Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned in another thread, I recently picked up an R98 Plinker at a gun show. I got a chance to go back to the range today.......This time, I brought the correct sized screw driver, so I could adjust the rear sight as needed. During the first range trip, I noted that the gun was shooting quite low, but was dead center.

Long story short, I got her dialed in @ 12 yards while using a rudimentary bench, and my range bag as a substitute for a formal "rest". Whoever had the gun before me, must have arbitrarily adjusted the elevation screw without understanding how it worked. Perhaps they became frustrated and traded the gun in? Who knows. Regardless, I am really happy with this revolver. The sights are adequate, the DA trigger is a little heavy, but not too bad (no where near as heavy as a Taurus Model 94). The SA trigger is light and crisp, the grips are comfortable, and this thing just looks cool.

Is it a S&W K22, or model 17? Ahh no. Is it equivalent to a 617 or model 63? The 617, no, but when talking about the (older) model 63, we may be getting a little closer, at least in terms of accuracy and feel (but not trigger). Is it a Ruger SP101-22? Hmmmm. Well, I HAD an SP101, and I would say based on my limited experience with the Rossi, that it is close. I would give the edge in accuracy and trigger feel to the Plinker. We'll have to see about durability, though.

At the end of the day, I feel this was a very good purchase. See below for the range target from today. Note that conditions were excellent, and the target was set at 12 yards away. As mentioned, I used a rickety range bench and my range bag as a rest. I reused this target, and the accuracy test rounds (a cylinder full of eight), all fell within the orange target sticky. The overall group size was just under 2", with 3 rounds falling in the bullseye.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Very nice indeed!

Reactions: cnj

·
Registered
23 Posts
You're right. They are cool looking. Very nice DA trigger on the ones I have. I have both the Rugers, a Smith, couple of H&Rs and two Taurus revolvers. The only one that I have that beats the trigger on the R98 is a Taurus Model 96.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts