Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else feel the way i do? Now i'm all for supporting a local business, including my LGS. There are times though when you have to purchase a firearm online. I just feel like i'm getting ripped off with the extra fees that they charge (ffl) and nics. I know thay are providing a service and should make something out of the deal but around here that could be up to 50-60 dollars. With the ffl all they have to do is send a fax. 25-40 bucks for a fax?! With the nics it's a toll free phone call, 10-20 bucks. For a 5 minute phone call call?! Just the way i see it is all. Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I only paid FFL fees on one gun, since I've joined Bud's gun range all guns sold and shipped to them are free of all FFL charges. The standard rate here is $35 otherwise. I think it is to cover the background check but not really sure.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
MadMan13 said:
I just feel like i'm getting ripped off with the extra fees that they charge (ffl) and nics. I know thay are providing a service and should make something out of the deal but around here that could be up to 50-60 dollars. With the ffl all they have to do is send a fax. 25-40 bucks for a fax?! With the nics it's a toll free phone call, 10-20 bucks. For a 5 minute phone call call?! Just the way i see it is all. Thanks for letting me vent.
Try doing the transfer through a Pawn Shop, most are FFLs and will usually do it for a lot less than a local Gun Dealer who may feel He is losing out on a sale and will try to get His mark-up through exorbitant fees.
Most of the Pawn Shops in My area will do transfers for a straight $20 or $25 fee.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Here in in NE Ohio I use Burtzland Outfitters for $15! I have even hear of $10 FFL's, second hand.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Plus 1 on the local pawn shop. I pay the guy $20.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
I have two shops that charge $25 and $29

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
gun shops are usually horrible places to get transfers.. like others said try a place that does'nt have firearms as their primary business, pawn shops.. or there are some FFL's that do transfers nearly exclusively.. they are usually a lot cheaper.

there is a pawn shop 2 miles from my house i've used twice 20 bucks + tax
i can get it for 10 if i travel about 20 miles.

but the gun shops will charge you 35,45, even 50+ dollars.. which is just nuts.

i think 20 is a fair price.. any thing over 25 i think is a rip off.

as far as supporting my LGS.. im sorry but if they can't compete on price then.. well thats business.

·
Administrator
39,384 Posts
I haven't seen any shops that charge for a NICS check, which isn't needed for CHL holders in Texas anyway. There is a shop nearby that isn't strictly into firearms that was doing transfers fof 15 bucks a while back though. I think $20 and $25 dollars is pretty average.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Ya, you were ripped off! But don't blame the gun shop trying to make a buck, they are following the law and will charge what the market will bear.

Thank the POS politicians, past and present who write and vote yes on laws that infringe on our freedom. Remember that when you vote.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
agreed, no shop selling you weapon should be charging you for a NIC's check.. it does'nt cost them anything.

transfers are a different matter.. they're just filling out paper work.. they did'nt make anything on the gun cause they did'nt sell it to you.. so it's fair they get a few bucks for their time, generally speaking you did'nt pay tax on the gun so consider it a tax... although actually you're suppose to pay the tax on the item but no one does and it's not enforced on small ticket items.

but ya i would never buy a gun from a shop that tried to charge me to do the paperwork for a gun im buying from them.. that is just insulting.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
One of our LG's charges $50 , you can have Gander do it for $25 not sure what the pawn shop charges.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I've never bought a gun online, and was wondering, do the online sellers (like Bud's) charge state sales tax on the handgun?

Bud's has free shipping. What other fees or charges are tacked on to an online purchase?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I don't believe online sellers collect sales tax unless they are located in the same State You are in.

·
Registered
161 Posts
if you have a C&R can you do the paperwork yourself?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a local shop that does free transfers. I always end up buying a box or two of ammo with the $25 instead.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
jspdrcrmach5 said:
I don't believe online sellers collect sales tax unless they are located in the same State You are in.
thats correct, however it's not a tax free item.. you're suppose to pay the tax your self rather then the shop collecting it from you at the time of sell (same state)

the thing is it's not really enforced and almost no one actually pays the tax so essentially this becomes tax free item... although it's by practice not by design.

this applies to all out of state purchase not just guns.

chunk351 said:
if you have a C&R can you do the paperwork yourself?
you can have guns sent directly to your house if you have a C&R.. however it only applies to C&R guns, guns not classified as C&R you have to go though a regular FFL.

·
Registered
161 Posts
MadMan13 said:
Please excuse my ignorance. What is a c&r?
Curios & Replicas

according to what I've researched its a special type of FFL for collectors that enables you to buy stuff at discount (ammo / mags / parts etc) and buy old guns really cheaply and have them sent to you

1 - 20 of 27 Posts