Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined this forum because I purchased a new Rossi RS22 magnum. There is absolutely nothing other than the catalog description available on the web. I bought it anyway because the Long rifle version is such a good buy and a good little shooter. The few other Semi auto 22wmr rifles out there are all over twice the price of the Rossi. The Savage A22 is not quite twice and was the one I was going to buy until I saw the Rossi. Turns out the Rossi and the Savage share a lot of design features. I do like the rotary magazine on the Savage but you can't have it all. Now I have had my Rossi for a couple of weeks and have been to the range twice. It did have some initial issues but I actually like this rifle and am working to make it a perfect little gun for the money. Now I am long winded so here is what I am doing and this is all "work in process". I have written (am writing) a long winded review/description/tips manuscript. I have also copied the Rossi manual and put it in PDF form. Unless I am told I cannot share this manual I will provide a link to my Google drive where the manual and my Wordpad RTF file (can probably provide Open Document or XML format if requested). I am also trying to do some pictures and maybe some videos (slow motion video of the bolt stripping rounds and feeding into barrel). There are so many good reviewers making videos I am hoping some will get to this gun when it becomes more available. Right now I just hope that some rank amateur does not get a rifle and badmouth it because of some problems which are easily remedied.
One more quick comment. I carry a Kel-Tec 3AT for my primary carry. When they came out they were bad mouthed for not being reliable. Well the "Fluff and Buff" that is recommended on their forum has made mine as reliable as my Ruger LC9 or my Walther/Smith P99. That is basically what this Rossi needs, a little fine tuning and buffing that could be done at the factory. Price might go up so I can do it myself.

·
22,507 Posts
Wow, what's the distance on those targets? Looks like you've got a good rifle there!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
50 yard. Cheap Simmons 22 Magnum scope, Simmons rings. This is the most serious I got. Circles are 3/8" between lines. Shooting off Caldwell corncob filled shooting bags. Most shots were trying different bullet weights and loads. Different brands trying to find out which ones feed best and group best. Yes, I am starting to really like this gun.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I haven't seen any yet in .22WMR. Good looking rifle, congrats!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ordered one over a week ago and a Simmons TargetPro 3x9x40 scope from BHPhotoVideo. The scope is special order. I am looking forward to popping off.

·
8,658 Posts
Finally after waiting a year for Rossi to send another batch out, ordered one from KYGUNCO. It arrived damaged (broken charging handle) arghhhhh. they should have either packed the charging handle in a separate part of the box, or used a cardboard tube around it. Mine had a hole in the box and bag where the charging handle poked through. Then leave it to UPS to find a way to take advantage of that bad packing. Will call them later today. :(

·
Registered
304 Posts
Finally after waiting a year for Rossi to send another batch out, ordered one from KYGUNCO. It arrived damaged (broken charging handle) arghhhhh.
Wow. That's disappointing. I've been looking at these for a while. I bought the 22lr version and was pleasantly surprised. I finally ordered one in 22 mag from KYGUNCO on Monday. I wanted a CZ 512 but couldn't justify paying that much for a plinker. I couldn't find many reviews on the RS22m so I've been following this thread for new info. There were only 4 reviews on Buds and all were 5 star. The most recent review went into some detail so I pulled the trigger (pun intended).

·
Registered
384 Posts
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you did a lot of work both manually and digitally. Nice narrative, nice pix, nice heater and nice shooting.

·
8,658 Posts
Wow. That's disappointing. I've been looking at these for a while. I bought the 22lr version and was pleasantly surprised. I finally ordered one in 22 mag from KYGUNCO on Monday. I wanted a CZ 512 but couldn't justify paying that much for a plinker. I couldn't find many reviews on the RS22m so I've been following this thread for new info. There were only 4 reviews on Buds and all were 5 star. The most recent review went into some detail so I pulled the trigger (pun intended).
Well I am on week 3 of trying to get KYGUNCO to make good on my returned rifle. I know Covid is making things difficult, so I guess I will be patient. But I hate it when CSR's lie about providing updates. I have another new purchase RIA baby rock back to RIA for warranty work, and zip from them either. Arghh, guess I need to buy another new gun and see if my odds improve.

·
Super Moderator
35,139 Posts
I used to dismiss .22 mag rifles as sort of useless for hunting. Then, this guy came to my shop wanting a motorcycle I had for sale. He had a Remington 597 magnum in a soft case with a Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 in Weaver rings. I needed to get rid of this little 50cc bike, so I made the trade. Well, the accuracy of the little rifle was astounding and won me over. It routinely shoots 1.5 MOA at 100 yards with about anything CCI. Only stuff it doesn't like is Winchester which seems to be loaded to .22LR specs. Some months later, he came by wanting to buy the rifle back, but I wouldn't sell it back.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Super Moderator
35,139 Posts
BTW, several years back I did take a turkey with that Remington rifle, shot in the breast at 70 yards, very little meat damage. :D

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well I am on week 3 of trying to get KYGUNCO to make good on my returned rifle. I know Covid is making things difficult, so I guess I will be patient. But I hate it when CSR's lie about providing updates. I have another new purchase RIA baby rock back to RIA for warranty work, and zip from them either. Arghh, guess I need to buy another new gun and see if my odds improve.
I waited over a month for my LCP Custom slide to be returned after the front sight fell out. I ordered grips and a bobbed hammer from Charter Arms that also took about a month to get to me. The problem was with the USPS not with either manufacturer. By the way, does anybody have a lead on spare magazines for the Rossi RS22W2111? I can't find spares anywhere.

·
8,658 Posts
I waited over a month for my LCP Custom slide to be returned after the front sight fell out. I ordered grips and a bobbed hammer from Charter Arms that also took about a month to get to me. The problem was with the USPS not with either manufacturer. By the way, does anybody have a lead on spare magazines for the Rossi RS22W2111? I can't find spares anywhere.
I have talked to Rossi and got a no answer, We are out..ok when will some come back in?..answer Can't say. Then have checked over 40 retailers, zilch... SO hoping maybe by Christmas Rossi/Taurus will stop just making one mag rifles and focus a bit on spare magazines. But honestly, with the regular complaints about their CS , I may end up selling the new 22 mag rifle and spend a bit more to find a solution with another manufacturer who cares a bit more about their customer base.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts