Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Rossi revolver earlier this year from a good friend who had never fired it. I purchased it from Academy back when they were on sale for a Black Friday or some such special price event.

Anyway, I took it out two weeks ago with 44 magnum ammunition and loaded all five rounds. Pulled back the hammer took aim and blew the ground up all around my intended target, then proceeded to do the same with round number two. Here is were things began to go wrong, on the third, forth and fifth round the hammer would not hold back in the cocked position. If we tried firing these three rounds with trigger pulls we still got nothing. The hammer would fall but there was no indention or any sign of a primer strike. IF we emptied the wheel and started all over it would be the same thing.

So after doing a deep cleaning on this same revolver I took it out today and loaded 5 rounds of 44 special ammunition. I could pull and lock back the hammer on all five round, each time the trigger was pulled the hammer fell and the round fired. I then loaded 5 rounds of 44 magnum ammunition. This time for the first 4 rounds the hammer pulled back, locked and when the trigger was pulled the rounds discharged. Then on the fifth and final round it went back to the hammer not locking back in place, or when the trigger was pulled the hammer would come back release but no intention on the primer of this final round.

I did notice that when trying to eject the spent casings and last unfired round I had to get something to assist in pushing the ejection rod backwards to do the job.

I tried two different brands of ammunition with the same results.

It is almost like the fired cases are swelling and being pushed rearward at the same time. Any ideas or thoughts you may care to share?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Bummer

Have you tried the 'push off' test? With a EMPTY cylinder cock the hammer back and then try to push the hammer forward with your thumb without touching the trigger. If you can push the hammer forward with little to moderate force there's a fitment issue between the trigger and hammer hook. A trip to Taurus is required to correct this issue. I have fixed several S&W's for this issue but never messed with a Taurus/Rossi gearbox to say it's the same.

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
In some of S&W's lighter titanium/scandium framed .44 mags the phenomenon was caused when the excessive recoil of the magnum rounds partially engaged the internal storage/safety locks. That could possibly be the problem since it does not happen with the lighter recoiling .44 spl. rounds.

·
Registered
13,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't had the opportunity to take it back out and give her another try yet. But I'm not getting to excited about it if she acts up facsimile just let it vacation in Flordia for a bit.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
My Rossi 44 mag..is a mostly a 44 Spl..I have fired a few 44 mag rounds through her ..just for fun..with no problem...When I go romping in the mountains ..(which is very seldom; health issues) it my firearm of choice..loaded with a 240gr LSWC...regular juice.....I'm going to load up a few rounds of lower pressure 44 mag rounds ...more umpff than a 44 spl... and less recoil than a 44mag reg. pressure..

more than likely the finest choice for this Med frame 5 shot 44 mag...

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Something is working loose on the inside during recoil of the heavy loads.

·
Premium Member
11,014 Posts
Something is working loose on the inside during recoil of the heavy loads.
That's the main reason for me handloading reduced 44mag loads. In all fairness though, after about 500 rounds of 44spc and magnum combined, the trigger has gotten pretty smooth and a lot more dependable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a few issues with my first 617 that sounded a lot like yours. I took it apart, scrubbed all of the hardened grease inside, re-lubed and never had another problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts