Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum here! Considering the purchase(have 3 day inspection) on a Rossi 88 imported by Interarms. 38 special, 3" barrel, Stainless Steel. Appears to be in great shape.
I want to upgrade the grips. As best I can figure, it's a J frame square end. Anything compatible?
I've found some Hogue wood grips that fit S&W J frame square end...anyone know if they will fit?
Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've got Pachmayr Compac grips (for Rossi) on my 68. I really like them. I'm not sure how
compatible these Rossi's are with j-frame grips. I've read, or been told, that these revolvers
are slightly larger than S&W's j-frames.

PA180045.JPG

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
My M88 is slightly bigger than my j frames. I once tried pulling the grip of the Rossi, but I wasn't sure my old one piece rubber grip would survive the process, so I bailed. Based on the other dimensions of the revolver, I guess I wouldn't count on the grip frame being the same size, but modifying over-sized wood grips would seem doable. Maybe round butt K frame grips would be an option if you didn't want to modify grips.

I have N frame Pachmyar presentations on a K frame Smith revolver. To my surprise, they fit tightly with very minor non-permanent alterations. They work good - just an unsightly gap at the top.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Troutkiller, the Pachmayr seems to be the only readily available fit. i think the 88 is the SS version of the 68. i do not have the gun in hand yet, to determine the grip removal process or what the frame actually looks like. I like the looks of the Compac on your 68. Is it soft or tacky? the whole reason to switch out is to improve control of the gun primarily for my wife, who has relatively small hands.
she has experience shooting a Ruger BlackHawk SA in 38/357...we just shoot the 38's in it. My local dealer reccomended the 68/88 as having the 3" barrel, relatively easy trigger pull in double action, and mid-weight.
We will use it as her home protection gun, not to carry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rossi,
I saw some pretty nice Hogue wood with finger grooves, but they referenced the S&W small frame.
When I called Hogue, they said the would not fit the Rossi 68/88, so it sounds like the Pachmayr compaq is my only choice, other than the Rossi plastic grips(some on gunbroker & Ebay) thanks!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts