Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just found an ar platform 7.62 by the rock , i want one, anyo ne have experiance with rock river??, tks in advance (i have two hand gun favs 40-45, and then theres 7.62/308)

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I've never owned them but I know they have a reputation for being a premier AR maker, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Same here-the name comes up frequently in AR discussions-seems like there are many supporters of the company and pruducts.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
From what I've heard they also used to make 1911s awhile back and they're 1911s were also prized. Similar to Krebs Custom, Krebs got his name making 1911s but he fell real ill and when he got better found others had taken his spot in the market so he started doing AK's I think you'll be hard pressed to find a bad thing anyone has said about RRA. I wanted one real bad but they are a small maker so they can be harder to find, ended up getting an SR556.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I own a Varmint A4, 20" barrel, from them, chambered in 5.56/.223, their so-called 'Wylde Chamber'. It's a heavy rifle thanks to it's full-length bull barrel, but it has every feature I wanted, and some things I didn't know I wanted. Enlarged trigger guard for those of us with fat fingers, flattop receiver with rail for mounting of your optics, A2 buttstock because I like that one better, free floating handguard, forward assist, dust cover....really...I think there's a kitchen sink in there somewhere.

I've ran almost a full can of 62-gr. M855 5.56 through it at the range, with not one single hiccup, other than when I was trying to make Promag magazines work in it(they work...but not as nicely as the Brownell's magazines I have).

It's also very accurate. I haven't been able to take it to the 100 yard range, but at the 50-yard line, my groupings, with me just f-ing around, fiddling with it and learning how to make it tick, were about the size of a baseball, dead center of the target. I'm sure if I were to be serious with it and focus, the groupings would be very much tighter, but where's the fun in that when you have 4 30-round magazines loaded up and 420 rounds in an ammo can and all day at the range?

Here she is, overshadowing my Mini-14 in 6.8....the 30-round magazines didn't interact well with the bipod, so no, that's not the magazine that's in it. That's the Mini-14 behind it.

My verdict? If you want to splurge, get it. There are far cheaper AR platforms out there, in any caliber under the moon, but if you want something that'll work right and work right out of the box, without 'some assembly required', Rock River's got ya covered.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tks for the info--looking in to it now with lgs

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
What cracks me up is they're based in Illinois. What's with these gun companys in commie states? But anyhow... yeah check one out I'd say you can't go wrong with them plus rock river arms just sounds COOL.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I have a 20" flat-top. It's a remarkable gun with a fantastic trigger, and it appears to be accurate and perfectly reliable.

I got it for an even trade on a Bushmaster Carbon-15 Type 97R with a scope. The C-15 was not an accurate rifle for an AR; the pencil barrel sacrificed resistance to "whip" for weight.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
I have a RRA .223/5.56, 22" floating bull barrel, Coyote upper, NM 2 stage trigger, Leupold 3 x 9. Extremely accurate and reliable. Only problem is is weighs in at 11.5 pounds. I can reach out and touch a groundhog at 300 yards with very little problem. I shoot it off a bipod. Personally, I think that RRA makes one of the best AR platforms on the market. I've shot a number of manufacturers including Bushmaster and Colt, and the RRA just feels better to me. Take this with a grain of salt since I'm no expert. Just my personal experience.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If I didnt buy the Windham Weaponry, my second choice was with Rock River.very nice feeling rifle and highly recommended by one of the LGS.

·
Registered
867 Posts
What cracks me up is they're based in Illinois. What's with these gun companys in commie states? But anyhow... yeah check one out I'd say you can't go wrong with them plus rock river arms just sounds COOL.
It's funny because I was born and raised in Illinois. Moved away from there about 10 years ago. I lived in Southern Illinois, and it seemed like a normal place to live... owned several guns at the time and did a lot of hunting. Guns were a completely normal way of life in that region (not too many big cities... lots of corn fields). It's just the Chicago area that gives Illinois it's bad name. My parents and many others would love to make Chicago it's own state so they would quit screwing things up for everyone else. :mad: Chicago never ceases to amaze me with what they are able to get passed into law, much to the dismay of about 90% of the state in terms of geography. How that many idiots in such a small area can dictate how the entire rest of the state lives is beyond me.

I have two LEO buddies in Illinois (one state trooper and one local) that just bought RRA Operator Series rifles in the last year. One bought it for patrol because his department didn't issue an AR and he had several instances where he felt very out-gunned. The other one bought it for personal use, even though he has an AR provided by the department for use on duty. Both could not be more satisfied with their purchase. If they were a bit cheaper, I would buy one for sure. I haven't shot either of their RRA ARs, but I have "fondled" one. It seems like a very well-built rifle.

·
Registered
867 Posts
By the way, RRA is also going to be producing a 1911 again very soon. They have one in the works and had a press release on their website a little while back. It sounds like it's going to be pretty nice... probably a nice price tag too, but nice nonetheless.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
It's funny because I was born and raised in Illinois. Moved away from there about 10 years ago. I lived in Southern Illinois, and it seemed like a normal place to live... owned several guns at the time and did a lot of hunting. Guns were a completely normal way of life in that region (not too many big cities... lots of corn fields). It's just the Chicago area that gives Illinois it's bad name. My parents and many others would love to make Chicago it's own state so they would quit screwing things up for everyone else. :mad: Chicago never ceases to amaze me with what they are able to get passed into law, much to the dismay of about 90% of the state in terms of geography. How that many idiots in such a small area can dictate how the entire rest of the state lives is beyond me.

I know that all to well I lived in south chicago for 20 years, and people wonder why I live in ohio now. But I know all to well how state politics go, there's Illinois then north of I80, that said if I were RRA or Springfield Armory I'd still tell the state to shove it and move to a state that's more free, regardless of where the laws come from. Chicago is the real capital of Illinois, state politics and laws come down as much from what "da mare" of Chicago wants as much as the rest of the state government. I turned my back on that state several years ago when I realized I liked my freedom to much, gave that state a big "number 1" as I left and never went back... me and my tax dollars... but I still have family there, have relatives around the Harrisburg area actually so I know southern Illinois very well. Shame that states so screwed up because southern Illinois is very pretty.

Reactions: PCS01

·
Registered
867 Posts
I hate the heat and humidity of Southern Illinois, but I agree that the state, as a whole, is a nice place to live/visit... just not armed. My two favorite places to deer hunt are in the Shawnee National Forest and in Central Illinois along the Illinois River. Huge deer and very pretty country.

·
Registered
570 Posts
i just found an ar platform 7.62 by the rock , i want one, anyo ne have experiance with rock river??, tks in advance (i have two hand gun favs 40-45, and then theres 7.62/308)
Is it a 7.62X39 or 7.62X51 {.308}

If its used you should check other parts on the rifle besides just the lower to make sure its all Rock River. There are a lot of kit guns floating around that just use Rock River lowers.

Rock River makes great firearms no worries their. If its a 7.62X39 magazines can be a issue.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lar47 is the model, its ordered 60-90 days at best 7.62-39 cal

·
Registered
322 Posts
good things come to those who wait, and trust me, you got a good thing coming. Really can't say enough good things about my Varmint A4. That being said, Going through this thread makes me want to get a 7.62x39 upper for mine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts