Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We shoot off the back porch at steel targets I have attached to trees, one about 40 yards and the other 100+. After watching me my wife wanted to give it a try. Now she does fine with my Remington speed master .22 but has never shot a lever action. So after a little instruction and some dry fire practice I loaded it up with factory round nose. Didn't work out so well, she would point the gun strait up to work the action and the shells would jam. I fooled around with it a little and more often than not if the gun wasn't at some angle other than strait up the shell would fall back and cause the jam. This is my first lever gun so I have no idea if this is normal or not. :confused:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Round nose? That may be your problem. My wife uses the Ranch Hand in .38/.357. We use only flat nose in the lever action. When I get the chance to take my 92 to the range it'll be loaded with flat nose only. I've been told that round nose could pose a problem in lever guns with a tube magazine. Try flat nose rounds.

I've read that round/pointed nose rounds in a lever action, tube mag could pose a problem in that the rear bullet's nose is touching the primer of the bulet in front of it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Round nose? That may be your problem. My wife uses the Ranch Hand in .38/.357. We use only flat nose in the lever action. When I get the chance to take my 92 to the range it'll be loaded with flat nose only. I've been told that round nose could pose a problem in lever guns with a tube magazine. Try flat nose rounds.
Fascinating! I have a new 92 .357/.38 spl and so far the only rounds it will cycle are the .38 round nose. Nothing flat nose, .38 or .357 will cycle. I'm in the process of cleaning gunk and burrs out of the "guts" and not finished yet. I'm hoping that will take care of the problem.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
They all seem to have their little quirks. Although I primarily feed mine flat nose bullets it will feed round nose.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Mine was a little picky with types and shapes of bullets also, but this was in loading the magazine. I cut 4 inches off the magazine spring and it now will take what I give it.

·
Super Moderator
35,538 Posts
Mine will cycle everything I've tried in it, JHP and Keith style SWC. I've never tried WCs, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts