Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What about this new batch of rough looking Rossi trade ins? They look pretty thrashed but probably haven't seen many rounds.....anyone have one? These are a good item for the oddball police and security revolver collector since, FWIW Rossi didnt import many 841's into the US.

Reactions: Steyr

·
32,851 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have one of these...bought a month or so back....Rough it is on the exterior for sure. I would guess mine is maybe 40 or 50 percent original blue..the rest worn off shiny or turned brown patina. Grips are well-worn too..like most service guns the right-grip gets the most abuse/wear...the gun was missing the sideplate screw under the grips for some odd reason(like somebody took the grips off and stole the out-of sight screw!)...I had to fabricate a new tiny screw....This gun also had some lead fouling in the forcing-cone/bore and a touch in the cylinders when I got it. Must've been fed a steady diet of lead bullets...had some rust-pitting under the grips and small patches of active rust

This cool revolver did come to me in good-working order(aside from the missing screw and lead)...I fabricated a new screw and scrubbed the chambers and bore free of lead..cleaned up the rust under the grips...plus pulled the cylinder/crane and removed the sideplate and flushed the crud from the mechanism and lubed...carefully inspected the gun...put it all back together and it is a really sweet little revolver. Shoots fine and sights are perfect for 158gr lead..has a reasonably smooth double-action..and a decent single-action pull.

I also own a couple Taurus 82 Century imports...and the Rossi 841 is the most comfortable of the trio...the Taurus revolvers I have are two totaly different versions from each other..One a really early style and well worn/battered Model 82(I had to repair the lock-work on this one)...the other a quite decent/nice late-version 82 with the rubber grips and most of it's blue finish(these are the ones to buy for a solid-shooter)....anyhow back to the Rossi 841 compared to the two age extremes of the Century Taurus's...the Rossi is like a frame-size smaller than the Mod. 82..reminds me of a Colt 'D' frame size-wise. Makes for a nice-size 4" six-shot .38 revolver...short enough trigger-reach to be comfortable for the the ladys. I really like mine despite the worn appearence. It's mechanicaly solid..comfortable..and accurate enough to be fun to shoot....I probably paid too much for mine considering condition..but I wanted one to go with the trade-in Taurus's and hadn't seen one before. I paid $195...I would say maybe $125-$150 would be a more realistic/reasonable price...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info:) I'm glad most of these are in working order. I have also heard the older wood gripped 82's are the ones to avoid and the rubber grip models are newer and less beat up.

Yeah these are all over GunBroker and most look very beat. They are probably from the same place as the Taurus 82 trade ins. I would expect poor cosmetic condition from blued revolvers that were probably carried in leather holsters for 20+ years in South American humidity. They probably haven't seen many rounds though. I have two 90's era 82's that were US security trade ins that I "worked" with Wolff springs. I would like one each of the trade in 82's and the Rossi 841 just to clean up and leave as is for my police, corrections and security trade in collection.

It is unclear where these came from, some say Brazilian police or prison system, and some say Brazilian or other SA country private security firm. Either way they traded a TON of 82's and 841's in, that was about a year or so ago and the 82's are still all over the place.

Reactions: Steyr

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any pics of your 841 and 82's?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't even own a functional digital camera at the moment..been buying guns instead of a new camera.

I can tell you that my Rossi appears similiar shape to the mod.841 revolvers you see on the auctions...maybe a touch worse wear.

The Taurus Model 82 revolvers I've seen..and I've handeled several..range from about 10% original finish/battered and broken to maybe 90%+ original finish and carried some but used little condition...The better shape Mod.82 revolvers are the newer style with rubber grips just like on current production Taurus revolvers. I've seen at least three generations/variations of what pass for model 82. These seem to range from 1970's era revolvers to same as you can buy in a store new.

I've only seen one version of the Rossi's..the Model 841..and all I've looked at are approx. the same condition..well used!

Supposedly..these are actual Brazilian goverment trade-ins...crest and or markings milled off...some actual military guns...some from the various Brazilian police agencys. I wish they hadn't scrubbed these of user-markings!....The oldest Taurus 82 I have has a three segment..13 digit number on the back-strap that looks to me like some sort of guv number. The others just have the usual scrubbed area on the right side.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I also wish they left the govt. markings on them. The SA govt.'s seem pretty OCD about doing this, like the Argentinean Mausers that came in years back, that had the crests filed off.

I wonder what they switched to, after they traded all these 82's and Rossis in, PT92's?:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't know for sure what they switched to?

I do know that just recently the Brazilian guv lightened up on some handgun restrictions..and made it legal for run of the mill police forces to own/issue .45 caliber handguns..if that has anything to do with these Taurus and Rossi revolvers I do not know?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some US states still require private security firms and even corrections depts. to issue only 6 shot .38 revolvers......probly why Taurus still makes 82's. there is virtually no demand for medium frame .38 fixed sight revolvers among the general public.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some US states still require private security firms and even corrections depts. to issue only 6 shot .38 revolvers......probly why Taurus still makes 82's. there is virtually no demand for medium frame .38 fixed sight revolvers among the general public.
Not so sure on this point...Seems as if lots of folks still want .38 Special revolvers...there are a lot of internetz operaters/couch commandos that may think the revolver is dead...however I believe a lot of long-time shooters and new gun owners seem to like the ultimate simplicity the revolver provides. Box of ammo and a revolver and you are off and rocking!...no magazines to fuss with or have to find spares...not much worrys about what ammo will run the gun reliably...this fits a lot of shooters(or non-shooters) style.

·
32,851 Posts
A lot of the gun writers/gun instructors recommend the .38 Special revolver in droves in the last few years. The advantages of them have already been listed above os there is no reason to go into that.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went ahead and bought an 841, figured for $140 plus shipping and transfer I could add another toy to my holster beat trade in collection:) also got a Taurus 82 trade in

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have been looking to add one of the police trade-in Rossi Model 841's to my modest collection of PD trade-ins. A fixed sight .38 sixgun from Brazil would go nice with the Model 82 I have that was an ex-Brazilian Police sixgun. The price tag is not very expensive in the ads I've seen on the trade-in Rossi Model 841 Service Revolvers. Gotta get one!

David

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope to pick my 841 up from my dealer tomorrow, and with any luck I got a good one that doesn't need any tinkering. Also hope I can put a cylinder or two through it and it isn't too dirty or rusty for a test fire. Then I will work on cleaning it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts