Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a 1911 pistole and Found the Rock Ilands for under 400 is this a nice price and are they worth it or should Isave up to buy a Tourus 1911 those are about 500 any coments would be a great help

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had a few of them. They are a good value but they are a basic GI model 1911A1. The Taurus has a lot of bells and whistles already installed.
RIA also has a tactical model that has a lot of the same features that Taurus has they run about $440 or so.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I don't know what the warranty is like with the RIA but with the PT1911 it's for a lifetime, as are all Taurus firearms.

Just speaking from a personal perspective, I'd save up the extra $100 for the Taurus. I'm quite pleased with the one I own and wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again if I were buying another 1911.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Considering its made in the Philippines, it really isn't bad. Lot of people buy it because they think they are getting an American made firearm and others buy it because it say "Rock Island Arsenal" thinking it really came from the legnedary Rock Island Arsenal which of course it only shares the purchased logo/name.

That being said... Atleast the ones I fired and worked on where nice pistols and are like Whirlwind06 said they are normally basic GI model 1911's. I am biased towards the PT1911 (because I feel it really is better), but you could do alot worse. Buy it if you like it :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
New... $450.00 on up (average price seems to be around $550.00)

Used...$400.00 on up (if you can find one used)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I paid $510.00 for mine + tax which isn't bad. I've seen them elsewhere for sometimes a little more, sometimes quite a bit more. I've also seen them under $500 but that's infrequent. Here is one NIB on gunbroker.com starting at $475.00

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=81457134

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I bought mine when they first hit the market for $425.00 and the Dealer threw in 2 extra Wilson mags and 100rds of ammo. But I buy alot of toys from them so that helps I am sure...

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Rock Island for the money is a good buy if you want to customize it yourself or like the classic GI. Taurus however has all the good stuff put in. You can get the basic RIA .45 for $319 new up here with tax that would be under $400 which is even cheaper than the SA GI. I've handled both and woudl recomend either it just depends on what you what to do with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the SA GI with a bull barrel (4.25"). I'd recommend it to anyone, its basic and does all you want it to.. I don't have any experience with a PT1911, but everything I hear is good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Shot a friend of mine's and it shot good. The only thing I got used to was the ambi safety. The Mags had to be forced to click but fed good. He is doing a little work on it as he can, good thing a lot of parts are out there. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have one and it's a nice pistol. Came zeroed for 50 yards. Very accurate. All 1911A1 parts interchange with it that are standard parts. I got the duracoated model.
Pete

·
Registered
54 Posts
A fine entry level 1911 for those on a budget (like me)-- It takes pretty much anything your standard 1911 will--

I have been eyeing a RIA 1911 in .38 Super for a long time-- maybe in April when my bonus comes in---

I love "expensive" guns, but RIA is more my style price wise--

For instance-- My current lineup of lead throwers is as follows---

XD45 Service (about $500 new), Super Comanche ($137 new), RG10 ($25 used), JA22 ($90 new), J22 (free--used), Raven MP25 ($30 used), Marlin 60 (have had it for around 25 years), HP 995B ($150 new), M44 ($120 used), 2-Type 53 (M44 Chinese clones--$35 each)...

So $400 is on the uppr end of what I go for-- Well until I go pick up my 58HCSS and my wife's Pink MilPro monday though...

:)

SO after rambling, RIAs are great values..IMHO

·
Registered
279 Posts
Had my RIA for approx 4 years and have put around 2,500 rounds thru it with no problems ... Only thing I have done is shoot it and clean it...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've seen'em at the gun show here for about $375 NIB.
I have no experience with them, but have heard pretty good stuff...

I know that the infamous STI International uses the lowers (made by the same company in the Phillipeans) for their budget pistol. I guess if it's good enough for STI, it's pretty good...

I was thinking of getting one so I would have a designated lower for my Mech Tech CCU (Carbine Conversion Unit).

All my current 1911's are Kimber. I've had Springfields too, and have never tried a Taurus 1911...

God Bless,
Doc S

·
Registered
61 Posts
It will be my next one...

God Bless,
Doc S

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just bought a ria tactical model last week. It has about the same features as the taurus. I took it to the range and new immediatly it was a winner. Very accurate nice trigger pull and functioned flawlwessly. I got it for 420 at the gun show. I would highly recommend them. Their customer service is fantastic from what I have seen. Best of all no straight eight sights. I really do not like them.
Harry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts