Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Rossi 461 blued 2'' for home defense. Then decided to join a gun club and shoot. Bought a Taurus 22 LR(61/2" barrel revolver) for most shooting and to teach wife. Haven't fired either gun yet. Now wonder if I should try to trade the 2" for a 4" at the dealer. Have heard that the 2" is only accurate up up about twenty feet .Will probably buy a Beretta 92FS 9mm next for most target shooting.

·
Super Moderator
35,021 Posts
What you heard is ridiculous. I can routinely hit a 12" blind flange hanging from the 100 yard target frames with my 2" .38. All it takes is concentration. Typically, I can get 3" rested groups out of a 2" gun at 25 yards, about as good as I can shoot the gun. It's the short sight radius. The gun will shoot, from a machine rest, much better, but the human eye can only do so much. The 4" gun, if the gun and load are up to it, can be shot more accurately due to the longer sight radius. I can typically get 1" 5 shot rested groups out of my Taurus 4" M66 using Lee cast 148 grain WCs and 2.7 grains Bullseye. I can only get about 3" out of the 2" guns I've fired the same load from. But, my 2" M85 is accurate enough to mow down 6" steel plates at 25 yards 6 out of 6 shots off hand if I really concentrate.

No, you wouldn't choose a snubby for Bullseye competition. However, you can have a lot of fun on a 25 yard range with it and it is DEFINITELY capable of accurate shooting past 25 yards. It does take some practice to master the 2" gun, however. That practice is part of the fun. If you find you're having problems with a certain size target, just shoot at a bigger target. Success re-enforces the ego. ;D

The people that tell you that you can't hit anything past 20 yards with a snub just mean THEY can't hit anything past 20 yards. That doesn't mean it can't be done by someone that can shoot a snubby. One of the big attactions of the snubby to me over my 9mm Kel Tec is the fact that I am more confident with it at longer ranges. The Kel Tec is 3.5" accurate at 25 yards, but is DA only. At ranges past 25 yards, I can fire the snubby single action which helps. I know, from practice, that if I have to shoot at 50, I can hit with the snubby. I don't foresee ever having to do that in a self defense situation, but it's confidence inspiring to know that you can.

·
Super Moderator
35,021 Posts
I should state that the Rossi revolvers I've owned (a 2" Rossi M88 and a 3" Rossi M68) were quite accurate, just as accurate as my M85. Rossis are pretty amazing for the money. In fact, the 2" M68 Rossi is MORE accurate than the M85, I'm sure because of the added sight radius of the 3" barrel.

·
32,497 Posts
The other good reason for having a snub as a house of defense gun. If the attacker tries a gun grab to use the revolver on you, then he has less leverage. There is not a lot to grab a hold of and hang on to.
Then there are times that having the gun behind the back or in a pocket when answering a door at anytime can be comforting. This has to be done discreetly of course and the right way.

·
Registered
267 Posts
LKNIZ,
I've owned several Rossi revolvers in both 2" & 4" .357. They are hard to beat for the price.
If you can afford it, I'd keep the snubbie for defense and get a longer barrel for target practice. I use my Tracker SS .22 6" when I want cheap practice for my .357 Tracker SS 4". They shoot almost identical for me (except for recoil). Above the .22, I like a 9mm with a 4 or 5" barrel in service size, (although I do shoot the Glock 19 well) with my prefered being the Taurus PT 911 or PT 99. this is do to the 9mm being very accurate and the less expensive than a .38, .40, or .45. If I reloaded I might go with a larger caliber. Just me, though. I'd say shoot what you can afford, that is fun for you, and that you like to shoot. You can't have too many guns IMO.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i'd go with a 4'inch, it's kinda the middle ground between snappy 2inch snub, and the heavier bigger 6+inch .357's

but if you ever plan on carrying it then go with a 2inch snub

·
Registered
103 Posts
NativeTexan, Just curious, were you hitting those patterns with your 2" using all SA?

I ask because I was never going to able to afford to be that good with my 2" snubbies, even SA. So I went with the 4" 97104 and a 6" .357/.38 also. My patterns still aren't as tight as yours, but they are much, much better with a 4" or 6".

·
Super Moderator
35,021 Posts
Yes, those are benched off sand bags single action. Normally, I can keep 'em all inside 6-8" with the snub DA at 25 yards off hand rapid fire.

I compare gun accuracy from a solid rest at 25 yards off the bench and single action if possible. Now, no, I'm not going to be shooting that way in the field. So? I want to know what the GUN is capable of with the load I'm firing in it. I'll work on the combat shooting after I get through accuracy testing the gun/load so that I know the hardware is good to go. When accuracy testing, off hand at 7 yards tells me absolutely nothing when I'm trying to quantify hardware. I see people shoot this way talking about accuracy with the gun. Well, perhaps it works for them, but it don't work for me and I can tell nothing about their firearm with such reports of off hand close range groups. I've even quantified my 1 7/8" NAA mini revolvers at 25 yards. They'll put all their shots into about 7", the little 2" .22 mag Black Widow going more like 3.5" at 25 yards with CCI Maximag. Even these little pip squeaks are shooters. :D

I handload all my ammunition in .38 and .357 and cast my own bullets. It costs me less than 3 dollars a box this way, near as cheap as shooting .22. With 45 years of practice with a handgun, I pretty much know what's up with my guns, know my limits with them. A man has to know his limitations (Clint Eastwood). :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
A well made revolver with a 2" barrel requires a bit more practice and a good grasp of the fundamentals of shooting revolvers. You MUST be consistant in how you hold the gun, your trigger control and sight picture. If you have these things going for you, spend a box or so of ammo practicing with the snubbie. It will make you a better shot all around and you WILL be very surprised how accurately the short barreled guns really are...that 20 feet stuff is nonsense.
Oh, yeah, and EVERY Rossi I have owned was a very good shooter.

mark

·
Registered
103 Posts
So then, are we in general agreement that: "those people" who can't hit anything beyond 20 feet with their gun generally haven't practiced sufficiently, or recently enough, to be accurate beyond that range?

Which, by the way, might also generally be true for any handgun no matter what the barrel length?

Oh, and nativetexan; thanks for the shoutout to the NAA mini-revolver. I love mine and use it for a BUG.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 4in 627 that I sent to Ten-Ring Precision for their action job-(6in tracker .45 acp also). For the price you can't beat them. With the ported barrels and that SMOOTH trigger pull it's not much different from single action. I just need to find some fiber optic sights for them now! I'd read about them and went to their web-site but had never had any custom work done before. At least a 3 month wait. My next one is a Rossi 6in 357. Just need to get on the list and save the bucks.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
.357 magnum + home defense = you get permanent hearing loss if you ever have to use it, run a very high risk of over penetration, flash blind in darness, better train up or second shot follow up is bad, make sure the wife can handle the recoil if she had to use it in your absense, and more. I stick with a good .38 special like the Hornady Critical Defense or Fed Hydra Shok. But that's me being me again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts