Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a shorter video on Facebook with Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" playing, but couldn't find it on You Tube.

Reactions: TonyLuz and jonboy

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
My Coonan .357 also does that. As a matter of fact, I have a Coonan t-shirt (found on their website) that shows the ring of fire on the back. I first became aware of it when someone online mentioned the Coonan ring of fire videos on YouTube.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Pretty cool. I have seen it from my Taurus Model 66 shooting Factory American Eagle .357 ammo.

Reactions: JimmyA and btleslie

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Yep, that has lit the fire for a .50 in my future! I think I have seen a ring once with my 44SS8, I need to shoot it after sundown and see.;)

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I'd love to see it with super high speed film to understand how it is formed. I bet it is not coming around the bullet - but what in the heck creates the ring?!

Seen plenty of fireballs. That's a new one on me!!! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
I'd love to see it with super high speed film to understand how it is formed. I bet it is not coming around the bullet - but what in the heck creates the ring?!

Seen plenty of fireballs. That's a new one on me!!! :eek:
I always thought it was a result of the vapor trail from faster bullets, vapor trail forces the flame around the path of the bullet forming the ring. Would be interesting to find out exactly what causes it.

Reactions: mingaa and btleslie

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
It's like a smoke ring but it's flame. The flame is created at release of the powder load and travels down the bore and then out into the air.
I've seen it from the .357 magnum but it happens way fast.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I would postulate that the bullet creates a temporary vacuum in it's wake that is filled with the already expanded gases that created its propulsion so the remainder of the flammable gases and unburned powder ignites when it reaches the air in the atmosphere out side of that "trailing" effect.

·
Registered
36,082 Posts
I would postulate that the bullet creates a temporary vacuum in it's wake that is filled with the already expanded gases that created its propulsion so the remainder of the flammable gases and unburned powder ignites when it reaches the air in the atmosphere out side of that "trailing" effect.
IF thats anything like "MAGIC" then I agree, that was my guess anyway!
"Black Magic"

·
22,027 Posts
The 60kHz video is awesome. Wow.

There are actually two flame rings in the first shot in that video. The first is almost immediate, and the second is almost at the end of the (video) shot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts