Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have a new Rossi R46102 and I would like your help. Canyou dry fire a Rossi 356 or do you need snap caps. If you need snap caps, what are the best kind. I like to do aot of practice at home and I want to teach my wife how to handle and fire the Rossi. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sorry to re post this I could not fine my previous post on this topic. If I knew how I would delete this post.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
I'm not an expert on that particular question your asking but i have a 46103 .357 and personally i do not like dry firing it . Scared ill mess up the firing pin and i don't need that .

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Snap caps for sure. I like my Martini's Dry, not my practice trigger pulls.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
NEVER dry fire it -- particularly Rossi's or S&W's, with the firing pin on the hammer. Or any of the older Colt SA's with the firing pin on the hammer. It's just a question of time until you break one.

Get snap caps. ( less than $10 for a set of 6 on amazon or ebay) If you get the spring-loaded ones, they'll last a long time. Or, if you're reloader, size up some 38 spl cases, fill the primer pocket with a drop of silicone caulk, and make sure it's flush with the case. (I'm a cheap son-of-a-gun)

Two quick notes: if you don't have reloading gear, cleaned fired cases will work, just fit a tad snugger. but you'll need to pry out the primers.

finally, NEVER dry fire a .22 caliber. On a center-fire cartridge, "hypothetically" a dry-fired firing pin hits empty space. But on a .22, the firing MUST contact the cylinder, which acts like an anvil when you're firing a round. You may not break the pin right away, but even if it doesn't break, you'll slowly damage it.

I know, I know, I know. there are zillions of shooters who dry fire all they want and never have a problem. ( And on a Glock, you must dry fire it once before taking it apaprt.) But I wouldn't take a chance. Sorry to lecture so long, it's just one of my hot buttons, having learned the hard way by shelling out big bucks replacing a firing pin on a used gun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts