Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where to get the hammer nose for my 971? Fun little gun with the short barrel and the comp, so I would like to get it going again.

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
113 Posts
Guys;
I think I have the same 2 1/2" barreled stainless Rossi .357 971 w/the integral 3/4" compensator. Odd gun I largely hated when they first came out; then I had the excuse of just having to have one as a Town Range Officer a few years later and it MAY be my Alaskan backwoods backpacking gun soon...

Please confirm the hammer nose is the replaceable part that actually strikes the primer and tell us why on earth it needs replacing?!

Thanks

Alden

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I would guess it broke! I know mine is attached to the Hammer, and can be changed. Mine is fine thus far. Of course Rossi/Tauri now have the good warranty, which makes them even better.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 351 and mine broke at the range awhile back. The smith at my range replaced it for 30 dollars. From what I've gathered since this is a common problem w the Rossi revolvers. It has fired several hundred rounds since without a hitch.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey Skid;
Can you put a bigger grip on that snubbie?!
What's the point, anyway...
Alden

·
Registered
90 Posts
Big hands, big grip. Thats the point...duh. They are custom grips to my hands. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
113 Posts
lol To help w/recoil, control, and accuracy? Could've just bought a bigger gun. OK, ok, but u know what they'll say -- big hands, little barrel.
Alden

·
Registered
90 Posts
Actually...every time I take a pic w this darn digital it compresses from R to L and the revolver ends up lookin smaller than the grips, which is really 2" longer than the grips. Turned the gun counter clockwise and it elongated it TOO much. Gave up n left it that way. P.S...the range master is QUITE ;D impressed with the length :eek: of the barrel in question

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
So it is the camera that makes things look funky! :???: But one part smaller, and in the same Picture another part larger!! :rolleyes: Ok, I know I work with digital pictures some, what brand camera I could use that for some things I do. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Now look at my new avatar and tell me the weapon doesn't look longer in this pic than the last. I know my ACTUAL measurements aren't lying. Nevermind the hand. You can still see the overall length and width. Someone is probably gonna move this thread since it has gotten a little off topic :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey, new guy with the same problem. Did the OP find an answer to his question?

I have a 4" 971 with a....broken firing pin....or hammer nose as it is officially called I believe. Would like a good source for parts. I have sent an email to a place call M & M in Virginia.

I'm just glad I found the broken "hammer nose" shooting at targets as opposed to a bad guy.

Thanks,

Nunya

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
Yep, my old 971 busted a firing pin, too. I sent it back to Interarms, importer at the time, and it broke on the very first range sesson. I took it to a trusted gunsmith and he fixed it for cheap and it fired several thousand trouble free rounds before I traded it off on a Ruger .45 Blackhawk. The smith just said it needed proper fitting. I guess there was a frame burr in there or something stressing it, not sure, but he fixed it right for not that much money.

It does seem to be a problem over the years. I've not had the problem with my old M68. It is a better fitted gun than my early 90s M971 was. I really prefer the floating firing pin of my Taurus revolvers to a hammer mounted one. My Smith M10 has a hammer mounted one. It hasn't broken...knock on wood...though the forcing cone split once and put it out of commission. I had the same smith put a 4" heavy barrel I'd bought for 50 bucks out of a Shotgun News add on it. That one's been good ever since. I do clean the forcing cone of excess lead religiously now. I think tha was the cause of THAT problem. I just hope the firing pin holds up. I don't carry it for defense, though, just a range shooter.

Do NOT dry fire a hammer mounted firing pin without snap caps, hard on it. That might have caused MY problem as I was guilty of some dry firing with that gun. The smith that fixed it didn't seem to thing that was the problem, don't know. But, when I got it back from Interarms, I hadn't pulled the trigger on it and it busted on the first cylinder full. :rolleyes" So, I don't know. It worked after my smith fixed it, so I guess that's what matters. I didn't carry that gun for defense, but I did hike with it and killed a javelina with it once. Mine was quite light on the hip and pretty accurate. Took quite a few rabbits with it for camp meat, too, using wadcutters. I liked it as an outdoor gun, but my 4" Taurus 66 is a more accurate gun and slicker action and has the Ruger style transfer bar lockwork that I like. It fills that niche a bit better and it's almost as light on the hip to carry, being of K frame size.

BTW, I had a 4" barrel on my 971, not ported, and loved it. It was full lugged, balanced well, and felt recoil and control with heavy loads was NOT an issue. It was much easier on the hand and much less muzzle flip than my old Ruger Security Six. I can't seen porting a 971, don't like ported guns, anyway.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well, I couldn't find a hammer nose (firing pin) for my 971 ANYWHERE...so I called Rossi today. The guy on the other end was very nice and professional. He took my information and said he would send me one as a courtesy. He did say the computer system was down, so he will have to put the info in when it comes up. Overall, it was a pleasant experience....we'll see when the part shows up.

I still haven't heard from M&M in Virginia. Anyone know if they are still around?

Thanks,

Nunya

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for the number, Dave. I am still waiting to receive a new firing pin from Rossi they said they would send out when I spoke to them on December 4th. If I don't have anything by the end of the week, I will call them.

Nunya

·
Registered
80 Posts
nunya53 said:
Well, I couldn't find a hammer nose (firing pin) for my 971 ANYWHERE...so I called Rossi today. The guy on the other end was very nice and professional. He took my information and said he would send me one as a courtesy. He did say the computer system was down, so he will have to put the info in when it comes up. Overall, it was a pleasant experience....we'll see when the part shows up.

I still haven't heard from M&M in Virginia. Anyone know if they are still around?

Thanks,

Nunya
Well, 2-9-09 and still no "hammer nose"...I called back today and spoke to "Christian" after a lengthy wait on hold. He was able to pull up records of my last call and stated that my previous order was processed on 13 Dec 08 and shipped via FEDEX ground but was unable to provide me with a tracking number. He did say he would re-process the order and I should have the part by the end of the week. We will see......

Nunya

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good luck, Nunya! Our revolvers may well have the same disease. Mine is just a few months ahead of yours. I hope you don't have any more problems. I really like Rossi revolvers, but they must prove reliable and dependable. In addition to my R462, I have the R851 4" 38 special. I've had no problems with it at all. It has now taken the R462's place in the console of my truck. I don't have to worry about limp-wristing a revolver.
Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts