Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in a single shot long gun, (I guess a heavy barrel .44mag would be choice no one is making one AFASK...)

I was looking at one of thier shotguns 20ga. youth model -I want something small, maybe evan get a ATI stock for it...is it any good?

I'm desideing between H&R/NEF and Rossi which one would be a better choice?

·
Registered
29 Posts
i recently picked up the rossi matched set with the .243, 12 Gauge, and 50 cal ML. I put a cheap Wally World Tasco 3x9 scope on it and I can shoot quarter sized groups at 70 yards, I popped a crow with the 12 gauge on the fly at about 50 yards, I haven't messed with the muzzle loader much but I feel I can get that dialed in as well.

Overall I am very pleased with the set and would recommend it to a begginner hunter or someone on a budget. Only con is that I wish the .243 barrel was longer, maybe a 26" or 28" would have been nice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
They are pretty decent for the price and I always see them under MSRP-- I used a Rossi 20ga in Junior High to hunt dove, pheasant, duck, and clay pidgeons--nothing pretty, just plain jane functionality--- My dad wouldn't let me shoot a pump or auto to hunt birds with-- and overall it taught me real world marksmanship--

To answer your question-- I love Rossi single shot rifles, and I think they are better made than the NEF/H&Rs (which are fine shooters also...)-- probably will pick up one in 7.62x39 in the next couple of weeks and pimp it ati style-- but that's just me..

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
I like my 92 "Puma", a Winchester 92 copy. It's a lot of fun at the range in .38/.357 and a versatile field gun, though I hardly ever hunt with it. I've killed one doe with it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
ive owned a couple of their rifles , they have a few things i liked one was they have extractor not ejectors, you dont have to chase brass if you reload, they are a lot lighter then the NEF i had a 45longcolt/410 rifle and a 357 rifle both shot well, i like NEF sights a lot better easierto see and adjust, nef id say would be a better built choice and american made? you can have barrels added to the nef also as an option i guess what fits you and ur budget

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
The Handi-Rifles appeal to me for some reason. I've never owned one but for the price and the calibers they are chambered in (including the .500 S&W Mag) they look hard to beat. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the rossi in 223 and loved the accuracy but had problems with extraction. I used to carry a brass rod with me to the range to push the empty brass out most of the time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like my Rossi Puma in 357. Handy little package. Accurate enough for iron sights. Better than average wood and the blue job is old school (really nice).

Out West

1 - 8 of 8 Posts