Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out shooting my PT1911 and noticed the right side of the safety was sticking out about an 1/8", I pulled it out and noticed a small piece had broken off by the slot. I sent the broken piece back to Taurus and requested a new one but I like it better with just the left side like my old Colt Series 70. Most retention straps don't fit over the Ambi safety and I have never disengaged it unless I was practicing left handed shooting. It seems to work fine with just the left side. It has not walked out a bit in over 500 rounds and functions perfectly. Is there anything unsafe about using it with just the left side installed?
Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
It may work just fine, with no problems, but keep in mind that where the two halves of the safety were "locked"
together, when in place, holds in the grip safety and acts as it's pivot. By removing the right side safety, the grip
safety is basically being held in by half of a pin, which possibly could cause it to get a bit out of whack.
You can pick up a single sided safety (usually around $20-30) and install it yourself or, if you are uncomfortable doing
any fitting that may be required, you can usually find a 1911 smith who can install it for you without breaking the bank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts