Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I looked, talked my self into it, out of it and back into it.

I ordered a new Rossi 461 2" today. I am close enough to BudsGunShop, that I will go pick it up, when they tell me it is ready.

For a 6 shot 357, I kind of figured that $263 plus tax was about the best deal I could find. If I ordered out of state, the cost was going to be over $300, plus FFL fees and other etc.

State Tax here is 6%, and I had to pay them 7.89 because I used a credit card. Still the total was $286.67.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That sounds like a good price to me! I just paid $219 for lightly used 461. If they had a new one for the price you got, I would have bought that instead.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the reasons I bought it, was!!

Taurus manufactures three models of .38 Special revolvers and four models of .357 Magnum revolvers under contract with Rossi.

Also I like the idea of having 6 rather than 5, and still smaller than the 7 rounders.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought one from a guy at work that was LNIB for 50.00, the only problem was the screw and detent that holds the yoke in broke. After waiting about 3 months, I was able to get Rossi to send me one for nothing. Once it was replaced the gun is good as new. I am impressed with the fit and finish and like having a small framed 2" in .357. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet and honestly I bought it on a whim because for 50.00 I figured that I couldn't go wrong. I find these deals from time to time and find that they make good travel CCW guns. This will be a good one to stash in the house as another "readily accessible" pistol if needed.

And for what is considered an underrated gun it sure does get a lot of good reviews and press. So far from what I have seen here there really isn't anyone here that does not like theirs.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Norfdet said:
I bought one from a guy at work that was LNIB for 50.00, the only problem was the screw and detent that holds the yoke in broke. After waiting about 3 months, I was able to get Rossi to send me one for nothing. Once it was replaced the gun is good as new. I am impressed with the fit and finish and like having a small framed 2" in .357.
I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet and honestly I bought it on a whim because for 50.00 I figured that I couldn't go wrong. And for what is considered an underrated gun it sure does get a lot of good reviews and press.
Why do I never find deals like that!

Yeah, I love mine, and it shoots closer to POA, for me than my PT111. I plan to keep it loaded with 38's 99% of the time. I know I will try out some 357's but unless things change 38's will do what I want to do.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
wow no kidding 50 bucks.. dude you stole that gun.

a lot of guns i come across the crazy SOB's are charging only about 10% less then new..

if im not getting it at least -33% NIB it aint worth it imo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had one for a little over a year now and it is a great gun. Easy to carry and shoots really well. Enjoy it.

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
Am I missing something here? Oh yeah - PICS !!!! PICS !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it took you long enough to think of that!!
texastaurusguy said:
Am I missing something here? Oh yeah - PICS !!!! PICS !!!!!!
I thought I put a family picture somewhere on here!! They do not do pictures alone.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
I've coveted that gun at the place I buy mine.....I've got to take care of a thing or two, but that gun may end up having a brother living in Texas sometime soon......

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, tolerances are tight, SA trigger is light, DA is a little tough, but it shoots to POA. I was better out of box with it than with the PT111.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hay Robby do you use a speedloader with your 461. I just got a 462 and HKS does not make one for the 461-462. Or will I have to go with a speed strip.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thanks a lot Robby, I will go to there website and check them out.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Robby went to Sportsman's Wearhouse today and got that speed loader. It works great. Thanks again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
had a 461 that I sold to a buddy,and he too had the screw that holds the yolk in fall out.I miis the gun alot actually,and have offered to buy it back.I think he may be still waiting for the parts to come.I found mine to be really accurate and reliable.I wonder if the screw thing is an on going problem w/ these guns.to be fait I mostly shot 38's and I think he shot a lot of hot 357's.Oddly,although a smith and wesson is more"polished",I think the Rossi seems stronger.For the record I have a smith 642 that has gone back 2 times......anyway,I'd buy one again(hopefully I'll buy mine back)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a 461. Liked it, but I didn't have my CC permit and, in a weak moment, sold it to help fund a commander 1911 purchase.

I've since stumbled on an old model 88 in .38spl that I couldn't pass up. The pull to have 6 shots of .357 vs. 5 shots of .38 is growing stronger, though. I'll have another 461 for myself and the m88 will go to my wife.

--jcd

·
Super Moderator
35,012 Posts
The prices are sure tempting. I've sold my SP101 back to my son-in-law. Just don't know How much I'd carry a 461/2. I didn't carry the SP101 that often. My Taurus 3" 66 carries almost as easily, both IWB guns. I love my old M68, though. That thing is really well put together. Impressive for a budget gun. Every bit as good as a M36 Smith IMHO. My 88 had some finishing flaws like a lot of tool marks under the hammer spur that I polished out. The 68 is much better finished and the trigger is budda compared to that M88. The M88 was made around 1990ish. The 68 I bought in 1981. I think they had a little spell there in the late 80s, early 90s when finish quality slacked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts