Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded my semi on a Rosi 97104 357. Havent even gotten it to the range yet and the hammer has locked up on me. If I pull the trigger it functions fine, but if I try to manually pull the hammer back its extremely difficult and wants to lock up all together. Any ideas? This is my CCW so if this is what I can expect from this thing its going back for my semi. While the semi was bulky and somewhat cumbersome to carry at least its never failed me. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Actions taken up to the problem:

Open cylinder
Remove ammunition
Close cylinder
Pull trigger
Pull hammer (no luck, it was locked up)
Checked locking mechanism to make sure it was fully released
Locked and unlocked the hammer lock
Tried again (still wont pull back)
Rotated cylinder (no luck)
Double checked trigger functionality (still works)

?????????

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Open it up and make sure the extractor rod is tightened all the way in.
I assume your speaking of the rod that pushes the spent casings out of the cylinder, if so, its tight. This pistol was traded on as "like new, never fired" and appears as such.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Feels like 80 grit or heavier sand paper in the action,and every now and then it fails to rotate the cylinder. Pretty sure something inside broke. I could see this if I was constantly dry firing it with no snap caps, but it's been holstered since the day I bought it, short of when I swapped in snap caps to function test before going out.

Dustin

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
There's a lot more knowledgeable revolver guys here than me, but I'd check to see if the cylinder turns freely when it's open. And I'd check the cylinder gap at the cone using a set of feeler gauges. Rossi's are tight little guns.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Not meaning to be a wiener, but have you stripped it down and given it a good cleaning and lube? Your problem may go beyond that, but thats my favorite starting point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's a lot more knowledgeable revolver guys here than me, but I'd check to see if the cylinder turns freely when it's open. And I'd check the cylinder gap at the cone using a set of feeler gauges. Rossi's are tight little guns.
Cylinder turns freely when open. I can spin it like a top. Unfortunately I don't have feeler gauges.

Dustin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not meaning to be a wiener, but have you stripped it down and given it a good cleaning and lube? Your problem may go beyond that, but thats my favorite starting point.
Any attempt to help is greatly appreciated :) as soon as I got it home I took the grips off and detail cleaned everything. I refuse to remove the side panel at this time because I want no BS from the gun shop when I take it in. At this point I've decided I'm going to try to get my pistol back. If this pistol is failing before I even hit the range, I simply wont trust it to function when I need it most to protect my life.

Dustin

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I wouldn't take the side plate off, either. A trip back
the seller sounds like the best option for now.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts