Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a 5 shot .38 with a two inch barrel. I already have larger S&W revolvers so I am not brainwashed to think they are the only kind of revolver to buy. As a matter of fact I can't stand the new S&W locks that deface the sideplate.

Anyway, I am looking at either a Taurus Model 85 stainless or a Rossi Model 352 stainless. Right now the Rossi is in the lead because I really like hammer mounted firing pins, like my older S&Ws, instead of the Taurus/S&W internal firing pin.

I simply do not like the Rossi three finger grip. I do love the Taurus two finger boot grip. Will an aftermarket Taurus grip fit a Rossi now that they are connected to Taurus. Specifically will a Rossi 352 fit in the Taurus mahogony wood boot grips for a Model 85?

·
Super Moderator
35,127 Posts
No. The 85 is a round butt, for one thing, or at least mine is.

I've had a Rossi hammer mounted firing pin snap off before and know of a guy who's S&W firing pin snapped. I have an older M10 that has never given me such problems, though. I don't know, I guess it's preference, but I prefer the transfer bar, frame mounted firing pin that Ruger invented and Taurus now uses. I think it's more rugged. When Ruger came out with it on the Security Six, they'd set up a Security six at their boot at the shot show with a machine that constantly dry fired the gun for the entire show that year. The mechanism did not break and, at the time, that was a selling point for Ruger. They still have the transfer bar system and the most rugged revolvers on the planet. ;D

That said, I still have a little Rossi 68 that I bought new in 1981. It's not had a whole lot of firing. My step dad kept it in his bedroom for years until he passed on and I inherited it. I think I've put more rounds through it this year than he did since I gave it to him, but it's a nice little gun. The only grip option other than stock profiles (I have a set of Ajax Pearlite on mine to pimp it out;D) is the Pachmayr Compac. You might check out the Compacs and see if you like 'em. I don't know of anyone makes a boot grip anymore like the Taurus one. Uncle Mike's used to, but I heard they got sued by Craig Spiegel (the inventor and patent holder), not sure that's true or any details, but I can't find Uncle Mike's grips anymore, checked the other day in fact. I had a Pachmayr Compac on my Rossi M88 I sold a while back and still have one on my Rossi M511 Sportsman .22. I like the grip, but it's not as small and pocketable as the boot grip on my M85UL, for sure. It does accommodate my pinky, though, and is quite compact for IWB carry.

·
32,564 Posts
Speigel grips are called Boot grips by Uncle Mike's of Oregon and they still have them. Some form of agreement must have been reached because these are selling like hot cakes. ;D

·
Super Moderator
35,127 Posts
Cool, then that's whacha need to find. Not sure what guns they're offered for, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts