Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my 1st and new Citadel 1911 fs9mm tactical for a month now and wana ask anyone with a rockisland/citadel fs 1911 in 45/9mm if your gun shoots hollowpoint ammo consistantly and if so what brand ammo. Thanks ahead of time. PS THE CITADEL FAR EXEEDED MY EXPECTATIONS RE; FIT & FINISH AND ACCURACY IM VERY HAPPY WITH IT.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
+ 1 with Qwiks Draw and congrat's on the new shooter

·
Registered
37,079 Posts
yep, I got a rock island 1911 Tactical 1 -45 acp.
its north of likely 700 -800 rounds now.
the gun has fed anything in 45 acp that i have put in it so far.
I know that i have fired the federal classic 185 gr HP as thats what I test all my new guns on in 9MM and 45 acp, it also eats Speer gold dots(reloads) Hornady XTP(reloads), and Nozler JHP (reloads).
Now the tactical may have a bit more finish in it than the G I model as thats a pretty stock G I 1911, and Rock island does state in their manual that the pistols are designed to operate on FMJ, so they likely do have some issues with them and HP.
Of course this don't mean diddly as to how your gun will handle them.
I also have a Rock island tactical II in 10 MM, but its a ramped barrel so totally different animal but so far it works as advertised too!

·
Registered
74 Posts
+2 with Qwicks!

·
Registered
24,949 Posts
Got snaps?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Ok first things first Armscor who makes these doesn't guarantee them to shoot anything but round ball. Now I have the compact 1911 CS which was ammo picky. I called Armscor Precision in Nevada and talked to Arnel who is their head gun smith. I explained this was a carry gun so he sent me a slip to pick it up. I got it back 5 business days later completely reworked internally including a polished feed ramp. I also bought some Novak Trijicon night sights and he installed them for $10 as well as sighted it and fitted the sights to match the top slide perfectly. Now all this was done under warranty and is not covered under their life time warranty. Now he told me it would fire +P also which it was clearly stated it wouldn't in the manual. Well I've put over 5000 rounds through it to date and have yet to find any ammo that would feed and shoot without a hitch. So I suggest you contact them as ask about a tune up if you are having problems shooting some ammo.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
My RIA shoots pretty much anything, but it's not a fan of anything under 200 gr.. I usually run 230 gr. Winchester PDX1's without a problem as my carry ammo for that one in particular. Remington 230 gr. hollow points also work just fine for me too, and the quantity for the price tends to be much better than most for a no frills hollow point round.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If i understand you corectly mr joecil by simply explaining to armscor c.s that your gun wasnt cycling hp ammo they replaced your barrel with a feedramped barrel at no charge to you, if not what was the bill amount on a f.r barrel?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got my RIA full size GI with ramped and polished barrel and it has fed everything from WIN PDX to Federal HP and LSWC and i also reload with Xtreme hollow points which feed fine.

·
Administrator
18,422 Posts
My .45 Charles Daly Elite Field Service, which is basicly an early Citadel Tactical, feeds everything. Hollowpoints, Semi-Wadcutters, and Flat Points, in any Bullet Weight. I've not done any Feed-Ramp work or customizing to it, other than change the Grips, unlike other 1911's I've had.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats an issue for my 1911 as my model did not come with a feed ramped barrel. Although Some models do.

·
Registered
37,079 Posts
If i understand you corectly mr joecil by simply explaining to armscor c.s that your gun wasnt cycling hp ammo they replaced your barrel with a feedramped barrel at no charge to you, if not what was the bill amount on a f.r barrel?
I believe that Joecil states/means that RIA "POLISHED" the feed ramp on his compact size 1911, to install a ramped barrel in a none ramped frame should take a bit of machine work, actually would be easier/simpler to replace the frame.
Rock island is reported to have a very good customer service, i have not had need of it myself.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
No Sterling I had never tried HP ammo in it but once I put about 200 rounds through it I knew it would become my carry gun if it could be made to shoot the way I wanted. I have no idea why the barrel was change but do understand the slighter stiffer springs and extractor change. So I assume the barrel was changed to handle the +P or they found a flaw in it but just a guess on my part as I really don't know and they didn't explain. The total bill amount was $10 for installing the sights. I paid for the sights from Brownells and had them delivered to them. They do stand behind their warranty though including the sights they installed.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I will be shooting 9 mm hornby critical defence in my new compact 1911 citedell the pack shipped in said tested and inspected by armscorp frin inside the citedell box let you know this is going to be my ccw

jhp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts