Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
40,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting one of these for sometime, and finally located one yesterday in Lubbock, Tx.
Handled one before, but never shot one. I took the chance and bought it.

Wife and I went straight to my shooting spot in spite of the wind and I am impressed. Only shot 60 rounds, as the wind was bothersome, but you can see from my target, that no windage adjustment is necessary. I might be shooting it a bit low, but I can compensate for that. You can see where I focused on four areas of the target. It was placed at fifteen yards.

Pistol came out of the box heavily oiled, so a wipe down and check to make sure there was no obstruction in the barrel we were off. Zero malfunctions. The gun is perfectly tight with close tolerances and quite easy and pleasant to shoot.
It came with one eight round mag. I have two Chip McCormick Shooting Star eight rounders as well as my PT1911 mags. I can use them all in the Rock. Funny thing is, the Taurus won't take the mag that came with the new pistol.
I look forward to a less windy day when I can shoot some more.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,245 Posts
Congratulations on the new classic pistol!

·
Administrator
40,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention, the pistol came with an extra set of grips. Black checkered rubber with the Rock Island medallion molded into the middle. Not sure I want an all black pistol. For now, I prefer the smooth wood grips that were on it when I bought it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have one exactly like that in 9 mm , it's a tack driver and I like the original looks
I liked mine so much I had to also get one in 10 mm that I am currently pimping out

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Very very Nice!!! :love: Congratulations on your new RIA M1911A1 and may it serve you well! :)

I hear very good things about the RIA M1911's and my Charles Daly EFS M1911A1 .45 is very similar, save for it's front slide serrations which I don't use.
Also, I have the Chip McCormick Shooting Star eight round Magazines and have no complaints with them.

Reactions: Smokewagon

·
Registered
24,853 Posts
Congrats on your new slide gun.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I got one just like RIA are make some nice 1911 pistols,I also have the 10mm.Congrats on yours.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Good things come to those who wait.
Congrats on your new pistol.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nice gun and you can't go wrong with that design. When I was in the market for a cheap 1911 I had narrowed it down to one of the Philippine varieties, but then when I finally went to purchase everything was sold out and I ended up with a Turkish Tisas instead. Had similar looking grips on it that I couldn't stand. I ordered some cheap walnut diamond checked grips with a medium brown stain off of ebay. Made it look and feel 10x better in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
37,245 Posts
Nice gun and you can't go wrong with that design. When I was in the market for a cheap 1911 I had narrowed it down to one of the Philippine varieties, but then when I finally went to purchase everything was sold out and I ended up with a Turkish Tisas instead. Had similar looking grips on it that I couldn't stand. I ordered some cheap walnut diamond checked grips with a medium brown stain off of ebay. Made it look and feel 10x better in my opinion.
I put the Pachmyr American Legend on my PT1911 initially, probably because I was drawn to wood for such a classic pistol and then replaced those with checkered wood stocks. It speaks to the heritage of the design.

·
22,975 Posts
What a classic! Congratulations! Rock Island makes outstanding handguns.

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts
Ohhh, THAT's nice! I want one. I'm from Rock Island.......Texas. :D

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
I forgot to mention, the pistol came with an extra set of grips. Black checkered rubber with the Rock Island medallion molded into the middle. Not sure I want an all black pistol.
AB1911LM!
all black 1911 Lives matter!
64803986.jpg

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
good weapons from my experience, I have a 45 acp, A commander in 45 acp, a 10 MM and a wonderful Citadel in 38 Super.

·
Administrator
40,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I put the black rubber grips on the pistol to see if I might like them. I'll have to leave them on it for awhile. I do like the checkering and feel of them. Maybe some darker wood with the same checkering will be more to my liking.
IMG_0442.jpg

1 - 20 of 37 Posts