Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i have been looking for a 92 in 20" 357 but have not found one locally but i did find a pre owned 16" in 45lc. i really wanted the 357 because i can also shoot 38's and it would be more affordable to shoot and also have a single action in 357 . the thing is that i can get the used (never fired) 45lc version for under $400. thoughts and opinions?....thanks

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
I've got a 16" '94 Winchester Trapper in .45Colt and I'm kind of hot and cold about it.

On the positive side, it's an easy gun to carry in the woods, it's strong enough to run any .45Colt ammo I can get to cycle (335gr bullets are too long to feed through the magazine), it hits like Thor's hammer and it's got more than enough capacity.

On the downside, it's kind of stubby and doesn't handle well when shouldered. There's not enough weight out front for it to swing worth a crap. The lighter, round carbine barrel also heats up quickly, so accuracy- or as much accuracy as you're gonna get from a short barreled lever gun- tends to suffer if you try to fire quickly and, being a CAS competitor for the last decade+, I tend to shoot fairly fast. Shooting +P+ reloads or the Corbon or Buffalo Bore hunting loads for an extended session isn't exactly fun. Recoil can be a bit 'lively' when shooting 300gr bullets at a chrongraphed 1400+fps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info, i am really looking to get into cowboy action shooting so i should have mentioned that in my first post. i am in NJ so i would not be hunting with it. mostly taking it to the range

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
If you are looking to get into CAS, hold out for a 20 inch barrel. The Trapper lengths don't have enough capacity. You want at least a 10 round capacity for CAS competition.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm a .45 shooter, so I'm a bit bias. I'd hold out for a 20 or 24" - longer sight radius will result in a better shooting. Mine is really a .454, with a recoil pad, and I shoot .45 Colt with 230 and 255gr lead bullets. I went with the larger boolit because the current shortages are affecting smaller cals more than the big stuff. I'm finding .45 Colt and .454 on the gun store shelfs, and I'm in a small market. I added a tang sight and that did wonders for my accuracy - I now have "near-scope" results. The tang sight looks good, is easy to use and certainly improved my Cowboy Silhouette scores. Once the rear semi-buckhorn sight was removed I found the barrel drilled for a scope mount - a "Scout" scope with intermediate eye relief. I like the looks of the tang sight better and it will do everything I need out to 200 yards.
If I were to hunt with the M92 I'd go with a .454 load. Send a 250gr boolit downrange at 1800fps and you'll know why you want to recoil pad.
Last weekend I began to see the ammo situation start to ease up. The Bass Pro shop had .22 ammo on the shelves and there weren't 200 people trying to buy all they could carry. Perhaps the shortages are easing up a bit - hope so.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Your reasoning was the same as mine so if it were me, I would wait for a .357. I have a SAA in .357 and wanted ammo compatibility plus the cheaper .38s, plus less recoil and better accuracy. Personally I just think the .357 is the best option for pistol caliber.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the great advice..Fortenbras, did you ever have any problems when using 357 ammo? i read a few posts on here and apparently it sounds like a lot of people have a problem whenever using 357 but 38sp has no problems

·
Registered
246 Posts
No, the only issue I've had was in the beginning loading .38s. They were a little sticky going in but it clears up with use.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Ah guys don't you know the difference in this two rounds?

38/357 is for Tofu eaters
45 Colt is for meat eaters

Just joking guys see this all the time. :):D

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Your reasoning was the same as mine so if it were me, I would wait for a .357. I have a SAA in .357 and wanted ammo compatibility plus the cheaper .38s, plus less recoil and better accuracy. Personally I just think the .357 is the best option for pistol caliber.
I know the original poster isn't going to be hunting, but if he were thinking of hunting, the .357 can come close to the power of a .30-30, and has a lot better range than a .45 LC

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
I know the original poster isn't going to be hunting, but if he were thinking of hunting, the .357 can come close to the power of a .30-30, and has a lot better range than a .45 LC
The .45Colt out of a '92 or a '94 can be loaded to replicate some of the lighter bullet weight black powder .45-70 loads (if it could take buffalo, it can make Bambi DRT). As long as you are comparing them by bullet weight, the +P+ or 'Ruger Only' .45 Colt loads are close enough in many cases that only a ballistician would notice the difference. Even factory 'hunting' ammo for the .45Colt is capable of doing that. My '94 Trapper using the Corbon 300gr JSP hunting load was chronographed with an average of 1430fps and a standard deviation of 30fps. A 300gr bullet @1400-1450fps is a pretty good imitation of the old .45-55-300 Trapdoor Carbine load the US Army used during the Indian Wars. The biggest difference- other than the .458 and .451 bullet diameter difference- is my Trapper holds 9 and their Trapdoor held one.

Out of a 20 or 24 inch barrel, going to a hot loaded .45Colt for hunting is kind of overkill unless you are going after really big deer. A 250gr cast lead bullet over a compressed load of FFg (35gr or so) will shoot slam through (in one side and out the other) a West Georgia whitetail at about 75 yards. The same bullet with a max charge of Unique will do the same thing at slightly less. Neither got a chance to take more than a step and I figure that step was more of a stumble than an attempt to run. The only other round I've ever seen used on whitetail that ever did that consistently was a .35 Whelen.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ah guys don't you know the difference in this two rounds?

38/357 is for Tofu eaters
45 Colt is for meat eaters

Just joking guys see this all the time. :):D
Nowadays 38/357 is for those who want to be able to afford to eat :)

Reactions: Rossi

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I have the .454 92 with a 20" barrel. It will only hold 9+1 in the .454 but will hold 10+1 in the .45 long colt. Its a great shooting rifle. It compliments my .454 Raging Bull very nicely..:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts