Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Rossi product line took a big hit for 2015. Gone are the complete line of Single Shots (rifles and shotguns), the complete Rio Grande series, and the 454 Casull has been dropped from the R92 line. Quite a hit. The revolver line up was expanded slightly with the addition of a 22 Mag Plinker.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
In manufacturing, generally speaking, sales below 50% of line capacity causes a much higher price per unit to cover the fixed costs of overhead. Eventually, the high cost will drive down sales until the widget gets cut from production.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Damn, I had been pondering gitting a Rossi lever gun in .454 casull....

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just realized that I had not listed the Ranch Hand, It has been dropped as well. In two years they have dropped two thirds of their product line!

Forjas Taurus Sa is not looking real slick!

Fours years ago Rossi could have dominated the levergun world with all the troubles of the Marlin/Remington fiasco. Braztech absolutely squandered a once in a lifetime opportunity by spending all their management effort on the Taurus product. Self defense handguns are a dime a dozen, leverguns and the opportunity that was presented are not.

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
I just realized that I had not listed the Ranch Hand, It has been dropped as well. In two years they have dropped two thirds of their product line!

Forjas Taurus Sa is not looking real slick!

Fours years ago Rossi could have dominated the levergun world with all the troubles of the Marlin/Remington fiasco. Braztech absolutely squandered a once in a lifetime opportunity by spending all their management effort on the Taurus product. Self defense handguns are a dime a dozen, leverguns and the opportunity that was presented are not.
Yep! They completely overlooked the growing trend of newer shooters looking towards pistol caliber carbines as their knowledge grows. This is in part spurred by the great "ammo panic" of 2012-2013. I will be looking for a carbine myself soon that can chamber 38spl/357 mag. It just makes sense to have a carbine in the pistol caliber you carry/use. Makes ammo sorting and shopping a whole lot easier too. ;)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn, I had been pondering gitting a Rossi lever gun in .454 casull....
I would buy one while you can, they are an awesome rifle! I bought my 480 Ruger out of production and I have not regretted it. With both of these cartridges, the 454 Casull and 480 Ruger, Rossi did something for the levergun hunter that Marlin and Winchester could not do!

I feel the same way with the Rio Grande, especially the RG4570. That rifle is something that Marlin could not make happen, the 45-70 Govt in a 336 frame. At the time, early seventy's, with the manufacturing tolerances they could not get that big cartridge on the carrier and get it past the lever. The 444 Marlin helped resolve this but they had to go to the larger framed 1895 to make it happen with the 45-70 Govt. Had Marlin pulled it off, there would have never been a 444 Marlin. The whole point is that Rossi pulled it off and created an outstanding, light weight big bore rifle. The first time I carried it on a pack in hunt, I sold both of my 1895s as soon as I returned. I knew I would never carry the weight of that heavier frame again.

Over the last couple of years with the Rossi product line taking a total backseat to Taurus, I've been hoping that Braztech would sell them to a business that wants to develop it rather close it down.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
When they came out with their copies of some of the old Winchesters years back I was interested. The little copy of the Winchester 22 pump was so close that I bought one on the spot. Still have one that has had thousands of rounds through it. Has been a favorite with kids and adults. Their lever action 38/357 " before" they added the safety has also been a favorite. I know they can be removed. Life was good when a gun company could just build guns without having to design them to be "damn fool proof". Not having a warning that sitting in the bath tub with the toaster making toast helped thin the gene pool. Back to the rifles, their guns have filled a need very well. Thanks for the warning about production cuts. I will call tomorrow and buy some I had been putting off. The 480 is a great hunting/hog round. A 400 grain bullet at 1000 fps has enough penetration to go from rooter to pooter on most hogs and exit.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Dang it!!

I was hankering for a 20" Rifle in .45 Colt, too. I like octagonal barrels better than the round carbine barrel. I've got a 24" '73 (and a 16" '94 Trapper both in .45 Colt) and wanted something shorter.

Guess if I want one bad enough, I can buy a 24" rifle and either buy a 20" octagonal barrel or have the 24" barrel and the mag tube cut down.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Whew! Looks like I did it again.
Just a year and a half ago I picked up a used (as new) R92 in .454Casull.
I seem to have a knack for buying guns that are shortly thereafter "archived".

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hope they get some new stuff next year. Hope we can still buy stuff next year. Hope we can still own stuff next year. Hope. Change............ I wanna go back. Can we have a mulligan???

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would like to find a 92, 20in round bbl, in stainless, in 44-40 (40WCF). It looks like that cal is gone also. I'm not a big fan of .45 Colt in rifles, because of the blow back issue, with black powder. will have to do some searching.

barracudadave67

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
A while back I bought a ranch hand on a whim. (Yes, I had just seen the zombie movie with Woody Harrelson).

Bad move, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it.

What exactly is the point of a gun like that?

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
A while back I bought a ranch hand on a whim. (Yes, I had just seen the zombie movie with Woody Harrelson).

Bad move, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it.

What exactly is the point of a gun like that?
Josh Randall.

694668-josh-randall-au-nom-loi.jpg

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
Bummer, H&R's single shots are gone and now Rossi. NO more single shot shotguns and the break open rifles. There are still high end falling block single shot rifles, but they're not cheap.

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
If you REALLY wanted one, I think you might still be able to get a Baikal single shot. I have a couple, now, don't really need more anyway. Just hate to see choices die.

·
32,532 Posts
The Ranch Hand is still on page 17 and page 7. Of little consequence though. These are really not that useful but more "Cool" kind of thing. If you have one and it works for you, fine.
http://www.rossiusa.com/pdf/2015_rossi_catalog.pdf

The rifle caliber pistols and the pistol cartridge carbines seem to have become the cool and with it (dates me doesn't this?): ), in other words more popular.

I have not figured out what the rifle caliber pistols are all about as far as usefulness and versatility go. Yes. One can get a attachable brace, but the pistol cartridge caliber carbines have a bit more going for them.

Ballistics of the rifle caliber pistols' short barrel have to be severely compromised. I just don't seen it, but hey, I if others are willing to put up with the limitations of these, then no, harm, and no foul.

I do get the more portable firearm concept but that does not totally explain this phenomenon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts