Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an armadillo wreaking havoc on my nice zoysia backyard for two years. I tried the humane way of eliminating him by trapping with no luck. Then I used my Crosman co2 BB pistol to ping him a couple of times but he still didn't get the message. Hence, my purchase of the used Rossi RS22 a few months ago. I tagged him once about a month prior to the Rossi purchase which caused some acrobatics and hasty departure of the yard to a hideout under my workshop. Last night he made the mistake of triggering the motion sensitive yard lights so I snuck out the back door and leveled the gun at him. From about twenty feet, I squeezed the trigger and with a good sight picture from the newly tuned stock sights, hit him with a 36 grain hollow point. He flopped over onto his side so I advanced a couple of steps toward him. This time he rolled back upright and charged me! I kept the sight on him as best as I could and watched small eruptions of dirt straddle him as he closed on me. About ten feet away from me, he veered off toward the workshop. I kept the sights on him and a few more dirt clods jumped into the air behind him. That's when my ten shot mag locked the bolt back. I saw him slip under the shop as I went back in the house for a reload. On the way back into the yard I grabbed a flashlight and assumed a prone position at the shop where I saw him slide under it. Shining the light into the dark space, revealed the little gray &#@* backed up against one of the cinder block pylons holding up the shop about six feet from me. Just like a movie firing squad scene:) I took another good sight picture and unloaded ten rounds into his %#@*. This morning I dragged him out from under the shop and stuffed him into a hefty bag for disposal somewhere in the county. Please don't look at the late armadillo photo if you are queezy or get upset at gory pictures.:D

Attachments

·
9,768 Posts
Just for future reference - usually one hole in their armor causes severe infection and they are dead in 12-24 hrs. HOWEVER....I have had a few Dillo's run at me growling, and both times the little dinosaur got a mag dump. If you do it just right they hop about 3 feet in the air, land on their side and pass soon.

·
Registered
975 Posts
My wife and I lived in OKC for five years and I traveled the state by car each week. The last thing you wanted is to hit one of those with your car. Fix A Flat won't help after that.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My wife and I have killed 21 in our south Texas yard. The CCI SV segmented HP is very effective on them but so is my 3" 410 with #5 shot at 10 yards or so. The WW SV hp, in the silver box, made a gaping hole out one and had about 1.5" of lung hanging out and it still ran away. When they roll on their back with all four in the air they are done. My Lab/poodle mix loves to hunt them with me at night. He circles them barking and usually the stay put and draw down in the compact position. One SgHP downward through the front of the shell is all that is needed. A diller that met my 22/45 Lite
Dog Asphalt Grass Carnivore Groundcover

·
Premium Member
8,472 Posts
My wife and I have killed 21 in our south Texas yard. The CCI SV segmented HP is very effective on them but so is my 3" 410 with #5 shot at 10 yards or so. The WW SV hp, in the silver box, made a gaping hole out one and had about 1.5" of lung hanging out and it still ran away. When they roll on their back with all four in the air they are done. My Lab/poodle mix loves to hunt them with me at night. He circles them barking and usually the stay put and draw down in the compact position. One SgHP downward through the front of the shell is all that is needed. A diller that met my 22/45 Lite View attachment 491017
Come on. You planted that gun on him. There's no way he was carrying it when he came on your lawn. I know it's an ARMadillo, but they're unARMed, aren't they?

·
23,955 Posts
My wife and I lived in OKC for five years and I traveled the state by car each week. The last thing you wanted is to hit one of those with your car. Fix A Flat won't help after that.
In 2008 or 2009 I did an Iron Butt ride - a documented motorcycle ride of >1000 miles in less than 24 hours. I had business in Missouri and it didn't take any significant route massaging to make it 1062 miles. I spent a lot of time in Texas, in Oklahoma, then Missouri. I remember being surprised at how far into Missouri I saw them. I didn't know their range extended that far. No close Triumph/dillo calls, thankfully.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, they do stink. After shooting him under the shed, I left him overnight to make sure he was a goner. Next morning, I had a couple of vultures alight in the yard close to the shed. They're BIG birds! What got my attention to their presence was the terrific racket one was making trying to disassemble the shed to get at the 'dillo. It couldn't get under the shed so it had moved to the roof and was trying to go vertically down through the shed to the ground underneath the building. Big as they are, they're wary of humans and flew off into some nearby pines when I stepped onto the patio to observe them. That's when I thought that I'd stuff him in the garbage bag and stick him in the shop until I found a desolate spot to dump him. Road recon showed a lot of vehicular traffic on the roads close to the house so I decided to dump him in the woods on my property a couple of hundred feet downwind of the house. Next day almost all of him was gone except for a 6"x6" patch of his shell.

·
Registered
32,912 Posts
Critters have a way of ticking folks off. Squirrels are my nemesis, as I have a lot of big trees, and from making cuttings to build nests to eating green pecans that fall onto my pool deck and into the pool, they create a lot of trash. They also plant a lot of acorns and pecans that come up in my yard and garden.

I have recently declared war on them again. I got eight of them in a one week period. I live in town, and use a Benjamin CO2 .22 cal, but am thinking I could do better with my .410 in 2 1/2" #9 shot loads. If the neighbors wouldn't call the :Do Right" boys!

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
With a .22, sometimes one shot just doesn't get it done. Follow up shots on a moving target can get you in trouble with sweeping into a not so good down range back stop. Not to mention rattling off a bunch of rounds late at night. My go to, if the bulldog hasn't shook it to death is high power #6 out of any shotgun. It's a little more noise but one shot one kill on armorred or larger varmits.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Critters have a way of ticking folks off. Squirrels are my nemesis, as I have a lot of big trees, and from making cuttings to build nests to eating green pecans that fall onto my pool deck and into the pool, they create a lot of trash. They also plant a lot of acorns and pecans that come up in my yard and garden.

I have recently declared war on them again. I got eight of them in a one week period. I live in town, and use a Benjamin CO2 .22 cal, but am thinking I could do better with my .410 in 2 1/2" #9 shot loads. If the neighbors wouldn't call the :Do Right" boys!
I have a Benjamin Trail NP in 22 caliber. They have a built in sound suppressor and sound like shutting a door when you shoot. It is a gas piston 22 that shoots the 14gr HP at about 1000 and it has not taken more than one shot on a well hit furry tail rat. BTW the 410 #9 load does not work well on Sq's , personal experience. #6's are much better.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I live in a rural area with houses on 2 acre wooded lots. My neighbors routinely pop off half a dozen large caliber rounds at any time of day. The county has no restrictions on discharging firearms. I see deer around my home all the time-mostly doe or yearling- so wouldn't be surprised that somebody isn't doing their hunting the easy way off their deck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts