Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New gun owner so bear with me.

Do guns have wear and tear like this?(Gun wear and tear - Imgur)
Gun: Rossi 3" 357 R461 (bought it on black Friday sales at Academy)
Ammo used: PPU 38 special LRN 158 gr, Remington UMC 38 special 130 gr, Remington UMC 38 special LRN 158 gr, Remington Express 38 special SJHP 125 gr
I have fired around 200 rounds on this gun and after the range trip from yesterday. While cleaning the gun, I noticed the barrel. I either never notice it before or it have been like this for awhile. I also noticed that the trigger sort of stuck twice while firing yesterday. The trigger is stucked like I'm doing single action but the hammer wasn't pull back. I put the gun down and was able to eject the ammo out but one time I couldn't so I aim down range and pull the trigger. It didn't go bang but the trigger went back to normal. I think it might have to do with my trigger pull.
Is it normal to have wear and tear on gun? Should I send it back for repair?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
32,137 Posts
What did you notice about the barrel exactly? Also, check to make sure your ejector rod is not backing out or unscrewing, as this can cause the cylinder to bind, cartridges with the primers not seated deep enough can also make the cylinder difficult to turn.

It may just be that after firing 200 rounds, you had too much residue on the face of the cylinder causing it to bind against the forcing cone. Give the cylinder face and the face of the forcing cone a good cleaning and see it that helps.

No, problems with the 461 should not be happening due to wear and tear, until you get 5,000 plus rounds fired through the 461.

Most likely it just got too dirty firing 200 rounds, and particularly if you were firing any lead non jacketed bullets, the lead may have just built up on the front of the cylinder.

The forcing cone is at the rear of the barrel, just in front of the cylinder. You should have 4 100ths to 7 100ths of an inch clearance between the back of the forcing cone to the front or face of the cylinder.

Check all my suggestions out before you start borrowing more complex fixes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't describe so that's why I attached some pictures of my guns. I got the impression from another forum that I'm not cleaning my Rossi correctly and it also seem like Rossi isn't a top quality gun so there might be some glitch but I'll try your suggestion first.

·
Registered
32,137 Posts
As to the barrel condition after looking at the photos, those may be lead deposits. Try giving the barrel and forcing cone a good dose of solvent and then use a wire bore brush on it and see if you can get rid of the lead. That may not be what it is, but it appears to be. Run the brass bore brush all the way through the barrel, being careful not to ding the blast shield. Also never stop a bore brush in the barrel and start back the other way, always take it all the way through or you may break off some of the brass bristles that can get into the internals and clog things up. Brush across the face of the forcing cone to remove lead on the edge and do the same on the front face of the cylinder.

·
Registered
32,137 Posts
The quality of the Rossi's are generally pretty good and an excellent value even at retail. You got a great deal buying at Academy on black Friday. A close friend also bought one then on my recommendation, and that is now one of his favorite handguns.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Yeah, what I see is cleaning issue. Could tell more with photo of cylinder face, if it has a clearance problem.

I love my 461, have a lot more than 200 thru it, but I have cleaned it usually about every 50 to 100 rd.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok after cleaning with Hoppe's 9 and rem oil. I was able to replicated the trigger problem. Here is a pic. http://i.imgur.com/SqvTm.jpg

T
here is still a layer of residue in the barrel. I'm running out of idea on cleaning it out. Do you guys have some idea on how to get rid of it? I used brush, Hoppe's 9 and rem oil for cleaning.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Ok after cleaning with Hoppe's 9 and rem oil. I was able to replicated the trigger problem. Here is a pic. http://i.imgur.com/SqvTm.jpg

T
here is still a layer of residue in the barrel. I'm running out of idea on cleaning it out. Do you guys have some idea on how to get rid of it? I used brush, Hoppe's 9 and rem oil for cleaning.

Thanks
Wow, I do like the most recent pic of your Rossi! Makes me want to get one. If you are still having cleaning issues, try this stuff out: J-B® NON-EMBEDDING BORE CLEANING COMPOUND - Brownells -- it works great in my muzzleloader....

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
This looks like more of a malfunction with the internal trigger mechanism, like the notch between the trigger and the hammer/sear is slipping. It seems to be more than a cleaning issue and should be sent in for service. Just my 2cents

1 - 11 of 11 Posts