Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greettings -

I have a stainless PT1911 and have found that the very sharpe edges at the front of the slide scrape a good bit into the leather of a new holster I just bought. I'm moderately skilled with my dremmel. Is buffing down the edges just a bit to take the bite out of them something that I can do, or is that best left to a smith? And if this is a DYI job, what wheel and compound is best? I'm not talking about removing much metal at all, just enough to take the knive-edge off.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I would be very leery of doing this. If your ever have a problem with your slide Taurus may not waranty it.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
It sounds like your just talking about a light external deburring job, if so I would avoid the dremel, and just use a small piece of a scotchbright pad or a very fine jewlers file very lightlly untill that edge is dulled a little bit. Even with the soft bits, the dremel will take off metal in a hurry, and it's a challenge to put it back on :) .

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, yeah, absolutely. If I did it at all... I'd only use one of their cotton buffing wheels and a very light buffing compound. I only want to dull the sharp edge but not appreciably remove much metal. Maybe I'll just put the slide in a vice and take an old leather belt and slide it back and forth a bunch and see if that dulls it enough. Thanks!

Rackir said:
It sounds like your just talking about a light external deburring job, if so I would avoid the dremel, and just use a small piece of a scotchbright pad or a very fine jewlers file very lightlly untill that edge is dulled a little bit. Even with the soft bits, the dremel will take off metal in a hurry, and it's a challenge to put it back on :) .

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The only time I ever cut myself cleaning a gun was with my PT1911...I didn't notice when it hapened or where the sharp edge was.

I don't think it's a bad idea if you're careful and know what you're doing.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'd use a soft cotton wheel and some aluminum polish since it won't take anything but the edge off this way.
Metal polish is too harsh.
Brasso would be good too.
If the pistol is blue, Call Taurus and tell them the problem as you will remove the finish where you debur it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's stainless. Brasso - Great idea. I've still got a 20 year old can of that laying around from my army days.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Cool. Use a cotton wheel or cotton Tee, you have brasso, so you know what to do.
WHen you are done, wipe the firearm down with Like hoppes or another firearms cleaning product.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts