sales and acquire parts for the build, over time with no hurry. That is pretty much how I go about an AR build. I am trying to get a good idea of what works and what doesn't. I am thinking of a shrouded bull .920 barrel, either graphite or aluminium, or really anything lightweight. I am not looking to build a bench rifle, or a tactical rifle, but a hunter/plinker. But this is new and I am open to any information from those who have build one of these.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Yup, I am thinking to catch the sales and acquire parts for the build, over time with no hurry. That is pretty much how I go about an AR build. I am trying to get a good idea of what works and what doesn't. I am thinking of a shrouded bull .920 barrel, either graphite or aluminium, or really anything lightweight. I am not looking to build a bench rifle, or a tactical rifle, but a hunter/plinker. But this is new and I am open to any information from those who have build one of these.
I've heard good things about the Whistle Pig Barrels for lightweight builds. You can get pretty fancy with their barrels too.

https://www.wpgbc.com/

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bookmarked their site. They have some pretty nice lightweight barrels that run an ounce per inch of barrel, that is not bad for a .920 bull barrel. Pricing is not too bad either.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Here's my upgraded 10/22. I've been thinking about building a new one from one of those Brownell receivers but I have other projects that I'm working on too so who knows how long it will be before I get around to doing it. Looking forward to your build.

Damn! Nice! ;)

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I just ordered the first piece, a Ruger BX trigger. Looking at a Brownells barreled action for $125 with a bull barrel, or $130 with the sporter barrel. May go over to Rural King and see if they still have their 10/22s on sale. Tempted to build the M1 Carbine look alike.

·
Registered
338 Posts

Here's mine. It's an Archangel stock, Barska scope, BX trigger pack that measures right at 2.5lbs. An 18" KSA bull barrel and a bipod, which brand I cant remember right now. It'll shoot 3/4" groups at 100 yards with match ammo.
That’s a beautiful build.

What ammunition are you using with it? Eley Tenex?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram CDR_Glock

Reactions: once0217

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just ordered a Ruger Collector Series 10/22 from PSA who has them on sale for $200. I just got to looking at it and it has about 90% of the things I wanted, if I built one myself and at $200 I can not come close to building it. I will put the BX trigger in it and maybe a few other minor things, like an aftermarket mag release and bolt return. It comes with a $25 gift certificate from Ruger, so I may get a butt pad with the higher cheek pad. But I will be tweaking rather than a straight up build.....at this time.

Here is that rifle on sale at PSA
https://palmettostatearmory.com/rug...nd-collector-series-rifle-od-green-31115.html

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
Super choice! And what a discount...

Everything we do to a 10/22 is a "tweak"- The weapon is one of the finest free standing rifles around. We can customize, accessorize, and supersize to our heart's content, (and to the limit of our wallet), and in the end it's a 10/22.

It's just our​ 10/22....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts