Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm looking for an inexpensive but reliable 4" revolver for range fun and possibly to try my hand at either IDPA or ICORE competition. I'd love to see opinions from you Rossi owners on how well you think the 851 would hold up to such use.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Reactions: SIGnoramus

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I'm interested in one of these guns also.

Unfortunately it seems that the only Rossi revolvers that get noticed are the ones that Academy carries and they don't carry the 851.

Here's a good video to watch from a well respected fellow.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I have a Rossi 972 it is the stainless 6 inch .357 brother of the blued 4 inch .38 special 851. I realy like this revolver, it's accurate and dependable. I have no doubt you will like the 851 but you may have second thoughts later and wonder why you did not get a .357 mag. in the first place, you can still shoot .38 special target ammo and go deer hunting....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@leejack - Thanks for the video link.

@gbusmech - I have several revolvers and this one's only roles will be the ones mentioned above. I have debated getting a 971 instead, but I don't see a need to spend the extra money in this case. I'm sure that I'll eventually own both if I get the 851 and it holds up well.
Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
I had a student in one of my FDLE CJSTC Firearms Instructor courses show up with a Rossi M-851.

He was the only student in the class with a revolver.

He was offered the choice of a GLOCK, SIG or Beretta from the academy armory, but declined.

During the length of the course he fired over 600 rounds on 13 different courses of fire.

Due to competing against semiautos with magazine reloads he was dead last in every event "time wise".

However, he scored above the 90% range required to pass the course for instructor certification.

That's a pretty good endorsement of the model and the man.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I've been the proud owner of an 851 for quite a few years. It is, without a doubt, my favorite revolver for taking to the range.

Mine is the fairly-rare 3" stainless model, and it's just a tremendous firearm. Reliable, accurate, easy to shoot, and darned good-looking, in my opinion.

I don't see how anyone could go wrong with one of these

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been the proud owner of an 851 for quite a few years. It is, without a doubt, my favorite revolver for taking to the range.

Mine is the fairly-rare 3" stainless model, and it's just a tremendous firearm. Reliable, accurate, easy to shoot, and darned good-looking, in my opinion.

I don't see how anyone could go wrong with one of these
That's a fine-looking revolver!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
@leejack - Thanks for the video link.
You're welcome sir. I've had my eye on this badboy as well as the 971 and the 461 and the 351 LOL!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all of you for your input. I found the 851 at Bud's for $319, so I had to go ahead and order it. I'm looking forward to testing it out when it arrives!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Thanks to all of you for your input. I found the 851 at Bud's for $319, so I had to go ahead and order it. I'm looking forward to testing it out when it arrives!
Congrats! I'd like to see a picture and a range report if you don't mind.

·
Registered
96 Posts
its a great gun. i have the 4". a joy to shoot as well. its been through rain, snow, mud and dust due to the fact that its my trail gun. its dispatched many opossums and just today a skunk that was going after my chickens. no doubt that you will love it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts