Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Ordered a blue 461 about a week ago. I went in today to put more money down and the gun had arrived so I got to play with it. I discovered that every 5th time I cock the hammer it "sticks" and is very hard to pull back. Pull the trigger and the gun is fine for another 5 hammer cocks. Has anyone heard of this? The employee could make it work but he agreed it was more difficult. While he was checking with his boss, I was reading the book that came with the gun to see if there is something I was doing or not doing (and yes, we both tried adjusting the hammer screw/lock to see if that had any effect...it did not). I could not find any info on the issue I was having, but did see on the last page information that the 461 comes in a 3" barrel. I've been all over the internet but cannot find it. Is there such a beast and, if so, is it more expensive? I ran out of time and told the employee I would contact him Monday. I am going to refuse this gun for (what I think is) obvious reasons. I emailed the employee tonight (a friend) and said I didn't want that gun and, if the 3" was an option, I would rather have it. If not, I wanted to order a 462 (stainless) as I ended up with more money than I had budgeted for.
Anyone that can chime in here will be GREATLY appreciated both for my refusal reason and the 3"
thanks

·
32,496 Posts
What book or catalog mentioned the 3 incher?

Cleaning the gun prior to firing or dry firing would be a good idea.

The liquid preservant inside mine had dried out to the point it was like thick cooking oil and on just about everything inside and outside the revolver. My 462 got a thorough cleaning and degreasing inside and out and there have been no more problems. Gun Scrubber clean out including the firing pin channel, in and around the ejector rod,cylnder face(both sides), and the ejector star will need some scrubbing with gun solvent.

For the firing pin channel dental picks or toothpicks and patches lightly soaked with gun solvent and then dried out with clean patches should help in that region. Do not lube that area.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
A common sale item at Academy, but also usually in stock. I see them all the time. One "black friday" they were $199. Knowing Academy it's possible they get most, if not all, of them. Academy seems to get some Taurus & Rossi models nobody else has. Academy - Rossi R461 .357 Magnum Revolver

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Cleaning the gun prior to firing or dry firing would be a good idea.

The liquid preservant inside mine had dried out to the point it was like thick cooking oil and on just about everything inside and outside the revolver. My 462 got a thorough cleaning and degreasing inside and out and there have been no more problems. Gun Scrubber clean out including the firing pin channel, in and around the ejector rod,cylnder face(both sides), and the ejector star will need some scrubbing with gun solvent.

For the firing pin channel dental picks or toothpicks and patches lightly soaked with gun solvent and then dried out with clean patches should help in that region. Do not lube that area.
I concur!

A thorough cleaning can eliminate some initial problems owners experience with new firearms.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the information!! Is it reasonable for me to ask for another gun though? Given that it catches on every 5th cocking of the hammer, that seems reasonable to me. My fear is using it once then having to send to the factory for repair (which seems to be a 1.5 month vacation...without me). And...after discovering the 3", I'm thinking that's way more fun that shooting 2" with 357 loads (I'm 145 on a good day without my cape).
again, thanks all

·
Registered
31,758 Posts
Being as it is every fifth hammer reset, I am inclined to think there is a mechanical problem attributable to the ejection star or the hand that interacts with the ejection star to rotate the cylinder, most likely the ejection star. Examine it closely to see if the ejection star looks defective. If you think the ejection star is defective, the dealer should be able to get the distributor to eat the gun. The 461-03 is a revolver Rossi seems to reserve for Academy sales only. $229 has been the most recent black Friday item price and it was sold again at that price in January. I think the regular price at Academy is usually $259. It did sell two Black Fridays ago for $199.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, since I am the Newbie...I should ask them to identify the issue and resolve or replace. Do you think this gun shop could order the 3" version from "the Academy"...for 3", I would pay a bit more....
thanks

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
This: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-revolvers/15648-revolver-buyers-checklist.html

Don't accept it. I would be more inclined to say take a chance if there was grittiness or binding in all the chambers as apposed to just one. This might indicate more so a dirty revolver with what I would assume to be the reminiscence of packing grease. One chamber means there is something wrong with one in particular which would probably point more towards a burr or some other kind of defect affecting just one chamber. The bottom line is if you accept it and clean it and it still doesn't work unless you are good at working on revolvers you will be sending it back, which is the same end point as not accepting it. It's okay to be picky;) It's your money!

The only way I would consider it is if the shop was willing to take the side plate off and spray is down with a lubricant and see if that frees it up PRIOR to you taking delivery of it. Otherwise be patient and get one that works well out of the box.

The revolver buyers checklist is really a mandatory read if you want some control over making a knowledgeable purchase.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all....will read and do battle Monday.....Now I am armed with information to better arm myself...(chuckle)
you folks are awesome...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update...The dealer is sending the gun back. I will be ordering SS (462) instead. The 461 with the 3" barrel seems to be only sold by the Academy. I called them and they stock it (279.99+5.00 shipping). Rossi does not list it on their website though so guess it's a special deal gun. I tossed and turned and went with the 2"SS cause I'm looking at only self defense, will carry it some, and rarely use 357 (though still pondering 357 vs 38+P for carry loads). In researching, it sounds like the SS may be a better manufactured gun than the blue version.
So, that's what I know/think/believe...
Hope this helps someone else...

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
My blue m68 will show signs of rust on the cylinder after a few days of being next to my skin. A stainless gun won't do that. Of course, I live in Florida and everything either rusts or grows mold. I just need to be vigilante about it. (..or is that being anal?)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Good choice in sending it back and I really like the SS462 2" you may be surprised at the accuracy. Make sure you inspect prior to taking delivery, oh yea you know that now! LOL

·
32,496 Posts
And puuullllleeeeeeze clean that sucker out when you get it. A field strip and clean inside and out. Rossi uses a liquid preservant that dries to a sticky mess and drys hard. It can be fine enough not to be apparent to a casual look.

Gun Scrubber and a good gun solvent should get rid of it. THe firing pin channel, the cylinder face back and front, and the ejector rod back and front need to be looked at.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
The 461-03 is a revolver Rossi seems to reserve for Academy sales only. $229 has been the most recent black Friday item price and it was sold again at that price in January. I think the regular price at Academy is usually $259. It did sell two Black Fridays ago for $199.
I remembered it as $199 I guess because that's when I got my PT609, another Academy "exclusive".

·
32,496 Posts
The gun should come with a manual. If not there is this.

http://www.rossiusa.com/pdf/Rossi_Manual_Revolvers.pdf

Down load the manual and you're good to go.

The last thing to recommend is to rad the manul all the way through. :)

I've paid in the distant past with another gun for not doing that. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The 461 came with a book...but not that involved...doubt the other will either. Have downloaded already.
thank you kindly sir...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts