Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am usually a semi-auto guy...but I bought my first revolver, a Rossi 461 about a month ago. I haven't yet taken it to the range, but from practicing with snap caps one of the things I have noticed is that the trigger pull takes a lot of strength. It isn't much of a problem for me, but I bought the gun mainly for my wife to use as a home defense gun (she cannot rack the slide on my semi-autos). She can pull the trigger in DA mode, but is seems to take a lot of strength on her part. I am concerned she could not get a shot of quickly if rushed. Is there any way to decrease the trigger pull weight on these guns? Thanks!

Joe

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well, if you feel ok, with her firing the gun. Teach her to cock it first, and keep finger off trigger until needed. No problem then, with the reduced trigger pull from single action.

Of course, I have also heard that they break in good. Or it might take a little work on the trigger mechanism to polish and make it smoother and lighter. That will have to be your decision.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Have her practice with the snap caps. That way, #1 she will break in the trigger, #2 she will build strength her trigger pull, and 3# she will learn to think of the gun as hers.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well I picked up my 461 Tuesday, and finally got to fire a few round today.

Your right about the new gun having a pretty tough DA, It even supprised me.

Hopefully it will be lighter after I put a few more rounds thru it. But that SA trigger pull is extremely light. I was popping rounds before I even expected it on the first load. I did not fire much, but aside from the normal learning curve with a new gun, and it being the shortest I have fired. It is even shorter than my derringer actually.

Now I need to get a couple boxes of 38's and really work on that DA trigger pull. I think your wife will at first be advised to work toward using DA. The SA pull is so light, you do not want your finger anywhere near the trigger until you want to fire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2" Rossi and the double action trigger pull was so hard I fired single action all the time(bought it last April) . Then went to a gunsmith for another matter on a Taurus Tracker 22 LR and he worked on the trigger,polished? ,etc. Well I was so happy with the new Double action smoothness and reduced pull, I took the Rossi in for the same work(about $30) Wow! I shoot both double action only now and qualified for IPSIC using a 2" Rossi in double action only.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Yeah, I think I will pass on any work on mine. But I noticed the last time I had it out, that is is starting to smooth out nicely. I think I will give it a few more rounds, then I might use it to qualify for my CCW, next month. I am more accurate with it than my PT111, still.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I only shoot and carry Revolvers. I use the same brake in method for every Revolver. I clean and lube it. I then take fired cases and dry fire at least 2ooo times. When I take them out to shoot, I put at least 200 rounds threw at a time. The double/single action guns have trigers so smooth, I have to be carfull shooting single action, not shooting befor I have the sites lined up. My DAO guns are smooth enough to use on the shooting part of a CCW Class. Works for me.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
drummin_man627 said:
Have her practice with the snap caps. That way, #1 she will break in the trigger, #2 she will build strength her trigger pull, and 3# she will learn to think of the gun as hers.
that sounds like some good info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I felt the same way about the trigger on mine when I first bought it. Like others have said the trigger will smooth out and lighten up with use. Snap caps are a good idea.

·
Administrator
35,507 Posts
I'd put at least 600-800 rounds through it before deciding on whether or not to get a trigger job done on it......

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
Rossi DA is not the first gun I'd think of for a woman or anyone with a weak hand. They do tend to be heavy. Taurus small frame revolvers are much, much better, better even than your average J frame Smith in my experience. The Lady Smiths were lightened for women, at a premium.

You might, though, try looking for a Wolff spring set for the Rossi. Not sure if they're available or not, but likely. You'll need to test a lighter spring to make sure it caps reliably. Compare the stronger spring indentions on fired cases with the lighter spring, too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I own the 461 and believe it to be a good nightstand/truck gun it is not the most pleasurable to fire. It handles the .357 load well and the grips which I believe are some of the ugliest out there are very functional. The double action trigger feels like 20lbs compared to the lighter than air single action pull. It is dead on accurate if cocked but the accuracy is ruined trying to wrestle the da especially one handed and in a pinch that is all you may have time for. I've fired 750-900 rounds with it, at least half .357 and it has not improved yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am putting a Trapper spring kit into my 462. I did a similar thing to a Rossi 88 years ago and it is still shooting pretty 20 years later.

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
I've owned 5 DA Rossis and all had rather stiff DA triggers. They smooth out, though. My old M68, bought in 1981, is a gem, VERY smooth. That revolver is unusually well fit and finished for that time frame in Rossi's history, too. If it didn't have Rossi stamped on it, you'd swear it was a Smith and Wesson 36. But, they do tend to have heavy DA triggers. My M85 Taurus is just as smooth and MUCH lighter, better than the Smiths I've owned and fired. Also, on Smith and Wesson's Lady Smith, basically a worked over M36, Smith went to great pains to reduce the DA trigger pull weight. Ruger's new LCR is supposed to have a fantastic trigger, a new lock design of some kind or another. I really wouldn't consider a Rossi DA for a woman with weak hands. The Taurus 85 is in the same price range, maybe a tad more, but much easier trigger pull. The Lady Smith and Ruger are pricey.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Robby said:
Yeah, I think I will pass on any work on mine. But I noticed the last time I had it out, that is is starting to smooth out nicely. I think I will give it a few more rounds, then I might use it to qualify for my CCW, next month. I am more accurate with it than my PT111, still.
I feel the same way (I have a 462, and the PT111). Maybe it's those heinie sights on the PT111 (they take some getting used to).

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well my other post, was not long after I started shooting the 461 and the PT111. I used the PT over the 461, but accuracy and function on the 461 still remains good. It does need cleaning of the forcing cone, and cylinder face more than my other revolvers, it is tight toleranced.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts