Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find some in Walmart. :rolleyes:

And then I foolishly placed it next to my carry rounds. They've never looked so . . . . weak :eek:

240grn 44mag Fed/AE HSP ~ 124grn 9mm HST JHP ~ 90grn 380acp Gold Dot JHP

20150222_002858.jpg

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
.44 Magnum for the win! Just loaded up 200 240 grain hard cast .44 Mags for tomorrow. Always a good day shooting the .44 Magnum. In my opinion on the .44 is the mist fun caliber to shoot.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
380acp from my TCP ~ 150 ft-lb muzzle energy, $0.35/round

44mag from my SBH ~ 1400ft-lb muzzle energy, $0.54/round

Less than twice the cost for almost 10x the energy. Sounds like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Ever notice when you squeeze off a round from the .44 how people at the range all look down to see what went off?
And that beautiful flame!!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Gotta love the flame throwers! My Coonan .357 does a great job at that. Whenever I shoot at an indoor range people always ask, "what the hell was that".

·
Registered
36,283 Posts
380acp from my TCP ~ 150 ft-lb muzzle energy, $0.35/round
44mag from my SBH ~ 1400ft-lb muzzle energy, $0.54/round
Less than twice the cost for almost 10x the energy. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Yea! try sticking that Super Blackhawk in your front pocket though!
Thats why they make both phillips head and flat head screw drivers every tool has a purpose.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ever notice when you squeeze off a round from the .44 how people at the range all look down to see what went off?
I've yet to notice, haven't been able to find any ammo since I got the SBH until now.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I don't worry about having enough 44 mag. ammo, I roll my own. I use a Nosler 300gr HP for my hunting loads and a 240gr. lead truncated cone bullet for target shooting and I load these so I get the same reaction of the gun as with the 300gr. I always shoot at least 100 rounds during a range trip and sometimes I will send 200 down range. I can't wait until I can get a S&W 460VXR or a S&W 500. When I pull my 44SS8 out at the range, it gets a lot of attention and more when it goes off.:D

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
Yea! try sticking that Super Blackhawk in your front pocket though!
Thats why they make both phillips head and flat head screw drivers every tool has a purpose.
Oh, I dunno...I don't have any problem sticking my Super Blackhawk in my front pocket...ya jus' gotta have the right pocket for the tool...

20140531_081311.jpg

And the OP is right, that 44 mag round is intimidating, just like the revolver. :D

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Yeah, 9sillymeter people all shut down and slink off when a "real gun" barks. Here's my real ammo comparison...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I don't worry about having enough 44 mag. ammo, I roll my own. I use a Nosler 300gr HP for my hunting loads and a 240gr. lead truncated cone bullet for target shooting and I load these so I get the same reaction of the gun as with the 300gr. I always shoot at least 100 rounds during a range trip and sometimes I will send 200 down range. I can't wait until I can get a S&W 560VXR or a S&W 500. When I pull my 44SS8 out at the range, it gets a lot of attention and more when it goes off.:D
Just tried out my first 300 grain JHPs today, Hornady XTPs over 18 grains of H110. The Super Blackhawk shot them pretty good, but my 4" Tracker shot the best groups its ever shot with this load. My first 10 yard group was about 1" with two slugs going through the same 1/2" hole.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Just tried out my first 300 grain JHPs today, Hornady XTPs over 18 grains of H110. The Super Blackhawk shot them pretty good, but my 4" Tracker shot the best groups its ever shot with this load. My first 10 yard group was about 1" with two slugs going through the same 1/2" hole.
I use 20 grains of H-110 with the Nosler 300gr. HP and at 100 yards with the 8 3/8 inch barrel, it keeps them in a 4.5 inch group, most of the time. This is a 115% compressed load and it flies at 1402 FPS.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Yeah, 9sillymeter people all shut down and slink off when a "real gun" barks. Here's my real ammo comparison...

Laughing at you when I break out my 120 mm twin barrel cannon to go squirrel hunting. :D

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
I got a Rossi 92 and a Taurus Tracker in 44mag for Christmas. First time out, the range officer got in his little cart and drove over to see what was so loud. I told him it was me screaming ever time those Taurus Ribber grips bit my hand. Got some Pachmayr grips now. I'll find out Saturday if they help.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts

Serious question though: What does it cost you per shot?

I have a S&W M1917 .45 that i use a moon clip for because in my area , .45acp is anywhere from $.40 to $.60 a shot while .45 LC is about $1.60 to $2.00 a shot

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
If I was did the math, I would never shoot again.

Serious question though: What does it cost you per shot?

I have a S&W M1917 .45 that i use a moon clip for because in my area , .45acp is anywhere from $.40 to $.60 a shot while .45 LC is about $1.60 to $2.00 a shot

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Oh, I dunno...I don't have any problem sticking my Super Blackhawk in my front pocket...ya jus' gotta have the right pocket for the tool...

View attachment 110143

And the OP is right, that 44 mag round is intimidating, just like the revolver. :D
Nice holster! And I have to agree about the 44mag. I know a guy with a 44mag (Colt Python, I think). When he handed it to me I thought, "I'm not going to like the recoil on this thing." I couldn't have been more wrong. The weight of the gun ate the recoil for breakfast! When we pulled out my S&W99 in 40S&W it had heftier recoil. Besides, whipping out a revolver that large will probably be enough to cause to the BG to go weak in the knees and faint, preventing you from having to shoot him/her.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts