Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a pt940. When shooting saturday, roughly 200 rounds total, on a couple occasions, the slide stayed open when there was still rounds in the clip. But, there was no jam of the spent shell, I hit the lever and it closed and loaded, and continued to fire just fine. I have three clips, and probably what I should have done, was pull that clip and set it aside to see if it happened with the other two. Anyone else ever have this happen? These were all factory winchester target rounds that I get in boxes of 100 at walmart.

·
32,654 Posts
This one is going to the semi-auto section. Someone there should be able to help. Never have ever heard of this before, but it could be the magazine or the slide stop. Slides usually do not lock back without the magazine being totallly empty or is there more to this that needs clarifying before we can comment? Could also be the bullet nose configuration, but it doesn't sound like you were shooting flat nosed or truncated bullets. I'll let our in-house gunsmith types field this one.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I was trying to think this one through and couldn't come up with anything. I dunno ...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your problem could be that you are using clips instead of magazines! ;)

·
Administrator
18,111 Posts
Was this PT940 purchased new or used?

Check to see if the rounds in the magazine are bumping the slide stop magazine extension. Could be that the rounds in the magazine are sliding forward under recoil and activating the slide stop when they pop up. Could also be that you are accidently activating the Slide Stop while shooting. Also, there could be a Spring related to the Slide Stop, needing replacement. You can try different ammunition, have someone else shoot it and see if it happens, consult a local pistolsmith familiar with the design, or send it back to Taurus for Repair.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Are you using factory Taurus mags, or do you have an aftermarket one that is causing problems? Certain brands of aftermarket mags do strange things sometimes. Test to see if it is the same one causing the problem, and if it is factory or aftermarket.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the same problem with the PT945... my thumb was hitting the slide release while firing, causing the slide to lock open... It was the one big reason we just couldn't get along.

·
32,654 Posts
There are two methods of holding any semi-auto. High thumbs hold or folding the thumbs down when gripping and shooting. High thumbs hold has the propensity to have the thumb to hit the slide release inadvertently or to have the slide hit the hand or thumb on the trip back during recoil. Either will cause the above problem. Checking out how you grip the gun and what happens when you do needs top be looked at. Shooting with the thumbs tucked down or changing the grip slightly may change this. Could be the mag release is being hit during firing by a part of the hand. Check for this also. Was the gun cleaned and lubed prior to shooting? As stated above, it could be the magazines. Have they been taken apart and cleaned or do the magazine springs need replacing. Did someone clean the mags and didn't quite get things back the way they were supposed to be? Other reasons have already been stated as for the possoble malfunction by others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info guys, I'll pay attention to my thumb position next time on the range.
I bought it new in 99 or 2000, I believe, can't remember
For you who are sticklers for technicality, I'm using only Taurus brand MAGAZINES ;D

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would definately recommend trying out a new magazine and seeing what happens. Be paricular where your fingers are, and make sure you aren't hitting the slide release. Also, you might do a basic strip/cleaning and see if there is any undue wear at all on the inside of the slide. It could indicate that something is out of kilter.

Todd

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have had this happen with cheap aftermarket mags. The follower was just enough off that it would hit the slide lock with one round left.

·
Registered
301 Posts
propellerhead said:
+1 on the thumb on the slide lock. You'll see a thread like this on just about every semi-auto forum.
Interesting. When I ride the slide release, it keeps the slide from locking open.

·
Registered
19 Posts
FWIW my PT145 shipped with two bad mags. One had a dented catch hole, and the other exhibited the same behavior as yours - locking the slide to the rear with one round remaining. I had a gunsmith test fire it, and it did it for him several times in a row. It could be the mag follower, or perhaps the feed lips are slightly wider than they should be, allowing the last round to sit higher than it should - thereby hitting the slide stop.

For me, it appeared to be the magazine - but since both supplied mags were bad - I sent it back just to be sure. If you have access to a different magazine - I would start there. Other than that, watch your thumbs. ;D

Good luck.

·
32,654 Posts
Italian biker. You still with us? ;D It's been a while since Feb 28. I worry when a guy who starts the post goes more than a week and is not heard from. ::) :eek: ;D Won't send out the dogs or post picutres on milk cartons just yet. People do get busy or distracted for quite awhile. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't have a Taurus semi-auto - I like the revo's too much! At any rate some autos have a plunger that presses on the slide stop - putting a detent at that point will help to hold the slide stop down (mine was engaging due to recoil) the detent fixed it fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts