Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Judge Public Defender Poly and the ribs on the inside curved surface of the trigger cause my finger to bleed.

I have covered the poly finish around the trigger with masking tape to protect the finish. Then with a piece of emery cloth on the end of a wood pencil eraser, worked on the trigger ribs trying to smooth them down some.

Overall, it helped, but bottom of my finger gets real tender while shooting.

Has anyone come with any other solutions to smooth out the surface of the trigger?

I thought about mixing up some clear epoxy and letting it fill in the ribs.

Own2

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine has caused a blister but no blood yet. Probably because I have not shot enough in any one session.

·
Registered
24,853 Posts
Just shoot it enough to callous your finger. Problem solved. You could always sell it to me for 25 bucks and again, problem solved.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I haven't had that problem with the trigger, but the first time I shot mine, a burr on the inside of the frame cut the whiz out of my finger. I used an emory board to smooth it down, and it hasn't cut me since.

Funny, I had the same issue with a Kel-Tec PF-9 I owned... a little sanding was necessary to smooth out the rough patches on it, too.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I am all about modifying and fixing your tools to better serve you. A little sanding or clear epoxy, then you can enjoy shooting your Judge.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I'm surprised no one has put a rubber sleeve on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Now that is a really good idea. I never noticed the ribs on a trigger before, but the 410 likes to let you know when it fires.

Own2

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The trigger may be smoothed and polished, or the grooves filled with any of a number of substances. Rough surfaces in the frame may also be smoothed.

I have to ask, though, why did you buy a gun that had such obvious problems? That was addressed to the burr buyer.

Filling the grooves with epoxy, smoothing them, letting it set up, and then sanding it down should work quite well, and be a permanent fix.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have to ask, though, why did you buy a gun that had such obvious problems? That was addressed to the burr buyer.
The Burr was not really noticeable due to its location. It was inside the trigger guard where the trigger comes out of the frame. I might never have noticed it shooting .45 colt loads as my finger tends not to come into contact with that part of the frame, but the first time under the recoil of a .410 with the short grips that it came with, it got my attention. I do not see it as a big deal, like I said, other polymer guns I have owned have had some minor flashing left on them... a minute or two with an Emory board will take care of that.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
You must be shooting some really light weight .45LC loads (cowboy loads?) if that .410 kicks more.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You must be shooting some really light weight .45LC loads (cowboy loads?) if that .410 kicks more.
I have been shooting the Winchester .45 colt SD loads that come in the combo pack with the pdx1 shotshells. Compared to the federal 000 Buck loads, the .45 colt hollowpoints are tame.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Try the Speer 250 grain Gold Dots and I think you will change your tune. I shoot the Federal PD Handgun .410 #000 Buck Shot rounds and love them but I've never thought of them as harsh recoiling, loud and concussive certainly, but not heavy recoiling. Then again, I don't have a PD but the SS Judge with 2.5" chambers and a 4" barrel. The only ammo I would call snappy are the Speers.

Reactions: gtv

·
Registered
40 Posts
Try the Speer 250 grain Gold Dots and I think you will change your tune. I shoot the Federal PD Handgun .410 #000 Buck Shot rounds and love them but I've never thought of them as harsh recoiling, loud and concussive certainly, but not heavy recoiling. Then again, I don't have a PD but the SS Judge with 2.5" chambers and a 4" barrel. The only ammo I would call snappy are the Speers.
I wish I could find some Gold Dots to try! The Feds are by far my favorite rounds, but were a handful in the Poly PD until I changed to the longer Hogue grip. Amazing what a difference that made.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts