Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a set of these. They seem to be pretty nice and a definite improvement over the stock plastic ones. However, I'm having trouble mounting them because the stock screws are too short. The Hogues are a little thicker where the screws go in. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I wish I had known that when I ordered them. Hogue's site wants to charge me $9.00 in shipping just to ship 4 tiny screws. I don't know why they can't just drop them in an envelope and ship them USPS. I'm wondering if anyone else sells them.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Are you sure you are putting the correct set of grips on (IE: there should have been three different grips in your hogue purchase). If I recall correct not all of the screws are the same size. Also the top screw on the left side is a screw that goes into an insert that also holds the spring to the decocker, make sure that this is still correct. I have purchased 5 different sets of Hogue grips for different PT 92,99,100,101P pistols and the factory screws have worked with every application. You may have too press down with a little firm pressure to get the screw started, but they should work.
If you still can't get them to fit bring them on over to my place and I'll help you out.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Are you sure you are putting the correct set of grips on (IE: there should have been three different grips in your hogue purchase). If I recall correct not all of the screws are the same size. Also the top screw on the left side is a screw that goes into an insert that also holds the spring to the decocker, make sure that this is still correct. I have purchased 5 different sets of Hogue grips for different PT 92,99,100,101P pistols and the factory screws have worked with every application. You may have too press down with a little firm pressure to get the screw started, but they should work.
If you still can't get them to fit bring them on over to my place and I'll help you out.
The left side Hogue panel goes on with the Taurus screws, but just barely. Not many threads actually go into the frame.

The right side won't go on at all with the Taurus screws. If I put the scews through and look at the "inside" of the grip panel, the screws don't protrude out of the grip. There is not enough screw to go through the Hogue grip panel into the frame.

Either my gun is different or I'm not understanding you right. The left grip panel holds the safety spring in place. There is no extra panel to hold the spring in. The coil spring and detent that return the decocker to the middle position has no panel covering it either. There is a small hole in the frame where I can see the decocker coil spring, but there is no panel covering that either, only the grip panel covers these two springs.

In any case it's the right side panel that is too thick to put on with the Taurus screws. There were three panels in the package, but one of them is the non-decocker panel without the cutout at the top. It's a left side panel.

FWIW, mine is the PT101-P. IIRC it has a wider frame in the grip area to accomodate the larger 16 round magazines. It's possible that the PT101-P grip panels are a little thinner to compensate for the wider grip frame, and the screws are shorter as a result.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
The grip screws from Hogue DO NOT come with bushings.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
The grip screws from Hogue DO NOT come with bushings.
Then I got lucky. I purchased them from one of the members here. I bought grips, and he threw in the screws and bushings.

Flash

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I bought 3 sets of stainless hex head screws (92019) a month ago, 4 screws no bushings. I found some bushings on ebay.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I just go another PT92 home and had already purchased a set of Hogue grips for it. And again the factory screw fit like a glove. Guess I have just been lucky....so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts