Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Ring of Fire is gone

2K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  NativeTexan 
SUPER DEAL! I mean, if you want Zamak, there's always Hi Point. :rofl:

Reactions: Car_Doc
It's some kind of bug with Sigs, (happens to me everytime I change/modify mine too) you just gotta go back to your settings and click save until it sticks.

Or the vast majority of .22 caliber firearms these days... Henry Repeating Arms, Heritage Arms, Marlin, Walther, and many other supposedly quality brands use ZAMAK in the construction of their .22s unbeknownst to the average consumer. That's why it's so important to be vigilant and thoroughly research each firearm prior to purchase, otherwise you might end up spending your hard-earned money on a firearm made with inferior components and go the rest of your life shooting that firearm without ever knowing it.
In fact, many companies really Trojan Horse it on ya by only using it on components which many take for granted (butt-plates, controls, pins/screws, etc) which really ought to be constructed from steel, but the companies of today are far too concerned with keeping the costs low for the sake of profit, so they go compromising by using inferior components just because they've become an industry standard. Sad really, but thankfully not every firearms manufacturer has succumbed to this atrocious cost-saving measure and offers firearms which are built from higher quality components for a couple hundred dollars more, so you can take that 100% blued steel beauty to the range and plink all day with the pride and confidence that comes with owning the real deal while the guy besides you plinks away with his ZAMAK wonder, completely ignorant that it's made from inferior metal.
Well, it's one reason I got a Ruger SR22 rather than a Walther P22. The slide on the Walther is Zamak. AND, from what I've seen, the Wather is more expensive. :rolleyes: That gun isn't actually a Walther, though, made by Umerex, famous for cheap air guns.

Way to go, PT99AF; that's a heck of a step up!

Yes, it's so inferior while he shoots it for the rest of his life without knowing it.... That's some blued-steel-grade irony in that post right there.
Assuming the zamak slide don't crack. :rofl:

Yep, that was the joke.

My post was intended to be a sarcastic satire of the folks who are so absurdly against the use of ZAMAK that even in small caliber firearms which scarcely need strong metals to withstand the limited chamber pressure/heat generated by .22LR, especially when ZAMAK is only used on low stress compone
My post was intended to be a sarcastic satire of the folks who are so absurdly against the use of ZAMAK that even in small caliber firearms which nts, that they are willing to pay hundreds of dollars more for an all steel firearm.

I've stated multiple times before on this very forum that ZAMAK is not the same as the pot metal used in the old Ring of Fire/Saturday Night Specials of old, but rather an industry standard alloy used in a variety of applications, including small caliber firearms by trusted manufacturers who obviously wouldn't risk being sued into bankrupcy by using inferior, structurally unsound materials, and that cases of slide fractures on the Walther P22 is a legacy issue which has long since been corrected, and only happened under circumstances which would have bulged a steel slide or cracked an aluminum slide just the same, namely catastrophic ammo failure such as cartridge blowouts.
Tell that to my Phoenix Arms HP22 or my old Erma LA22. The slide cracked within 3 or 4 range trips on that PA, then it pounded the frame and slide on recoil such that it stopped working. I finally figured THAT out and took a dremel to it and increased the clearance and got it working again. Instead of trying t FIX the problem, PA started printing (use only standard velocity .22) in their literature. :rolleyes: THIS is how they fix a problem.

The toggle on that Erma finally cracked and broke. I found another one, but it won't function with standard pressure, is made for HV stuff.

The PA has a recoil spring that wouldn't function in a ball point pen, another of its problems.

No, I got tired of Zamak JUNK and just won't touch it, now. You spend your money how you see fit. I ended up with a Ruger SR22, 360 bucks at the time, but you know, I'm retired on a fixed income and it still didn't keep me from my cataract surgery. I've always looked for the value guns, but Zamak ain't value. Ruger, Taurus, that's value.

Suffice to say, I think the OP done good! :rofl:

Reactions: PT99AF
Using too little of any material will result in failure, you bought two notoriously cheap pistols which are known to fail, the firearms I'm referring to are manufactured by brands which have a much better reputation and cost quite a bit more as well.

I'm sure you know that there are plenty of brands out there who make cheap, low quality, unreliable firearms out of steel as well, yet you wouldn't judge the tensile strength/durability of steel based on them, would you?
The zamak guns that have a reputation for reliability weigh as much as a rifle. If that suits you, fine, but not me, I'm out. There's a reason the Hi Point has that gawd awful huge, fugly slide. It actually NEEDS the weight, being a blow back. John Browning's locked breech is the way I roll, thanks. I prefer a portable belt gun, let alone pocket piece. Properly designed, even polymer beats zamak.

Reactions: PT99AF
I'm not talking about Hi-Points or any other ZAMAK firearms chambered in self-defense cartridges either, I'm talking about .22 caliber rifles and handguns made by reputable manufacturers.

ZAMAK works just fine for .22 caliber arms, which can easily be varified by the fact that reputable companies have been building rifles/pistols chambered in .22LR for over a decade now without getting sued into oblivion like the old Ring of Fire companies were, and the only well documented cases in which they failed were in the original Walther P22 (which has since been replaced by the P22Q which has a thicker slide) and even then most cases of slide failure were the result of ammo blowouts which would have damaged a steel or aluminum slide as well.

That being said, this argument is going nowhere fast and only serves to derail the thread, so lets just agree to disagree and end it here. I respect your opinion on the matter and if you feel more comfortable with .22 caliber firearms made of steel or aluminum then that's your prerogative.
I have no experience, nor do I really want any with Henry. Now, it's not the rifles, but I just ain't that in to lever guns. I have one, the Rossi, that's enough. If I were to buy a Henry, they offer all steel options. :D But, they're pricey. As for .22 rifles, I have a few, Remington M597 magnum, Ruger 10/22, Remington M512X (my 9th birthday present), and by shooting my light 105 grain .38 load in my 92, I basically can mimic .22LR in a reloadable round. :D There are LOTS of options for .22 rifles.

Yeah, I disagree on zamak, but everyone knows that. :rofl: Ain't like I don't see a use for zamak, just not in guns. Perhaps decoy weights, great use for it, saves the lead for bullets. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.