Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rossi m68 stamped with the Interarms name.

Are discussions on these older Rossi guns posted here, or in the "other guns" section?

I'm trying to find out the year mine was made. s/n AA265xx 2" blue .38spl 5-shot revolver

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
I can't tell you what year, but might be able to narrow it down. I have an old M68 I bought for my step dad that I inherited. It's got a blade rear sight with a screw on either side and appears to be adjustable for windage, though I haven't had to do that. I bought that gun about 1981.

In around 1989-1990 I bought a M88 (stainless version of the 68). By that time, the rear sight was machined into the frame.

So, if you have a blade rear sight with a screw either side of it, early 80s. By 1990 they were a fixed machined rear sight.

That's the best I can do. That little 3" M68 is really accurate, nice little gun for IWB. I carry it some, but it's mostly valuable to me for sentimental reasons. It's a well timed, tight little gun with a crisp SA trigger and a so-so DA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Mine is not the adjustable rear sight, so that would make it a slightly later gun. I am quite happy with it also.

·
32,528 Posts
Rossi revolvers prior or after Taurus procured them, are neat little revolvers. Rossi 68 and 88 models are in recommended as back up guns for newly minted police officers on a budget in a old Combat Handgunnery soft covered book from the late 1970s and early 1980s. They were not considered +P rated by the sources. There are standard pressure rounds that are decent stoppers of their own.

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
Rossi revolvers prior or after Taurus procured them, are neat little revolvers. Rossi 68 and 88 models are in recommended as back up guns for newly minted police officers on a budget in a old Combat Handgunnery soft covered book from the late 1970s and early 1980s. They were not considered +P rated by the sources. There are standard preesure rounds that are decent stoppers of their own.
Heck, I fed mild +P stuff (5.0 grains Unique/158 grains SWC) in my old M88 for years and it never hurt that gun. It's still shooting, sold to a friend. Even hot stuff won't bother the gun if you don't feed it a constant diet. I don't carry the 68 much, but when I do, I carry hot +P. I mainly shoot light wadcutters in it at the range, though. It's an all steel gun and should be at least as strong as my Taurus 85UL alloy frame gun that is +P rated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is my understanding that the Rossi model 68 is not rated for +P ammo. I have a manual I bought on eBay which clearly states this. Neither is the S&W model 36 rated for +P.

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
No, they are not rated for +P, but a mild diet never killed MY Rossis. They're still going strong. I just never got carried away with shooting a LOT of +P in 'em. It will greatly accelerate wear. Just a few to make sure the gun shoot well, then carry with +P ain't gonna hurt it. It won't kaboom on +P.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Texan, you are right. I just wanted to say what I did to get it out there. But I agree with you -- what you just said.

·
Registered
20 Posts
These are pics of my Rossi M68 3" .38spl:

here in it's holster;

Mine says "Interarms" also. It has been perfect for the 10 or so years I've owned it.

I still can't believe I bought it for $79.95 - Best value gun I ever owned.

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
My M68 with 3" tube...

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
My .22 caliber Rossi M511 Sportsman kit gun. Six shot adjustable sight 4" J frame size gun. It's very accurate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts