Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Ruger 10/22 and aftermarket thoughts

3K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  TaurusArmedGuy50 
#1 ·
I may do one last purchase this year. This would be a Ruger 10/22 stainless. The price is pretty fair considering it comes with a second 10 round magazine and Hogue Rubber stock...did I mention that this is the stainless barrel for $209 plus tax. Now, here's the catch....the Hogue rubber stock is "PINK". PINK is fine for my grand daughters but not really my first choice.

I had thought of trying to spray the stock another color using a vinyl/rubber paint designed to remain flexible. I have heard that this has mixed results.

Guessing that the spray paint/dye plan doesn't work out my next plan would be to go aftermarket stock. Which is where I am in hope that you can give me some assistance.

The aftermarket for the Ruger 10/22 is almost as broad as that of the GLOCK. From my reading it appears that replacing the stock is a pretty much easy task or undertaking. However I have also read that some replacements do require some tweeking to the stock for proper fitment.

If you would please, what have you done in relation to customizing a Ruger 10/22. What issues did you face or was it an easy enjoyable puzzle to assemble?

Photos would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
My son has an archangel AR type stock. It's all polymer. He likes it, but I don't like the feel of it. I had an ATI stock on my 10/22. The forearm is metal and overall was a nice feel, but to clean the action, I had to completely disassemble it. Then re-zero after re-assembly. I recently installed a bull barrel and went back to the wood stock. I sanded out the barrel channel.
If the paint doesn't work out, you can usually find an inexpensive factory wood or polymer stock on eBay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 ·
There are a ton of stocks available, you are right there. Go to e-bay and take your pick. Reasonably priced and if you're okay with synthetic there should be no fitting or finishing. If you want a drop dead gorgeous wood stock go here. I don't think they require much effort to install.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/mikes.stocks?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754

#7 · (Edited)
My 10/22 stainless is wearing a custom stock from an eBay vendor that I will try to look up. As with Jeeper, the original stock is around here somewhere, (black plastic or resin or whatever that stuff is), and if you would like it, I am pleased to pay it forward.

Before-

Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft

After-

Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Airsoft gun

OK, the stock is by "Mike's Stocks" on eBay. Here's a link to one of his offerings:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-10-2...060721?hash=item2a8ab9d431:g:57wAAOSwM5RZkM8E

Be very careful in your decision to catch the 10/22 bug. It's as contagious as the 1911 flu and opportunities to assuage it with aftermarket purchases abound. Good luck...

(I just saw that TonyC sent you to the same eBay vendor. His stuff is excellent and mounting the 10/22 component is drop-in easy.)

(Another afterthought- The site Rimfire Central has a thread category dedicated to custom 10/22 builds. If you want a good idea of what can result from catching the bug, check it out.)

#8 ·
When it comes to available customization, the Ruger 10/22 showed ARs how to do it. I have never had trouble with removing or replacing a stock on a 10/22, it's really pretty straight forward stuff. Just keep in mind the thickness of the barrel when looking for a new stock. You might want to look at what's available from Ruger as a replacement.

Personally I like the 10/22 with a walnut wood stock stock, but here are but a few of the options from Midway.
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetL...1&userItemsPerPage=48&persistedItemsPerPage=0

#10 ·
Pink dyes black easily. Did a test to make sure. One day we will dye or paint the pink Rossi. Just makes sure every bit of oil is off it, I’m sure you knew that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jonrjen
#11 ·
It does appear that "Mikes Stocks" makes some beautiful furniture for firearms.

I appreciate the offer of the "Pay if forward" and may accept the offer once I get the new 10/22 in hand.

The link to the youtube video was a great help, if that young man and his video crew can do it I'm pretty sure I can also. And if I can't I can always let my 10 year old grandson watch the video and he can whip it right out for me. For the opportunity to shoot he would learn to mill out a whole new firearm if given the machinery. Oh and as long as the machinery has a screen to appear that it is a video game.

#12 ·
Putting on or taking off a hogue stock is easy. Try Rit Dye first. I've read that to get a deeper black, use dark brown and black. Maybe dye it brown first, then the black, or just mix the two colors. Then try automotive vinyl paint if the dye doesn't suit you. If that doesn't work, just buy a black Hogue stock to replace it.

#13 ·
I like the Hogue stock, bought it especially for my rifle. It gets rid of that ridiculous barrel band which helps accuracy a lot. But, my Hogue is BLACK. :laugh: The trigger wasn't the best, a Volquartsen hammer fixed that. I didn't install the trigger return spring, was too light and wouldn't reset the trigger. It's quite light and crisp with just the hammer installed.

I put an optic on mine. I had it laying around, anyway, a 1.5x4.5 Bushnell. I have a 25 round mag for it, but never use it. I don't like how it gets in the way of my forearm when shooting and prefer a flush fit stock/mag.

Notice the upper left 25 yard group, CCI Standard Velocity...affordable target ammo. :D

#14 ·
BTW, my 10/22 is a hunting rifle. It's taken quite a few squirrel since I moved here. I don't care about fancy bench rest stocks or folding mall ninja stocks. I just wanted a rifle stock and I like the rubbery non-slip feel of the Hogue. If I wanted to compete with it, I'd look around at a match and see what folks are using, but honestly, I don't think a fancy stock makes for any better groups. It's the guy behind the trigger. Getting that barrel band off the rifle DOES improve things, though. If I had the issue stock on it, I'd chunk the barrel band. It's not necessary.

Reactions: jonrjen
#17 · (Edited)
This is as tacticool mall ninja as I get. :rofl:

They do offer a M1 Carbine stock kit for the 10/22, but the gun doesn't look real authentic in it what with the difference in action. If I wanted something special for a blued 10/22, though, I'd consider it. I like M1 Carbines THAT much. :D They just look cool. The .30 carbine caliber is pretty worthless. So, a .22 caliber one is actually more useful, can hunt small game with it. :laugh:

AH, here ya go! I realize I'm sorta goofy about the M1 Carbine, but check out this link. It MIGHT appeal to you. :D It does have a barrel band and if you're wanting more accuracy, that isn't a good thing. It should shoot inside 1" at 25 yards, though, even with the barrel band.

https://www.eabco.com/m1_carbine_ruger_1022_tribute.htm

#18 ·
Ruger must have missed the forecast for pink rifles, they've been blowing them out for almost a year. Tons of new take off pink stocks on ebay so don't plan on getting much for it to put towards the new stock.

Some of the higher end bull barrels come with an over sized shank to be hand fitted to your particular receiver. The majority of aftermarket barrels slip right in with minor elbow grease. Never had to actually fit an aftermarket stock to a 10/22, I think manufacturers just say that to cover liability. I did have to relieve a factory synthetic stock so the magazine would drop free. As previously mentioned, the Archangel stock can be a pain if you shoot a lot. Plan at least an hour for every action cleaning. If you shoot a long string, one Archangel did warp at the hand guard with the sportster barrel which meant the scope had to be rezeroed again. The Magnum Research stock was my favorite because it is so universal: rugged enough for hunting, flat enough forearm for bag work, completely floated so you can use any barrel profile, stiffer than the factory and Hogue stock but lighter than the Hogue, short enough comb to be used with open sights, long enough LOP for adults, the action channel is molded tight to eliminate movement so you don't need to bed it. The only synthetic stock that has yielded 1" groups at 85 yards for me.

This $200 meager 22LR can become your most expensive rifle. It is incredibly easy to work on. You and your grand son will have a lot of fun. Youtube has a least a dozen videos to walk you through every possible modification or problem.

#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.