Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never appreciated Rod Stewart's singing or choice of songs.
To me he sounds like two sheets of 80 grits sandpaper being rubbed together.
But he seems to be a nice guy and has kept his nose fairly clean although I don't read the National Enquirer.

But this is cool.
He worked on the pieces for this while he was on the road and it is amazing.
I love model railroads and the nostalgia they create.
My modeling skills suck however. Everything I make ends up being an ashtray.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50403561

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
That is very cool! :cool:

Reactions: Rickenbacher39

·
Registered
18,505 Posts
Boy...:blink:...tough crowd. Rod was pretty decent in his early days with The Jeff Beck Group (early Cactus) and later, The Faces...:unsure:...he only sucks when he relies on his own talent.

·
Registered
18,505 Posts
...................................................................My modeling skills suck however. Everything I make ends up being an ashtray............
:huh:...maybe you should try making an ashtray and see what comes out?

·
Registered
16,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boy...:blink:...tough crowd. Rod was pretty decent in his early days with The Jeff Beck Group (early Cactus) and later, The Faces...:unsure:...he only sucks when he relies on his own talent.
To me he sounded like Carol Channing trying to sing.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Met Rod Stewart MANY years ago and the AA Admirals Club at LAX. Short little dude but quite pleasant. Had about a 45 min conversation with him. At the time he was dating Britt Eklund. Yikee momma!! What a stunningly gorgeous woman!!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I have never appreciated Rod Stewart's singing or choice of songs.
To me he sounds like two sheets of 80 grits sandpaper being rubbed together.
But he seems to be a nice guy and has kept his nose fairly clean although I don't read the National Enquirer.

But this is cool.
He worked on the pieces for this while he was on the road and it is amazing.
I love model railroads and the nostalgia they create.
My modeling skills suck however. Everything I make ends up being an ashtray.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50403561
Funny but you and I are pretty much opposites on all points of this one.

I'm not interested in model railroading, though I find the realism of it impressive.
I'm good at making things, and even designing things, but using that ability to create something like a model railroad seems like a waste of time, talent, and effort. I'd rather build something with a real world practical use.
I like at least some of Rod's music. Not all, but some. I agree that he's not a great singer, but he has an OK voice, and his somewhat limited vocal range means that I can sing along with his songs - despite my even more limited vocal range. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
Funny but you and I are pretty much opposites on all points of this one.

I'm not interested in model railroading, though I find the realism of it impressive.
I'm good at making things, and even designing things, but using that ability to create something like a model railroad seems like a waste of time, talent, and effort. I'd rather build something with a real world practical use.
I like at least some of Rod's music. Not all, but some. I agree that he's not a great singer, but he has an OK voice, and his somewhat limited vocal range means that I can sing along with his songs - despite my even more limited vocal range. :D
My thought is that he does that to keep himself out of the bars. Regarding his talent musically, I think he found his niche and filled it nicely.

Reactions: dogchild

·
Registered
18,505 Posts
Rod's talent really isn't based on his singing so much as it is in his being an entertainer. Apparently, he puts on a good show. Take Kiss, for example...:unsure:...one of the absolute worst vocal bands ever and not terribly talented instrumentally either but with the costumes, flash bombs and flames...:dunno:...who gives a ramblin' rat's rear? RS has gone from rock, to pop and then to contemporary, Sinatra style stuff and his transition to and from each was nearly seamless, including his changes in stage persona. I was never a big fan and really didn't care for his post Faces stuff but I'll give him credit, not many could pull that off at all, let alone as successfully as he did.

Reactions: coopercdrkey

·
Registered
31,695 Posts
I appreciate this posting of Rod Stewart's other talents. I have a strong affinity for model rail roading and Stewart's song Maggie Mae closely mimicked my college days, even the makng a living out of playing pool. I never made a living out of it, but was good enough not to ever get hustled by the folks that did.

My early post college days, I worked 6 months as a construction engineer on pipe lines and then 4 years as a construction engineer for the A.T. & S.F. Ry Co., beginning in Clovis, NM for eight months, then eight months in Los Angeles, then 2 1/2 years in central and Western Az. During this time, I collected a lot of Rail Road Artifacts that would have made any rail roader a great man cave, including 4 Station Posters from the late 40's and early fifties, still new in the original tubes. These were in a store room in Parker AZ.

When I moved back to TX, I built a few train layouts, nothing really great, as I simply didn't have room to do so. The HO scale was probably the ideal size and the two rail system a lot more realistic than the 3 rail system, but still used more space than I had.

I then attempted building an "N" scale layout, but never was able to get good enough track alignment on grades and trestles to make them work properly.

I still have an old three rail Lionel train and track my parents gave my brother and I for Christmas in 1955, and the values or worth of that set just isn't much at all any more as there is just no longer much interest in rail road modeling.

Albuquerque used to have a large rail road modeling club and an impressive and large layout, I don't know if it is still up and going. I always enjoyed seeing the diaramas and layouts rail road modeling groups put together. When I went to Deadwood, S.D. three years ago, I got to see a pretty impressive layout there.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
21,974 Posts
I've watched way too much South Park to think of anything but this when someone mentions Rod Stewart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts