Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to learn my ne Rossi 92 in .357. I drifted the rear sight over a bit and got the windage right. I was shooting at close range (50') to make sure I would keep it on the paper (and the range was a quagmire and I didn't want to walk too far). I was using my reloads with a 125gr plated flat point with HP-38 at .38 Special +P levels for starters.

Once I got the windage right, I shot some groups of 5 resting my elbows on the bench to steady myself holding the rifle. Each time, the first shot was dead on or just about, then the following 4 were a bit low and right, see the pictures. I know it's probably me, but is there any other logical explanation? The groups are in the order I shot them and since they were so consistent I wondered if something else was going on. It wasn't really rapid shooting like Cowboy Action, but it was relatively quick so if any barrel heating might occur it didn't have time to cool too much.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
The only thing that might be causing it that I would figure is the first shot you take your time, then jump on the rest. So perhaps you are jerking the trigger which would make you go low right side if shooting right handed. Try it a bit slower between shots and pay attention to the way your trigger finger actually sits on the trigger for the first round compared to the follow up shots.

·
Super Moderator
35,342 Posts
Bench the thing on sandbags. DON'T HOLD it. Let the bags hold the gun, just try to squeeze the trigger without moving the gun. Concentrate on the trigger.

Walmart has some shooting bags I want for testing. They're not, but about 20 bucks.

My 92 with my handloads will hold 1.5" groups at 50 yards with light .38s and 4" at 100 yards with heavy magnums.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts