Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was finally able to pick up my Rossi R98 this evening.

I consider myself a moderately experienced shooter (almost 20 years) but this is my first revolver. Alternative consideration included a S&W 617 as well as a Ruger SP101 in .22, but after doing much research, came across the Rossi R98.

There isn't much literature on it, and the market for a .22 DA revolver under $400 is very small, so I commend Rossi for taking this on.

Initial impressions are that it is a fine .22 revolver for the price. The finish is better than I expected for the price, as well as the overall quality of the revolver. Cylinder lockup does not have that "welded to the frame" feel, but it is very, very close.

Releasing the cylinder was a bit tough at first, I didn't have to pry it open, but it didn't "pop", so I had to push it sightly. This may be due to the cylinder gap? I was a bit concerned about this after doing some research (but was actually hearing the specs may be too large, .007), but am unable to work a .002 through there. Is that because this is a .22, or is that abnormally tight? It does appear the front of the cylinder may be making slight contact with the barrel when closing? Any input/suggestions/knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

DA pull is better than the M94s I have handled at gun counters, but not significantly. The SA is definitely respectable.

Once I got it home I began removing the oil it was shipped in, went through a few patches, threw some CLP for a light, but thorough oiling. The cylinder seated and released a bit smoother, but it is still on my mind as a potential issue.

The hi-viz sight it comes with will be very nice in the daytime, and I am considering grabbing the Hogue 73000 grip, which is designed for the Tracker but is apparently compatible with the R98?

Overall, I feel like it was money well spent, and am very anxious to take it out tomorrow and put a few hundred rounds through her.

Review to follow

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
VERY nice. Thanks for the review. Looking forward to a range review.

Some hi-performance shooters like a .002 cyl gap, but I think it's a little tight. None of my old Smiths have anything that close. In fact, a couple of them are beyond the max. spec of .012 (in places), but it doesn't seem to effect them - they shoot just fine. I would imagine that working the action would make things fit a little looser over time, but you might want to verify that with a real expert. :) I would NOT try to file the forcing cone end of the barrel on your own to increase clearance. As I said, some like .002.

Does anyone know- is this basically a "K frame" sized revolver? I'm interested in one if it is.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Personally I feel that if you can't get a .002" feeler gauge through the B/C gap it is too tight and won't take much crud to cause it to start dragging. JMHO!

One thing I did notice though in your picture is the finger on the trigger in the kitchen? A person should never place their finger in the trigger guard until the are ready to fire. I am not beating on you, but just reminding you of basic safety procedures.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Believe it is, Rossi.

Forecast tomorrow is 19 degrees with wind chill at 5, windy-- would still like to make it out.

I suppose we'll see if the .002 is a blessing or a curse, worst case scenario I can take it to a local smith and have him tweak it or see if Rossi will make the change, how is their customer service?

I echo your concerns Beaver, hope we're both wrong! Yes, in the kitchen-- lighting was better. Appreciate your input but if people never put their fingers in trigger guards until they were ready to fire, they'd never be able to break down their semis, dry-fire practice, release a cocked hammer, test trigger pull at a counter, etc.

Ammo was locked away, of course verified clear before cleaning the pistol and taking the photo. If it were a video review and not simply a photo, that would have been observed. First Rossi, but isn't my first rodeo, thanks for the concern.

I'm curious what the owner of the 6" R98 has to say about his, there is so little information on these..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Temperature was 14, windchill was near zero.

Put just over 100 rounds through it, not one hiccup. Functioned great-- SA/DA, rapid fire, didn't matter.

Can't attest to accuracy. It was too cold to be calling downrange, setting up, range hot, shooting, downrange, keeping track... so I simply shot at a 25 yard target that was already setup.

I have a cellphone video with some shooting, and will do a tabletop and combine them soon

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Alright friends, enjoy the video.

If anyone can give me insight into the alloy Rossi uses for their frames/cylinders, that would be really great

After spending hours researching this gun, and finding nothing beyond speculation and factory specifications, I decided to do my first review of any firearm. This is for all the Rossi fans who feel Rossi doesn't get the love it deserves, I hear ya

Any thoughts, input, or questions, please let me know

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Great Report, I have been thinking of getting one, and I would like to hear more reports as you go forward about the function and accuracy, as well as how it looks with different grips. :thumb:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have been unable to get out and shoot since my initial range trip back at the beginning of the year, just busy with work, classes, and coaching.

Anyway, I took the R98 out tonight to give it a light coating of oil. When tinkering, I noticed that when closed, the cylinder will rotate one chamber clockwise, on a specific chamber, but not on the other 7.

Being as this is my first revolver, I'm not too sure, but since this is not a universal thing, I'm wondering if this is worthy of sending into Rossi?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hmm... that aint right! So to clarify... you close the cylinder and give it a slight turn to lock it into the nearest cylinder notch, then thumb back the hammer and lower it eight times, you hit a cylinder where it doesn't lock in place? Might need a video!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Close the cylinder, slight turn to lock into place.

If "locked" on this one, specific cylinder, I am able to rotate it clockwise.

This is not while gun is in full lock-up.

Can get a video up tonight to clarify

·
Registered
234 Posts
For starters, use a flashlight to look down the barrel while you slowly cycle through single action and see if the cylinder holes line up with the barrel. (Unloaded of course) If this looks good then...

It sounds like you have one cylinder notch that is not cut correctly or shallow or maybe if you are real lucky there is some crud in the notch. Might be something you could fix with some careful filing.

How much effort does it take to spin the cylinder in this one notch?

One more thing I just thought of... is the cylinder stop coming all the way up in the frame and is there spring tension on it? Maybe the spring is weak or bad combined with a slightly shallow notch causing the problem. It might be a non-issue with a new spring.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is not a significant amount of effort to spin it one notch: slight pressure, two finger tips.

May be the cylinder stop, but likely not since it is the same cylinder everytime, leads me to believe your suggestion of a shallow notch may be the culprit...

*sigh*

...hopefully just junk, but doubt it.

Might take it apart and give it a little cleaning after this video gets some views:
(from a MacBook Pro, everything is horizontally flipped)

*suspect cylinder @ 0:35
*full lock-up @ 1:20

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hmm... watched the video... I am still leaning to a combo of things... slightly shallow cut or burr in the notch (or crud in notch) with a weak stop spring. I will check mine tonight and see if it is inclined to the same issue.

Can you visually see any difference in the notch that is giving the problem when compared to the others?

Can you use a flashlight and see what the stop is doing when it is supposed to be in that notch?

Also, take it out and do some rapid as well as some slow firing... see if the issue is even an issue...

Patient: "Doc it hurts when I do this.."
Doctor: "Well don't do that!"

I really do like my R98 and even my Taurus .357 revolver, however I will say if you are judging revolvers in general by these brands you are not getting a true picture. If you ever get the chance, handle an older Smith and Wesson revolver or a Ruger revolver it is a world of difference!

(Not bashing Taurus or Rossi, just making the point that the revolvers that cost over twice as much are pretty darn nice. And a real Ruger like a SP101 or GP100 not that LCR trash, and the OLDER S&W revolvers not the new junk with the lock.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for checking, Fred. You've certainly been a great resource for me as I enter the revolver world-- thanks for that

I will take it apart and clean it this weekend, see if it continues. I do like your "then don't do that" philosophy, but I do think there is something amiss here...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah... it would drive me crazy and I would have to resolve it even if it didn't effect the function of the gun. Check the things I suggested in my earlier post, it has to be something with that one notch and it seems like you could resolve it yourself. Worse case send her back! My as well have it right!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well.. took it apart tonight. Cleaned the "old" oil off from my last disassembly, little gunk came off various parts, nothing crazy.

Springs seemed alright.

After reassembly, I noted the cylinder will rotate clockwise with a very slight force while in full lock up. Needless to say, I think this gun will be going back to Taurus/Rossi. I just cannot hand this to a young shooter, or my lady, or shoot it myself, knowing the cylinder is capable of rotating clockwise, when closed, when the only way it should rotate is counterclockwise.

I think the notch may be shallow, and needless to say-- this will probably be my last Rossi, if I keep it. This is a shame because I really wanted to like this gun, may end up going with the SP101 in .22 after all. How Rossi handles this situation and how it is returned will dictate that.

Has anyone ever sent a handgun back to Taurus/Rossi? Curious how that process is initiated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just an update for the Rossi fans.

I spoke to customer service, they were extremely helpful, and I will be shipping the firearm back tomorrow.

I was able to speak to two individuals, one being the supervisor. The woman I spoke to initially was very helpful and understanding, and I requested to speak to her supervisor just to say "thank you" for providing excellent customer service.

I may have been a bit hasty in my last post-- if this is an indication of the assistance I will receive should there be any problems, A+ for Rossi thus far :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just an update for the Rossi fans.

I spoke to customer service, they were extremely helpful, and I will be shipping the firearm back tomorrow.

I was able to speak to two individuals, one being the supervisor. The woman I spoke to initially was very helpful and understanding, and I requested to speak to her supervisor just to say "thank you" for providing excellent customer service.

I may have been a bit hasty in my last post-- if this is an indication of the assistance I will receive should there be any problems, A+ for Rossi thus far
:)
Boogs, since this last post... how happy are you with the Rossi R98? Did your warranty repair go well? I have heard that Rossi/Taurus' customer service is not so good. How many rounds would you say you have shot through it? Are you pleased with the accuracy? Please provide us with an update. I am looking seriously into purchasing as well in the 6" barrel model for improving my handgun skills as well as a cheaper alternative to plinking. Let me know if you have had a good experience with the firearm. Seems to be very nice for the prices that I have seem. Other 22LR(s) in used condition are as much as you can find the price of the Rossi R98. Curious to know the firearm will hold up after years of use.

If anyone else can offer their 2-cents, please provide.

·
Super Moderator
40,725 Posts
Boogs, since this last post... how happy are you with the Rossi R98? Did your warranty repair go well? I have heard that Rossi/Taurus' customer service is not so good. How many rounds would you say you have shot through it? Are you pleased with the accuracy? Please provide us with an update. I am looking seriously into purchasing as well in the 6" barrel model for improving my handgun skills as well as a cheaper alternative to plinking. Let me know if you have had a good experience with the firearm. Seems to be very nice for the prices that I have seem. Other 22LR(s) in used condition are as much as you can find the price of the Rossi R98. Curious to know the firearm will hold up after years of use.

If anyone else can offer their 2-cents, please provide.
OP has not been online since August 2015. Send him a PM and if he has email notification on he may see it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts