Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought and sold several 1911's in the last few years even to the point of not having any in my collection. Having a good friend that is a gunshow dealer is a mixed blessing. So I wanted to land on 2 1911's to keep. But my budget is carefully constrained this year ( no more credit card buys - reviews and sells ). So this year I actually have to have the money BEFORE I buy..Oh woe is me..;)

To that end I decided to pull the trigger on 2 higher end RIA 1911's. The first of the two is this RIA 9mm M1911 A1 FS Tactical 2:
P1030365BB.jpg

It's chambered in 9mm with a 5” button rifled barrel supported by a full length guide rod. rear snag free 2 dot fully adjustable sight, a high visibility fiber optic front sight, skeletonized hammer and trigger with adjustable over travel stop and ambidextrous safety, beveled mag well, G10 grips, and a 5lb trigger pull. There is vertical texturing on the front strap and an aggressively textured main spring housing. Memory bump grip safety and an extended beaver tail. This 1911 is 8.75" long, 1.3" wide, and 5.5" in height. I've adjusted the trigger over travel in as far as is feasible, so there is a 1/16" travel to a clean crisp 5lb break. My weight comes in at 42.1 oz's with empty mag and 46.7 oz's with 10+1 124grn Speer Gold Dots.
P1030354BB.jpg

The RIA only came with one magazine - so I ordered in 2 additional Mec-Gar magazines. There are no tool marks in the slide channels or frame channels. Also the pistol is tight - no rattling, perfect bushing fit to the barrel, and the slide runs like butter. The slide stop/release does its job handily, and the mag release is easy to reach ( don't have to break your grip ). The magazines fly out with authority. Here is the requisite glamour shot:
P1030355BB.jpg

One of the neat features of 9mm 1911's is the lack of felt recoil and accuracy potential. I have run several types of ball ammo and hollow points and am up to about 250 error free rounds. The accuracy is....incredible. The target below was set at 20 yards and once I got my bearings every round went in the bullseye. I had blown out the left 70% of the bullseye, made one click adj to the rear sight to move the POI to the right a bit. Then proceeded to carve out the right side of the bullseye. What an amazing pistol for a NIB OTD price of $525.
P1030346bb.jpg

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I've bee drooling over their 10mm HC for quite some time...that one there looks very nice as well, Congrats! (you dog :eek:)

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
24,899 Posts
Congrats on your new slide guns.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Great review. We have two RIA 1911s. Great 1911s for the money. I've thinking about getting one in 9mm.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Congrats. Great review!;)

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Very nice. I wouldn't mind owning a 9mm 1911. I've had .45s. 9x19 is cheaper to pay with and I don't mess with momentum games like pins or pepper poppers anymore. If I did, I still have a couple of .45s, just not 1911s.

·
Registered
969 Posts
It's been many years since I was tempted by a 1911 in 9mm. That was a Combat Commander. I wouldn't mind having a 1911 9mm today, and I'd feed it the high velocity 147 gr. JHP loads I make at around 1125 FPS. One great potential of 9mm 1911s is getting the longer chambers that won't restrict OACL, and 1.142"/29mm is typically what I use. 147 gr. Gold Dots and XTPs are great choices. I'm really impressed with the 147 gr. HSTs, they're just not commonly available.

Guys that load and compete in 9mm Major use even longer OACLs, but mostly with 124 gr. bullets.;)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have the same gun except it is the Tactical 1 (now called the Rock). It is indeed very accurate and I have shot around 1,000 rounds through it with no issues of any kind. I paid just under $500 out the door. It is my favorite gun to shoot with the gentle recoil and good accuracy.

·
Registered
36,928 Posts
It's been many years since I was tempted by a 1911 in 9mm. That was a Combat Commander. I wouldn't mind having a 1911 9mm today, and I'd feed it the high velocity 147 gr. JHP loads I make at around 1125 FPS. One great potential of 9mm 1911s is getting the longer chambers that won't restrict OACL, and 1.142"/29mm is typically what I use. 147 gr. Gold Dots and XTPs are great choices. I'm really impressed with the 147 gr. HSTs, they're just not commonly available.

Guys that load and compete in 9mm Major use even longer OACLs, but mostly with 124 gr. bullets.;)
chambers that accomidate longer boolletts are nice but honestly a lot of my semi autoes run out of magazine room way before chamber room.
this is especially true with stacked mags, they may fit in the mags but don't feed up the mag worth a flip, I mention this IF anyone is playing with OAL with self defense loads--make sure to load an entire mag full and test it as many times they bind as they try to feed up the mag.
this is where the simple plunk test may not be your best friend!

·
Registered
969 Posts
chambers that accomidate longer boolletts are nice but honestly a lot of my semi autoes run out of magazine room way before chamber room.
this is especially true with stacked mags, they may fit in the mags but don't feed up the mag worth a flip, I mention this IF anyone is playing with OAL with self defense loads--make sure to load an entire mag full and test it as many times they bind as they try to feed up the mag.
this is where the simple plunk test may not be your best friend!
Yeah, you definitely need to make sure the rounds fit in the mag and function. Since I avoid pistols with short throats I've rarely has any problems. In fact, the last pistol I owned where the mags needed a load that was shorter than what the throat allowed was a PT92 back in 2008. Not much of a problem because loads could still be close to 1.160" with the various JHPs I load where with 124s I rarely load longer than 1.142"/29mm. With 147 gr. JHPs, I have loaded them longer than that but it's really not necessary.

But still, there are no guarantees that a 9mm pistol will feed any one particular length. After finding the Max Possible OACL, and testing the length in the mags, your pistol still needs to like any particular length. I covered this in my last article at the Western blog.

Particularly with any handload you make for defense/carry, I always function test that load; typically when no one else is at the range 'cause I let 'em rip as fast as I can while still getting good COM hits.;)

silverstring, that was some nice shooting at 20 yards.;)

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I too I depleted my 1911' to none .. I will not buy a gun unless I sell a gun .. Gun money for guns ..,

That is really nice pistol!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts