Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 85 UL with the original rubber grips still on and have been thinking about going to some wood. Seems like most of the pictures posted are showing wood. What do you folks like and why and what are the Pros. and Cons. of wood if any? Thanks, Karl And where might some of the best places be to buy from on line ?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I look at it this way, magnum cartridges get rubber, sub magnum get wood.

I love the looks of good wood...gives me a woodie to own a nice looking revolver. :D

But if there is such a thing as gun magnum hurpies, better use the rubber. ;D

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have an 85 with wood and the 85UL with rubber. Prefer the rubber especially in the summer when the hands get a little sweaty. And a bit more cushion, though not much with the UL.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I love the way wood grips look but much prefer the feel of rubber grips. If I purchase a handgun that comes with wood or plastic grips, they come off and on go a set of rubber Hogues.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I voted Other as I frequently don't like the feel of the factory rubber grips (many here have heard me say that Taurus small frame 2 finger grips don't agree with me) but I tend to like after market rubber grips. Wood is nice and I've liked them on a gun or 2 but push comes to shove I'd rather have rubber.

Steelheart

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well the only wooden I have is on a 22LR/22mag SA, There is does not bother me. But my hands are older and stiff, and painful at times. So I prefer, the Hogue Mono grip type, that gets my middle finger out from behind the trigger guard, and has enough bulk to allow for the use of all three fingers.

Still trying to figure out which one to put on my Rossi, 357.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Huh huh, huh huh, he said "wood", and "rubber".

Sorry, I've been watching my Beavis and Butthead reruns again.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I love the way wood grips look but much prefer the feel of rubber grips. If I purchase a handgun that comes with wood or plastic grips, they come off and on go a set of rubber Hogues.
I could not of said it better..lol :D
+1 on that T_9

My 2 revolvers before and after:

BEFORE :rolleyes:

AFTER :D

Now the only guns i would not do that to is the Single Action Cowboy guns, that would be sacrilegious :eek:.... :D

I find that wood grips and sweat don't mix well with me..gets kinda hot where i live :rolleyes: and when it is cold, gloves slip to much also..

Very Cool Post :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
I realize that its a semi auto... But you get the Idea... Its the Grips Right...<:))
Well there is a third Grip option to consider these days with Crimson Trace making Laser Grips for every Gun under the Moon...<:)) OK,... what option would you Pick for Accuracy, and what option would you pick for pure oozing Sex appeal...???

~StockPlastic~

~Crimson Trace Laser~

~WOOD~My Guardian .32~

·
Registered
532 Posts
Robby said:
Well the only wooden I have is on a 22LR/22mag SA, There is does not bother me. But my hands are older and stiff, and painful at times. So I prefer, the Hogue Mono grip type, that gets my middle finger out from behind the trigger guard, and has enough bulk to allow for the use of all three fingers.

Still trying to figure out which one to put on my Rossi, 357.
Same for me. All the DA revolvers I've owned have been fitted with aftermarket rubber grips. mostly Pachmayr Compac or Presentation. The Model 85 I owned was fine with the stock boot grips. My 605, however, was a bear to shoot with the stock grips and .357 ammo. I replaced them with Hogue Monogrips. All is right with the world. These grips, while a bit longer are no less concealable, IMO, and provide excellent control.
All the SA revolvers I've owned have had wooden grips. The SA revolver is an excellent platform for a set of very nice, fancy, custom grips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts