Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Nice buy. Congrats. You picked a winner carbine caliber.

First thing I'd probably do to it is tear it apart, stuff in a decent set of Palo Verde springs. Well worth the effort. Trouble is then I'd probably go gaga trying buff to out the stainless to a mirrored sheen.
Text Font Line Paper product

I picked up an older .44 MAG Rossi 65('92 clone) a while back. It'd had a rough life and needed lots of TLC. Even after a good thorough cleaning, racking .44's through it felt like running a bumper jack attached to a '53 DeSoto. Ejected brass flew far, far away.

The original hammer spring looked like it belonged to a farm implement, and the hammer strut was bent from all the excessive pressures it'd endured.
Metalworking hand tool Surgical instrument Tool

Its stock was split at the tang due to poor fitment and the forend was poorly made. To the right, you can see the bent hammer strut beneath the original spring. Rossi's Q.C. must've been out to lunch the day my 65 was built.
Revolver Fashion accessory

Wood Bumper Metal Car
With what burrs I could hone out of the action and with another cleaning before installing the new springs, the .44 is now a smooth operator, trigger was improved and it drops the brass at my feet.

Nothing wrong with having a decent lever gun. Have fun with your new arrival.
Gun Firearm Rifle Shotgun Air gun

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
AWESOME! I love my old 92 in .357, but it's blued. It looks good in a traditional sort of way, though. :D

I've always thought the .454 in stainless might make a HANDY and dandy carry for folks in Alaska worried about bear. That .454 hits HARD out of a handgun, much less a carbine. :D For around here, I think the .357 is about optimum. Ain't nuthin' it can't kill in the woods here and it's a VERY versatile caliber as I can shoot near .22LR equivalent .38 special handloads in it. It's very accurate with either loads, just requires an elevation change. I put an aperture sight on it which is click adjustable which facilitates that change. :D I've shot deer with the gun and I've shot squirrels. THAT is versatility!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats! Just got mine 3 weeks ago and it is this same as yours. Have not shot it yet. They look really good don't they ?
Congratulations on yours too.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
Congrats, mine is a .45 Colt and shoots great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts