Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend just bought this Rossi 38 special. It is a “bodyguard” type revolver, 5 shots, DAO (there is a "slot" where you can see the hammer, like in the S&W 38/49, but you can not cock it).
It came with a big wood grips – now it has rubber Pachmayr.

The box says it is a “model 627”, but in the inside of the crane it says “726” ( I do not know where Rossi's are supossed to have their model written)

I was looking for information about this revolver – model 627 or model 726 - but found nothing. Does somebody know anything about this gun?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The first thing that jumps out at me is that logo on the side plate. Never seen that before. Also, it doesn't say "Made In Brazil" or "Interarms" anywhere on it. The lack of "Interarms" stamp tells me it was made after Taurus acquired them. Another thing that doesn't look right are the wood grips, I've never seen any Rossi grips with a star on them. Your best bet would be to contact Rossi and see if they can tell you anything. I'm guessing Taurus tried to make a Rossi version of their "CIA" revolvers and decided to scrap the idea after a short run.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Additional information

I looked at the grip frame. On the left side you can see “627” , the numbers 1 and 2 or 12, and the number 93.
I think we can now assure this is a model 627.
93 maybe the manufacture year
No idea about the 1-2 or 12.

On the right side you can see the numbers “75” and 7 26. It doesn’t seem to be 726 – it is more like 7 and 26, with a space in between. The “726” stamped in the crane is most probably 7 26 also, but without the space (due to limited...er..space). This maybe a control number/worker code...?

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
You can tell by the "A. ROSSI" on the right side that it's pretty modern, that's computer generated engraving. That logo is odd, looks middle eastern. No "Rossi" logo. The revolver isn't marked like the the Rossi on it's own box. I assume the serial # on the box matches the gun?

My SWAG: an export model for Saudi Arabia. How it got here who knows. Somebody brought it back maybe. Does it have the safety system required in the U.S.?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
It does look like a more modern revolver, and I would follow the advise given and check w/ Rossi. However, I did do some searching and found what looks like your revolver on a Brazilian "Gunbroker" type website. They call it the 696 (REVOLVER ROSSI 694 - CAL 38 - 6 TIROS - 2" - OXIDADO | FALCONARMAS.com.br). Also, there is a 726 listed, but it is stainless steel with a conventional hammer.

By the way, it is one sweet-looking revolver! I am a big fan of the S&W 49, and of course the Taurus 851/651. I suppose it would be redundant for Rossi to produce/import it as Taurus is already doing something similar, but I sure wouldn't mind having one. It would likely be cheaper than the Taurus, and I really like the look of the bluing!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
..........I assume the serial # on the box matches the gun?

My SWAG: an export model for Saudi Arabia. How it got here who knows. Somebody brought it back maybe. Does it have the safety system required in the U.S.?
S/N is the same in box and gun.

I believe it never got "there" - I am in South America, and most probably this Rossi was imported into my country directly from Brasil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It .... looks like your revolver on a Brazilian "Gunbroker" type website. .....

By the way, it is one sweet-looking revolver! I am a big fan of the S&W 49, and of course the Taurus 851/651. I suppose it would be redundant for Rossi to produce/import it as Taurus is already doing something similar, but I sure wouldn't mind having one. It would likely be cheaper than the Taurus, and I really like the look of the bluing!
That revo in the Brazilian site does look alike, but it is not exactly the same - frame above the cylinder seems to be different, maybe because it is 6 shots and not 5. Wood grips, though, are exactly the same. I thought mine were not factory shipped as they do not say "Rossi" anywhere, but now, after seeing the one you posted, I believe they are.

I am too a big fan of the 49 S&W, and like you like this Rossi a lot. And as you noted, the bluing is great, surprisingly so for a cheap (non expensive) revolver.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
S/N is the same in box and gun.

I believe it never got "there" - I am in South America, and most probably this Rossi was imported into my country directly from Brasil.
Ah...didn't know where you were. Taurus from time to time sells models in the U.S. that were never cataloged for the U.S. market, but show up on foreign sites. Like the PT609 I have, the U.S. site never showed it, but one large retail chain here had quite a few of them that they put on sale at a very attractive price. Like any for-profit company, they are in the business to sell what they make. If they get extra inventory of a non-cataloged model, they find a way to sell them off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts